Halomods Community Portal: CMT FAQ (Read this thread please) - Halomods Community Portal

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CMT FAQ (Read this thread please)

#1 User is offline   teh lag 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:49 PM

This thread shall serve the purpose of answering some frequently-asked or anticipated questions, so people can either find answers themselves or so others can post a link to this thread in response, thus saving everyone precious, precious time.

Questions about the mod

Q: Is SPv3 a continuation of SPV2 or are you guys starting over?
A: Yeah, it's a continuation of SPV2, but we're also planning to do other stuff. Read the other threads in here.

Q: What's the deal with the B-Team and TSC: Evolved?
A: The B-Team is continuing the SPV3 project - they're modding the existing campaign maps as we've been doing since SPV2. TSC: Evolved was a concurrent project, whose goal was to remake the level The Silent Cartographer completely from the ground-up. Both projects will be using many of the same weapons, vehicles, and general gameplay upgrades (though there will be some differences). However, TSC: Evolved's goal was to be a far more "polished" experience, while the B-Team's continuation of SPV3 will be more loose, diverse and... well, mod-like.

Q: Will there be multi-player maps? Are you guys doing anything with MP?
A: Probably not.

Q: When will the mod come out?
A: The mod will come out incrementally (a few maps at a time). One map has already been released! 3 years later (lol), here's another!

Q: How do I know if my computer can run the mod?
A: If your computer has reasonable specs (no netbooks, no toasters!) and was made some time in the last 4-5 years you should be fine. Releases will contain tips for improving your performance.

Questions about Open Sauce

Q: What is Open Sauce?
A: Open Sauce is a project by Kornman00 & friends, designed to provide significant upgrades and features for working with the Halo games. It provides many things for developers (such as a standardized framework for adding to the game's code), modders (such as increasing the amount of memory the game can use for map data), and players (such as adding the ability to change your game's version number on-the-fly to allow you to join servers on any version). CMT is using it to enhance our projects.

Q: Where can I get Open Sauce?
A: You can always find the latest public release on the [https://bitbucket.or...se/downloads]OS BitBucket downloads page[/url].

Q: How do I use Open Sauce?
A: If you're just playing the game, simply download and run the installer in the above link. If you plan to use it as a modder, I suggest also reading the [https://bitbucket.or...ce-release]wiki (also currently on BitBucket)[/url] and then just experimenting with it. If you're a programmer, you can clone a copy of the Mercurial repo.

Q: Will the mod be using Open Sauce?
A: Yeah.

Q: Will I need to use Open Sauce to play the mod?
A: You do not need it to play the initial 2012 release of Truth & Reconciliation. However, you will need to use it for our other maps.

Q: How do I know if I can run Open Sauce?
A: If you have a legal copy of Halo PC/CE updated to 1.10 you should be fine.

Questions about the team

Well apparently someone's impersonated Masterz and Myself on a not-official "CMT" page on ModDB:
Q: Is this ModDb page official?
A: No! This isn't us! If you know who signed up in our names please let them know that we think it's really weird that they did that!!!

Questions about yourself

Q: Can I be a tester?
A: Not today. Also not by asking. We select testers ourselves.

Q: Can I be on the team?
A: If you're interested in joining get in contact with either teh lag, Ifafudafi or masterz1337 and be prepared to show off your past work in the field you want to help us in.

Q: Can I make suggestions for the team?
A: You can make them, but whether or not we actually do what you suggest another issue. We don't want to deviate too far from our planned course - we want to be able to finish this mod and that means knowing what we want to do ahead of time and focusing on that.

Q: Can I use some of your content in something I'm making?
A: The team's policy is that once we release something, it's fair game for anyone to use in whatever they want. So, if you want to use stuff from past CMT releases, if you can get it you can use it. However, we generally do not give out things that we're still working on - so if you want something that's been shown in progress shots but hasn't be released yet we probably won't want you to use it.

#2 User is offline   Jaz 

• Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationEarth, Near The Sun, Milky Way

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:59 PM

I have a question, not sure if it's ever gonna be frequently asked though:

Will you be adding normal maps throughout the entire campaign?

#3 User is offline   Masterz1337 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: CMT Person

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

Everything gets a normal in SPV3.

