• You cannot reply to this topic

Halo 4 Announced

#21 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0
  • Group: Administrators

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:24 PM

View PostNotZac, on 07 June 2011 - 02:52 AM, said:

it doesn't really match either Onyx or the sphere in Halo Wars. Meh, :debatable:

The Dyson sphere in HW went kablam, remember :P?

#22 User is offline   NotZac 

• ¡!¡!¡!¡!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

Right, shit.

#23 User is offline   Prototape 

• Wot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:11 AM

Might as well post what I said on ModHalo about it, sums up my thoughts on them expanding it:

I think it's a bit early to judge whether they're milking the series. Sure at first when I hear they're making up to Halo 6 I'm just like "WAT", and I'm still a bit weary. But the Halo universe is huge, and while they've covered a lot of material in the games, there's still so many things they could dwell into that they barely touched in the last 3. Don't get me wrong, I love the stories of the old ones, but I feel like too much time was wasted running and gunning through the flood and covenant, they didn't focus on things that make the books so awesome. Honestly, I think the stories in the first 3 are shit compared to what the books get into. If these new ones are as awesome as the books, then they could make many more Halos for all I care.

Not saying anything about anyone who disagrees with them expanding it. Have your views, that's fine, but I think people get too attached to the "I'm an original Halo player" mentality, where any thought of expansion in the story is selling out. There's a lot that I would love to see happen to the Halo series such as getting more into the story of the Forerunners which is obviously the direction this is getting into. I don't know about them time traveling, but there were various shield worlds stationed around the universe, you have to imagine a portion of the race was able to escape. I know the story is "They're all wiped out", but I think that was just setting us up for the shock of "Zomg there's still some left".

Sure story expansion could just be left up to the books. If that were the direction they took, I'd be fine with it, I love reading. But I also love the visual experience that comes with games and how you get to play through the story. This isn't just some fanboy counter-argument. I'll admit, I'm really attached to the halo series, but I also want what's best for it. And I think this is what's best, especially after the cliffhanger they left at the end of Halo 3. I would be more jelly if they just let it rest after blowing us away with this whole new universe full of great story potential.

I'm remaining in a "I'm not holding my breath" mentality, soley on the fact that we haven't seen anything yet aside from sudden new armor, a cock piece, and "oh look a new gun floating around". But the Halo series is full of inconsistency, a fact I'm now used to when I see these teaser trailers. But just because I'm not getting my hopes up doesn't mean I'm not keeping an open mind about it before I start picking at every pixel I see on the screen, because they have the potential to make this bigger than the past games. They also have the potential to fuck it up, but until I see more, I'm not making any judgements.

#24 User is offline   theycallmechad 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for that, Prototape. It was needed.

From what I understand, Halo is the most valuable title in entertainment ever. More money has been made on Halo than any movie series, book series, or video game series. Until they stop making money on it, they will keep making Halo games. As shallow as this might sound, or as much of a sell-out you may think they are, understand that we would have NO video games if it weren't for money. Halo 4 was a no-brainer.

Complain if you want about the trailer. Complain about the armor. Take issue with Cortona. But understand that you're judging an entire game off of about 15 seconds of pre-rendered animations. I personally wouldn't care if Master Chief looked exactly like a Roman soldier with a scuba diving oxygen mask, so long as the game is fun. That's why I play them. Give the game a chance.

This post has been edited by theycallmechad: 08 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

#25 User is offline   shadowkhas 

• Definitely Gay
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationSL, UT

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

The scuba gear would be impractical in a firefight.

Posted Image

#26 User is offline   Bobblehob 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:13 PM

View PostSelentic, on 06 June 2011 - 08:50 PM, said:

Trailer was fucking awful, game probably won't be much better either.

Care to explain?

#27 User is offline   Shoutrvb 

• Friend
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:14 PM

I agree with most of what Chad and Prototape had to say. Many of us here can safely that we've been long-time fans of the series (most of us, since the beginning). We can all -- with good education -- back that there's so much more to Halo than what the games touch on, and I, for one, believe those things should be explored. Don't get me wrong, it's natural to fear saturation of the series, but the developers are well-aware the anger that would follow from fans if they started just churning out shitty games. Halo -- as long as it sticks to its core greatness, will always be great. The question is: Will they toss out cheap imitations of something great with a new storyline to interest people for a few hours, or will they make something even greater? I remain optimistic until it's proven that they're incapable of satisfying the core audience.

#28 User is offline   Wholfe 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:02 AM

mistakes can be learned from. and i always hate early info like this, as its not near the "finished" state and anything can change at a moments notice in the game. they might announce a big change or do something stupid, just to take it out later...

#29 User is offline   shadowkhas 

• Definitely Gay
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationSL, UT

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:59 AM

That's why nobody should read anything into it beyond:
-There will be Halo 4.
-It'll probably pick up right where the Legendary ending for H3 stopped.

#30 User is offline   Shoutrvb 

• Friend
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:59 PM

View Postshadowkhas, on 09 June 2011 - 05:59 AM, said:

That's why nobody should read anything into it beyond:
-There will be Halo 4.
-It'll probably pick up right where the Legendary ending for H3 stopped.

Truth. Personally, though, that's all it really took to get me excited. I have high hopes for where they'll take the story.

#31 User is offline   Codykins 

• The Hug Master
  • PipPip
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:24 AM

I look forward to the game, as it's a new Halo title in general.
In simple terms, I just hope 343 Industries doesn't mess things up very much. <_<

Most people don't know that Chief has always had Zero-G boosters on his armor; I've heard numerous people complaining about it without even containing the knowledge within themselves.

#32 User is offline   TCK 

• Script, AI, UI widgets, cutscenes, solo gameplay.
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationSC

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:46 AM

I cannot wait one more second for this entire trilogy to be released.

#33 User is offline   Wholfe 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

second trilogy lol. whats six in a series?

#34 User is offline   Grimdoomer 

• PipPip

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

Meh I sorta like the trailer, I mean it was short and blaint, but for the first teaser it has me interested to see more, so imo it did its job. I just really hope it has a kick ass campaign.

#35 User is offline   gruntlord6 

• PipPip

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

View PostGrimdoomer, on 12 June 2011 - 03:27 PM, said:

Meh I sorta like the trailer, I mean it was short and blaint, but for the first teaser it has me interested to see more, so imo it did its job. I just really hope it has a kick ass campaign.

Same.

#36 User is offline   theycallmechad 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

Greetings. Just curious: what were everybody's thoughts on Halo 4? I don't own it and have only played it briefly to date, so I can't give an accurate assessment. Is it as horrible as everybody thought it would be? (I say this as if anybody here is actually going to log on and reply!)

#37 User is offline   Shoutrvb 

• Friend
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:12 AM

Well, I personally liked Halo 4 quite a bit more than Halo Reach, but that was mostly because I really didn't like Reach much at all. That said, I sadly don't play much Halo anymore.. however, if I did, Halo 4 is rather fun.

#38 User is offline   Eaton 

• Pip
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

I liked Halo 4 a lot. The story is great and the multiplayer solid. It didn't quite have the same magical appeal Halo 3 did to me, but it was worthy of the Halo 4 name.

I miss the gold old Halo 2 days. I am curious to see what some of the past legends could accomplish with the new engine.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users