Halomods Community Portal: What goes in this section? - Halomods Community Portal

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What goes in this section?

All kinds of fantastic answers inside.

#1 User is offline   teh lag 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:34 AM

So there's this subforum called "Projects." Suppose that I am your average user - when should I (or should I not) post something in here?

As a general rule, this section is for mods that are a cut or two above average... to quote the section description:

Highlighted mod-teams, programs, and other projects are posted here.

"But teh lag, is my mod good enough to be highlighted!? Am I a cut or two above average!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!!!!!?"

Calm down there, my friend. I'm getting to that part.

As another general rule: when in doubt, hit up a staff member first (via IM, PM, whatever you want). We'd also like to encourage people to post things in the Engine subsections rather than here; projects we care to highlight would then be moved for all to marvel out. Go ahead and post something here if you want, but part of why we require staff approval to start a thread is so we can move threads out if we don't feel they belong here.

Basically, this is where large or otherwise noteworthy undertakings can have easily-visible updates posted. Think back to the original Halomods; there was the "Outstanding Mods" section reserved for special projects that were chosen to be highlighted. This section is like that.

Since the site just launched not a month ago and we don't really have much actually *content* to speak of, there's no sense in being too strict with this at the moment. That said, don't be alarmed if we move something posted here into one of the engine subsections: we just don't want to get people in the habit of dumping all their mods in here, leaving the Engine subsections out in the cold, to be populated with nothing but questions.

If nothing else, expect us (the Halomods staff) to sweep through here from time to time and shuffle things around as we figure out exactly how we want to organize things.

#2 Guest_L0d3x_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

So what's the point of showing the "normal" projects here now, since (the majority of) people only check the CMT subsection?
This is a serious question by the way.

#3 User is offline   teh lag 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "what's the point". CMT is big and the team wanted a section for posting updates, and the fact that we're using OS made Kornman want to help highlight our work. The Projects section still shows unread posts if someone missed something not in the CMT subsection and if they want to limit themselves to only CMT I think it's safe to say they probably wouldn't be checking out the other stuff anyway.

Are you suggesting moving the CMT subsection out to the main forum (which wouldn't solve much since then people wouldn't be in the Projects area at all) or moving the projects to their respective Blam! subforums (which gives them even less exposure) or getting rid of the CMT subsection (which is here for the aforementioned reasons)?

#4 Guest_L0d3x_*

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

While I don't think this forum gets as much traffic as say Halomaps (frankly i didn't know this site was back up until CMT started promoting it), I believe that other projects would get more noticed (on this particular forum) if there basically just wasn't a specific CMT devoted section. There's already so little projects advertised on here that it's silly to even distantiate CMT from the little amount of projects here already.

Honestly as it is now you might as well completely get rid of the other projects since they barely get any attention (on this forum). You can see that alone by just looking at the very low amount of views those projects get compared to the topics in the CMT subsection.

I'm not really making concrete suggestions, rather just expressing concern.

#5 Guest_L0d3x_*

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

Wooh for being ignored!

#6 User is offline   teh lag 

• Advanced Member

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:44 PM

I don't have much else to say other than I disagree that it's a problem. CMT is a very popular project so of course that section is going to attract a lot of attention.

Moreover I don't buy your argument that projects in here get no attention - Selentic's Requiem and the Open Sauce thread have well over 1k views, while most threads in the Blam Generation 1 section struggle to break that mark; the only thread with more than 1k that I see is the Halo Anniversary thread which is barely over 3k. Red Skulls and Tortuga also have a comparatively high number of views given the low amount of traffic the site gets overall.

#7 Guest_L0d3x_*

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:20 PM

k

#8 Guest_L0d3x_*

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:05 AM

Yeah I don't think you were actually getting my point.
We all know you guys are advertising this site with the CMT section. So you guys get an increase in traffic, cool! But almost ALL that traffic goes into the CMT section since that is where you refer your people to. Most of those people are too lazy/careless to look outside that linked section.

If the "CMT section" was merged with the "less exciting/anticipated normal projects" you'd see a more evenly distributed amount of views for sure.

But whatever, you seem too stubborn to want to see the truth, and of course divert attention from your own project towards other projects.
I mean it's best that all people know about is CMT SPv3 after all!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If this does not change your mind, please remove the project lumoria topic I created. As I do not want it to be a part of a site that only/mostly values CMT over any other projects and regulates it's traffic in a matching fashion.

This post has been edited by L0d3x: 23 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

#9 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

Wow, seriously dude?

CMT's project isn't just a "one-threaded project". Hence their own dedicated subsection. I'm not going to plague the Projects subforum with their dozen or so threads just to appease whatever hurt butt you're touting.