This post has been edited by Masterz1337: 28 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

#4 User is offline   Jaz 

• Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationEarth, Near The Sun, Milky Way

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:15 PM

View PostMasterz1337, on 28 July 2011 - 03:00 PM, said:

Everything gets a normal in SPV3.

Cool

#5 User is offline   Pepzee 

• PipPip

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

I also have a question:

Will CMT be making any multiplayer maps? Or is it all about SPv3? Because I remember when you guys were doing SPv2 you had a few MP maps planned.

#6 User is offline   Masterz1337 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:28 PM

MP isn't really our thing, but I wouldn't say it's an absolute no to MP maps.

#7 User is offline   MythicUltra 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:56 PM

I have some questions.

#1: I replayed a bit of the SPv2 Beta (keeping in mind that it's Beta). Was the BRG designed to be more powerful than the Covenant Carbine? It seemed to me that the BRG could hold more ammo, did more damage per burst, and was just more versatile than its Covenant counterpart. So is each of the weapons in SPv3 going to be constructed with certain intentions [and not be too weak or strong]?
- The distinction between each of the weapons (Human, Covenant, Forerunner, etc.) should be widened. For example, 4 Covenant Carbine rounds in an unshielded target might have some kind of extra effect, influencing that target and its immediate vicinity.

#2: Is it safe to assume that [nearly] all game play visuals in SPv3 will be revamped?
For one thing, the SPv2 Brute Shot explosion, Fuel Rod, and sentinel beams, could be touched up.

#3: Will the team consider adding other weapons besides the 3 unmentioned weapons (unless something suggested already falls into the latter category)?
Example: It would be pretty cool to have Halo Gauss Rifles (ImBrokeRU’s rifle looks nice so far here and here) that are distinguished from the regular UNSC sniper rifles in the campaign in many weapon attributes. An ephemeral blue muzzle flash, thin and light bluish-white contrail, and a quarter of second later, a body 857.5 meters away, already mangled by the depleted uranium/titanium-silicon carbide hypersonic round, is dichotomized by the aftereffects; the round continues along its trajectory--entering and exiting out of another target behind the first finally causing a splash of sparks, electricity, and distortion upon impacting the posterior metal wall.

#4: Will there be a CMT SPv3 UI? (The CMT SPv1 UI was part of the notable SPv1 experience. “It felt right”).
- If there is, will it include CMT extras?

#5: Even though the announcement stated that the classic vehicles might get weapon overhauls, will there be any new vehicles?

#6: Will the player be able to use melee-based weapons such as the energy sword (or the gravity hammer if there is a decision for implementation)?

#7: Are we looking at the entire spectrum of Halo music to be used in the mod?

#8: Will the devmode be left alone?
- It made SPv1 and the SPv2 Beta an enjoyable experience in addition to the experience without the devmode.

I don’t want to inundate the team with too many questions at once — and I don’t believe I have any other questions at the moment.

Thanks for replying.

This post has been edited by MythicUltra: 28 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

#8 User is offline   Masterz1337 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

1. The BRG has always been our trademark weapon, and there were a lot of things that it opened up to us. The carbine on the other hand isn't a weapon that allowed us much customization. We've talked some about the material it shoots and what type of things we could do with radioactive rounds. I'm not all to thrilled with the way it plays and would like to open up more possibilities with it to make it more than just "a single shot br".

2. A lot of stuff is being revamped, most models are staying the same though.

3. The problem with weapons is out tagspace issues. The nice thing about support weapons is they take up very little space, so we can see exactly what we can do with them That gauss rifle idea sounds cool, but your better off suggesting it to him. Iffy will probably end up wanting to incorporate some of those ideas into our gauss hog though.

4. No plans yet, but we have a few ideas floating around for what we could do with a UI. Extra's is staying in but may have some new options.

5. There is one designed by a CMT member... that was not in our maps... but was in a map thats fairly well known.. that may have been intended for us. Can't really say anything else.

6. I've never been a fan of the melee only weapons, and they can't be as good as in the other games in h1. We're looking into exploring some new options with melee though.

7. Yes

8. Yes

This post has been edited by Masterz1337: 28 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

#9 User is offline   MythicUltra 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:51 AM

#1. For the Cove. Carbine:

a) The rounds from the weapon used to throw off a lot of sparks and debris when they hit a surface in SPv2 -- maybe the rounds could do some "leeching" damage like a flamethrower-type damage (in addition to impact damage), spewing its radioactive/chemical payload in a prolonged reaction that damages things in a small area of effect.

or

b ) Some people may say it's somewhat unoriginal but a certain number of rounds in a target could cause a sort of super-combine explosion, just like the Needle Rifle except some minor variations.

