Halomods Community Portal: Halo Wars Modding - Halomods Community Portal

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Halo Wars Modding

Anyone still interested?

Poll: Halo Wars Modding (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Halo Wars Moddin'?

1. Yes (24 votes [82.76%])

Percentage of vote: 82.76%

2. No (5 votes [17.24%])

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 User is offline   Codykins 

• The Hug Master
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:01 PM

I was, and still am interested in Halo Wars Modding.
One thing that mainly caught my interest in particular that I wanted to get into the game, was that Black, 'Heavy Duty' Warthog shown in only one cut-scene of the game, which is crashing.

I don't know if it is a fully usable vehicle, or if it was made specifically for the cut-scene itself; Either way, I've always been curious on finding out.

#42 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0
  • Group: Administrators

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:34 AM

I finished refractoring my "quick-and-dirty" archive expander the other day and I've been working on the archive builder these last few days (the former was pretty much already coded a while back, just not in an as-pretty or adjustable manner) in whatever free time I find.

Something you (modders) may find interesting: from what I'm seeing in the game saves, it should be possible to mod most game data (eg, number of Mac shots, cost of some tech, etc), boot up a campaign game, save it, then resign that save for use on a retail console with your changes still in place. Those changes may even be retained across games (ie, after you quit the campaign game and go do another level or maybe skrimish)...so it may be possible to mod the retail game via campaign saves. Haven't verified that yet, so don't hold me to it. Just an educated assessment. If this has the possibility of affecting XBL though, that's going to be a big issue (one that I want to confirm or deny before anything gets released)

#43 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

I just finished testing the process that builds an ERA archive from scratch and everything seems to be in working order. I just want to run a few more tests, plus spiff up the UI (note, it's command line) and I'll bundle it all together as a public beta!

Oh, and my leader changes and such (from the spartans r us video) weren't present in campaign, so I don't see any real problems coming from this at the time (even if someone modded a campaign mission and used a game save in a retail game, those changes wouldn't have any effect on skrimish games).

#44 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

I finished the UI earlier and the patch file for the XEX, however I'm having issues with a level that I'm building so I need to investigate if it's a problem with my ERA builder. After that's resolved, all that will be left is bundling it all and posting :)

#45 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:51 PM

Release thread for KSoft.Tool, the tool you'll need for modding the game.

#46 User is offline   BansheeFriend 

• Pip

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

Are we ever going to see Texture a/o Model Extraction from this game? From what I can tell, It is even possible to get Animations?

#47 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:41 AM

As it stands, I am no longer in a position to release new tools for this game or else I would. The model and textures are in a custom format, while animations are made with Granny (see RAD Game Tools). UI is done with Scaleform (in case I never mentioned that before).

#48 User is offline   NachoBoy350 

• Pip

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

I have been reading you posts kornman, and you sir are a GENIUS! I have always wanted to play moded games on halo wars. It gets boring playing by the rules ;)

I was wondering if retail consoles can mod skirmishes.. It would be... Interesting to have all players at 99units and infinite resources.

Have you ever considered editing the skulls abilities? You could increase difficulty of the skulls (like the rebel leader skull) or add new ones :) like um, all players get +10 population.

Sorry if I sound like a "troll" who doesn't know what he's talking about, because I do not... Haha, I hope to see some retail skirmish mods :)

#49 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

You're not going to be able to get on Live and play with modded maps if that's what you're asking.

The only way a retail console run the game mods is if the console was modded itself to allow unsigned code to run (JTAG, etc). I just stick to devkits.

#50 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

#51 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

I'm happy to say that I have some sauce cooking that will put some modding abilities for this game in the hands of the general public (ie, without a devkit; and no, you won't be able to cheat in matchmaking). Expect more details between now and the month of April!

#52 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

I replied to a post on HBO with this news earlier this month, but I didn't post about it here.

I have a Halo Wars campaign save editor in the works that will be featured in Horizon in the near future.

#53 User is offline   millergram 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:57 AM

Not to a bother or anything hows the tool been coming along?
p.s. wish I had a jtag/dev.

#54 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:05 PM

A campaign save editor won't be released anytime soon, at least not under Horizon's flag. I was wanting to add one, along with an Anniversary editor, but the schedules for the guy I normally work with on Horizon just aren't working out right now.

I updated KSoft.Tool a few weeks ago to support sound extraction from the game files. That's about all there is in terms of "news"

#55 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:47 PM

For those interested, I posted links and details in this halomods thread on the open sourced backend of KSoft.Tool that handles Halo Wars content.

To add to the posts above, most of the game save work I did can be found in this source code. As I mention in the post, however, the game save code isn't complete (there's still lots of state data that needs to be parsed).

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic