[APP] Entity

#1 User is offline   TroyMac1ure 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:35 AM

Halo 2 Editing Program

Entity was started long ago and developed to work on H1/CE/H2, but since I have taken over updating (v2.0+) I have focused on H2x only, so sections of it may not work with other version of Halo.

FEATURES:
  • Tag Editor
  • Tag extraction / injection
  • Bitmap extraction / injection
  • Visual BSP Editor
  • Multiple viewers: Model, Collision (Partial editor), Lightmap, Portal
  • Mainmenu editor
  • Open Source

It has numerous other features that aren't listed here. It lists RTH, but this hasn't been touched since I started on it. One more thing on the to-do list.

DOWNLOAD:
Entity 2.1.12 (May 9, 2011 release)
http://www.remnantmo...ty%202.1.12.rar

Entity 2.1.12 Source (May 9, 2011 release)
http://www.remnantmo...12%20Source.rar

#2 User is offline   Zone117x 

• PipPip

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for your work on Entity

#3 User is offline   Prey 

• PipPip
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

Good job :)

#4 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0
  • Group: Administrators

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

If you REALLY want to be open source, I'd suggest you use an online SCM like Google Code. You can also host compiled copies of your program with Google Code via its Downloads page.

#5 User is offline   DoorM4n 

• A Remnant
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

Great Job Troymac! You do wonderful work for the modders here! I appreciate it very much and I know others do too!

#6 User is offline   TroyMac1ure 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:49 AM

View Postkornman00, on 10 May 2011 - 06:20 PM, said:

If you REALLY want to be open source, I'd suggest you use an online SCM like Google Code. You can also host compiled copies of your program with Google Code via its Downloads page.

I started looking into code hosting when you last posted, but I've never used a code hosting site, so I don't even know where to start. I signed up for an account with one of them, but that's where I left off...

#7 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:23 AM

If it's just going to be you working on the source code (or rather, just you accessing the source repo), then it shouldn't be too hard for you to get acquainted with. Also, you'll benefit from having your source actually controlled, so you can track changes or revert to old, working, versions of your code.

#8 User is offline   TroyMac1ure 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:56 AM

View Postkornman00, on 11 May 2011 - 04:23 AM, said:

If it's just going to be you working on the source code (or rather, just you accessing the source repo), then it shouldn't be too hard for you to get acquainted with. Also, you'll benefit from having your source actually controlled, so you can track changes or revert to old, working, versions of your code.

I do like that that idea. I keep every source release of my code for that purpose, but a community of help wouldn't hurt.
I read comparisons between many of them, but which do you figure is the easiest/most useful for what I need?

#9 User is offline   OpsY 

• Pip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

Entity <3

#10 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:52 PM

View PostTroyMac1ure, on 12 May 2011 - 04:56 AM, said:

I read comparisons between many of them, but which do you figure is the easiest/most useful for what I need?

I use both Google Code and Bitbucket. In both cases, I use Mercurial for my SCM client since, unlike SVN, it runs on distributed model.

#11 User is offline   DoorM4n 

• A Remnant
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationHouston

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

Does this entity version corrupt the map if I rename a tag? Also, does this version build meta correctly without corruption of meta? How about duplication? :eyesroll:

#12 User is offline   TroyMac1ure 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

View PostDoorM4n, on 13 May 2011 - 02:21 PM, said:

Does this entity version corrupt the map if I rename a tag? Also, does this version build meta correctly without corruption of meta? How about duplication? :eyesroll:

Are these issues you had in previous versions? If so, then I didn't change anything there.

Otherwise, renaming only allows the tag to be renamed longer if there is padding space availble, so nothing should get shifted.
As for the other two, they would need to be tested. Anyone have feedback on these?

#13 User is offline   DoorM4n 

• A Remnant
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationHouston

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

Oh okay, well I used to have problem with really early versions of Entity. I haven't checked with your versions yet. I will check out all of those things i mentioned and let you know.

EDIT:

Okay, well duplicating tags by themselves or duplicating recursively does not seem to work at all. Entity says that my map becomes unavailable. Renaming does work at any length. I am not too sure what you meant when you said it needs to have padding space available, but I know renaming works.

When you save meta a build it into the map, it works, too.

OH and Drag and Drop Fucks with the dependencies a lot. I think my model dependency turned to an effect. :kic:

-----------------------------
With all that said and the beautiful bsp viewer, this has got to be the best version of entity yet. Guys, download this if you want an awesome halo 2 mapping tool.

This post has been edited by DoorM4n: 13 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

#14 User is offline   Xerax 

• Double Faggot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:17 AM

Bug report :P

Clone a chunk and click "Add Meta to Map". It'll say the map is open in another process and corrupt the map.

#15 User is offline   TroyMac1ure 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:41 AM

View PostDoorM4n, on 13 May 2011 - 08:38 PM, said:

Renaming does work at any length. I am not too sure what you meant when you said it needs to have padding space available, but I know renaming works.

I mean each tag usually has some padding after the name (empty spaces). I just use those spaces for renaming. As long as there are enough spaces for the name you want, it's no problem. Most of the time, ppl are just changing names or adding a number on the end, so 5-6 characters isn't a big deal. If you try to do a really long name, you'll see it gets cut short (this is due to running out of padding). Basically it just keeps this a quick and simple method that has limitations, but doesn't risk breaking your map ;)

View PostXerax, on 14 May 2011 - 12:17 AM, said:

Bug report :P

Clone a chunk and click "Add Meta to Map". It'll say the map is open in another process and corrupt the map.

Same bug as above. "This" error doesn't corrupt the map, but cloning does have issues in some tags. I just fixed the bug, it was leaving the map open in an old variable, then re-opening it in a new variable. Needless to say, the file would get "locked" and unaccessible until Entity was restarted.

As for cloning, I think the majority of issues is <still> with plugins. I think ppl have been cloning, then rebuilding the maps with the cloned chunks?
An easy test I found to see if that tag plugin is NOT working properly (although it may even still not work if this passes) is to select a tag, then write down the tag size from the top right corner. Clone a chunk and hit okay. Go back in and remove the cloned chunk. Check the size. If the plugin is correct, the size shouldn't change (as you just added a chunk, then removed it). If the size drops, the plugin is missing some reflexive information, so look for a different plugin. I noticed this on a couple of tags a while back (I think SBSP for one).
If the size doesn't change, well, I dunno then.

This post has been edited by TroyMac1ure: 14 May 2011 - 02:46 AM

#16 User is offline   DoorM4n 

• A Remnant
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:26 AM

Awesome! I'm very thankful that you are improving entity so much. Keep up the work!

#17 User is offline   Xerax 

• Double Faggot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:53 PM

Allowing us to sort the columns, in the ident listview would be a life saver. Scrolling down a huge sbsp ident listview looking for sounds is a killer.

#18 User is offline   NotZac 

• ¡!¡!¡!¡!
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:59 PM

View PostXerax, on 15 May 2011 - 07:53 PM, said:

Allowing us to sort the columns, in the ident listview would be a life saver. Scrolling down a huge sbsp ident listview looking for sounds is a killer.

That's actually a good idea for some of the larger tags. I support this.

#19 User is offline   TroyMac1ure 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

View PostNotZac, on 15 May 2011 - 07:59 PM, said:

That's actually a good idea for some of the larger tags. I support this.

Noted.

#20 User is offline   Xerax 

• Double Faggot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:07 PM

Also in meta editors, if you press Ctrl+F a dialog pops up with all the reflexative names, if you click one, it takes you to it in the meta editor. I hate scrolling for a small reflexative in scnr for example. :P (If you can obviously).

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic