• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:33 PM

1. The cake is a lie!
I get what your saying:
"Layers and flavors with a cherry on top, instead of building blocks"

2. Absolutely necessarily?
No, but I do have some grand ideas with this more "LIVE" scheme, which I will not discuss, before I cut my self.
The gamespy protocol is indeed resourceful but a bit too limited. Especially when it comes to getting understand how all players are performing in CTF for example.
Btcc22 is currently working on a project which is basically playing with the data gamespy protocol sends, so I do see the potential.

As for a different method of handling things, not in the short run, it will take too much time to realize this at this moment.
For the short run (if necessary) I'd rather limit the amount of servers that send statistics than invest this valuable time to re-code the way the statistics processing/handling takes place.
Although the later might be better for expansion in the future.

#22 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

I wasn't suggesting you use the QR2 protocol, just the simple stats it provides seems good enough for instant dedi stats. Of course, I view stats as review material (post-game), not on-demand material (in-game, or externally viewing in-game). Would be different if Halo was built for strategy and such, but it's not. Pretty simple formula. I don't know, I just don't see it as something that important that I would invest time into for expanding on, but I assume your current usage info suggests otherwise.

#23 User is offline   SeanAero 

• Halo President
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

It's a feature nothing more, eventually I "hope" people will use it to keep track of tournament matches.
I mostly use it to see who I am playing against, people tend to use fake names.

#24 User is offline   CLuis 

• Pip

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:07 PM

I like cake.

#25 User is offline   Shock120 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

Aww, I thought this was the Portal Cake baking forums. :(

#26 User is offline   scopedknife 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:04 AM

View PostSeanAero, on 03 June 2011 - 12:11 AM, said:

As your probably aware it's not a completely original idea, however I do intend to give it it's own twist.
What keeps you from playing multiplayer?

HOLY CRAP THAT'S A NICE CONNECTION! lol but this is a great idea

#27 User is offline   SeanAero 

• Halo President
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

Figured I post a bit of an "Easter" update.

As most of you know HaloRank was taken down at the end of last year for "scalability" reasons.
To be more specific the database structure and code that I created could not handle the amount of servers that were sending statistics to HaloRank.

Main reason for this was when I started out, I never imagined that I should take something like scalability, performance and optimization into account. So I learned it the hard way as the server count approached 70, the server load had a nice number: 8 showing.
(This means I would need 8 cores running at 100% to keep up with the current tasks/data that was coming in at that exact moment) The server that runs HaloRank "only" has 4 cores and from those 4 I'm suppose to use only 1. So yeah... you can imagine the enormous que of tasks that was still waiting. I was forced to pull the plug.

Although I was happy with the amount of people that showed interest, I was also a little frustrated. So I seeked advice, Btcc22 (known from HAC) explained a few things to me and pointed out a thing or two on what I should keep in mind while coding. Always useful to have some people around that actually study something Computer Science related.

So at the end of November 2011, I went back to the drawing board and forced my self to do it right this time.
Completely mapped the core of the database including all types and attributes being used in Excel. This helped with showing relations, between data and tables, as well as showing bottlenecks in the database. Once the mapping was fully done, I was forced to take a two month break, due to some serious college issues.
Fortunate when you put your mind to something it usually works out quite well and so I'm currently typing all my posts from China(10,000km away from home) as I'm working towards graduating this coming summer.

With no more classes and mainly working from Monday to Friday on my graduation assignment, I noticed that I actually have a bit of free time during the nights and weekends.
This was a bit unexpected and I decided to pick up HaloRank again where I left off.

Currently things are going slow but steady and at this point I can guarantee that the system is much, much, much faster! The functionality has expended and today I wanted to show something new which you can expect to see the next time HaloRank is online again.
I hope you like it.

Posted Image
Please share your thoughts and feel free to share what else you would like to see in charts and graph forms. There is a lot planned, but I don't want to give everything away yet.

One more things, for those with a Facebook account and interested to stay updated on HaloRank and some other Halo facts and Halo news. There is a HaloRank Facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/HaloRank [No obligations to join]

That's all for now, Happy Easter! (Although China does not celebrate Easter)

This post has been edited by SeanAero: 08 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

#28 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Users Awards

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

Definitely check out Tableau. It works with many data sources, including Excel. Since you're a student, you can get their stuff on JourneyEd.com for 70$ to 100$ compared to 1800$+. From what I recall in the video demo I reviewed, it can publish graphs and such to a site without much hassle. So you may be able to work it into your pipeline (depending on the student-edition's restrictions).

#29 User is offline   SeanAero 

• Halo President
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

View Postkornman00, on 08 April 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

Definitely check out Tableau. It works with many data sources, including Excel. Since you're a student, you can get their stuff on JourneyEd.com for 70$ to 100$ compared to 1800$+. From what I recall in the video demo I reviewed, it can publish graphs and such to a site without much hassle. So you may be able to work it into your pipeline (depending on the student-edition's restrictions).

Thanks for the suggestion.
I had a look at the demo of the different products Tableau offers and it seems the "Tableue Desktop" student license which you mentioned comes with a 12-month period.
This would mean I could enjoy the $70 dollar pricing for a year before moving on to the higher pricing rating.
Second in order to publish to the web one also needs "Tableau Server" which comes with the following notion: "Contact us for pricing". (Sneaky)
The few live example they have on their website felt a bit slow, perhaps due to the massive amount of data they show(?).

I think I rather stick to HighCharts JS which comes at a $80 dollar year license price (for the type of website I'm building) with a yearly 30% of original price renewal fee (80*0.3 = $24).
Price wise I'm digging this, it feels fast on load and it's also easy to work with as it takes in JSON.

#30 User is offline   SeanAero 

• Halo President
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:07 AM

Help me choose, top or bottom?

Posted Image
(Each game will have these types of graphs for review)

Edit: I did a few tweaks on the graph and figured I'd put up a Demo Graph.
As an image is nice and all, but doesn't really give the full experience.

http://dev.halorank....hart_player.php

Graphs can be shown or hidden by clicking on the player names in the legend on the right.

This post has been edited by SeanAero: 17 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users