We're not here to herd users. Users can come and go as they please, view whatever topics or forums they want, or just lurk if that's how they live life. If we're essentially going to "force" them to view other threads (which they can easily find if they feel like browsing the site), we might as well add advertisements to the site as well! Thankfully, neither of those things are going to happen.

If we did your proposed merge, it would only complicate the Projects namespace. Not very user friendly there, buddy!

Are you forgetting how you PM'd me about setting up a "TM Mapping Team" subsection back on August 3rd? I didn't object to your idea, and even provided you with a breakdown of why CMT got their subsection:

kornman00 said:

I agreed to have a special CMT subforum for a couple of reasons:

1. teh_lag is my right-hand man for running the site
2. They've decided to make Halomods their base of operations (news/downloads etc all get hosted here)
3. They're using OpenSauce in their new stuff
4. The amount of threads that were going to be spawned would fill up the Halo1 forum pretty easily
(5. a couple other details)

I'd need to know why you guys need your own subforum here on Halomods. Eg, if you're planning to make this your base of operations, if you're planning on developing multiple maps in the coming months, if you're going to be doing developer "diaries", etc.

Basically, I'm not just going to create project subforums just for the hell of it (I didn't even create one for OpenSauce). I'm not trying to pollute the main forum 'cloud' with too much information.

A couple of replies later, you said:

L0d3x said:

After having talked it over with the others, we don't think we'd be able to bring constant updates à la CMT since we prefer showing off more progress just at once.

You didn't throw a hissy fit then, I really don't understand why you're throwing one now.

#10 Guest_L0d3x_*

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:59 PM

Hehe, read my posts instead of commenting on the past.
The TM thing is irrelevant as well. You guys are funneling people into the CMT subsection, you know it. You say people are free to browse the rest of the forums (talk about stating the obvious), but people don't act as ideal as you'd like to believe (and you SHOULD know that as well).

I am not going to repeat the perfectly valid points I made in my posts above, points you chose to ignore, probably because you couldn't think of a decent reply.

So instead you grab hold of an old, irrelevant PM.

Teh Lag apparently agreed to some of the points I was making, via an AIM conversation with Higuy.

I expect more of u Kornman.

Now go make recorded animations work or something :kic:

EDIT: I would like one of those awards, like one for not holding back what's on my mind, I'd consider sending over some belgian chocolates for this

This post has been edited by L0d3x: 23 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

#11 User is offline   Webst3r 

• delishis bacon
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:59 PM

View PostL0d3x, on 23 August 2011 - 10:05 AM, said:

We all know you guys are advertising this site with the CMT section. So you guys get an increase in traffic, cool! But almost ALL that traffic goes into the CMT section since that is where you refer your people to. Most of those people are too lazy/careless to look outside that linked section.

Advertising the site with just CMT? Nah, bro. HaloMods used to be HUGE. And Korman is doing something awesome by bringing it back. HaloMods, and CMT are both big. If they wanted a site just for CMT they'd tell everyone to go to their website. Also saying people would be too clueless to go to other areas on the site is your opinion. HaloMods has more to offer than CMT.

View PostL0d3x, on 23 August 2011 - 04:59 PM, said:

You guys are funneling people into the CMT subsection, you know it. You say people are free to browse the rest of the forums (talk about stating the obvious), but people don't act as ideal as you'd like to believe (and you SHOULD know that as well).

If they're funneling traffic, a CMT logo would be everywhere, Under the HaloMods logo it would say "Home of CMT," and every time that I clicked a link, I would be redirected to the CMT forum.

And then you have the audacity to ask for an award.

#12 User is offline   teh lag 

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:44 PM

(I'd rather this be over for the moment, the last thing the site needs so early on is a Powered-By-CMT war)

e: that means stop posting, other channels are suitable for matters like such as

#13 User is offline   Saxon 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

where can we post source code projects and solutions of a reversed engineered game like Halo CE or Halo 2 for example, if one reverse engineers the Halo CE Halo 2 Halo 3 Halo: Reach and Halo 4 .xbe/.xex files and map files and any other content and makes a completely compiliable/buildable source code solution but without posting the game content where the game content is only referenced and where the compilers/builders of the source code solution would have to already have that content ready to use in the source code solution? I have not reversed engineered Halo CE or Halo 2 I do not think I am that good at programming yet but let's say in the future when I have refined my programming skills that I do this would I be able to post the reversed engineered source code solution however not posting the actual game content which those who download and use the source code solution for the reverse engineered games that those who want to compile/build the source code solution will already have to have by obtaining it by what ever means they obtained it

This post has been edited by Saxon: 26 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

#14 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

google code
github
bitbucket

etc

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1