#2. How much tag space did the team have in the "SPv2-days"? Is it constricted to a greater extent with SPv3 compared to that of SPv2?

(I'm one to ask a lot of questions. Sorry for inconveniences.)

E: darn that "b" and ")". Don't want a sun glass emoticon. >:|

This post has been edited by MythicUltra: 29 July 2011 - 03:53 AM

#10 User is offline   Ifafudafi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:34 AM

View PostMythicUltra, on 29 July 2011 - 03:51 AM, said:

#1. For the Cove. Carbine:

a) The rounds from the weapon used to throw off a lot of sparks and debris when they hit a surface in SPv2 -- maybe the rounds could do some "leeching" damage like a flamethrower-type damage (in addition to impact damage), spewing its radioactive/chemical payload in a prolonged reaction that damages things in a small area of effect.

The new effect set I've made for the Carbine does not reflect this sort of behavior (as you might have seen from my announcement vid), but that can be changed; more notably, while the idea is sound, it's a slippery slope - the weapon's primary draw is the fact that, while it's less effective from a sheer DPS standpoint than the BRG, it can be controlled much more precisely, meaning that proper use can make the gun more quick and efficient than the BRG (scalpel vs. cleaver, basically.) Any added functionality would need to serve to enhance that role; behavior rewarding "improper" usage (i.e. not hitting the head) would run contrary to the weapon's gameplay niche.

or

b ) Some people may say it's somewhat unoriginal but a certain number of rounds in a target could cause a sort of super-combine explosion, just like the Needle Rifle except some minor variations.

See above.

#11 User is offline   MythicUltra 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:50 AM

I don't know whether to post here or in your effects/WIP thread, but I don't think this suits the effects/WIP thread.

That gauss rifle idea sounds cool, but your better off suggesting it to him. -Masterz
And I would assume you're the only "Iffy" on CMT.

Do you think you could give aid the nascent of the first Halo CE Gauss Rifle by creating visuals for it (provided the adequate time and tag space)?

Example: It would be pretty cool to have Halo Gauss Rifles (ImBrokeRU’s rifle looks nice so far here and here) that are distinguished from the regular UNSC sniper rifles in the campaign in many weapon attributes. An ephemeral blue muzzle flash, thin and light bluish-white contrail, and a quarter of second later, a body 857.5 meters away, already mangled by the depleted uranium/titanium-silicon carbide hypersonic round, is dichotomized by the aftereffects; the round continues along its trajectory--entering and exiting out of another target behind the first finally causing a splash of sparks, electricity, and distortion upon impacting the posterior metal wall.

I was thinking between a cross of the Crysis/Crysis 2 Gauss Rifles in terms of visual effects (contrail, bullet, sparks, etc.) and the Halo 3/Reach Gauss Hog effects; then to start distinguishing this weapon from the sniper rifle, the Gauss might have slower ROF, less rounds/magazine, less rounds overall vs. the Sniper. However, everything is up to you, the team, and the community majority. Thanks for listening.

E: Then let's say the carbine isn't changed in that aspect. Is there a proportion between the damage done by a BRG burst and a Cov Carbine round? I just hope that I can rely on a Cov. Carbine until the end of a level on the higher difficulties when my BRG runs out of ammo.

This post has been edited by MythicUltra: 29 July 2011 - 05:54 AM

#12 User is offline   Ifafudafi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:05 AM

View PostMythicUltra, on 29 July 2011 - 04:50 AM, said:

And I would assume you're the only "Iffy" on CMT.

Yep.

I was thinking between a cross of the Crysis/Crysis 2 Gauss Rifles in terms of visual effects (contrail, bullet, sparks, etc.) and the Halo 3/Reach Gauss Hog effects; then to start distinguishing this weapon from the sniper rifle, the Gauss might have slower ROF, less rounds/magazine, less rounds overall vs. the Sniper. However, everything is up to you, the team, and the community majority. Thanks for listening.

The Sniper Rifle already holds the place of "super-powerful super-accurate everything-destroyer" for human nonexplosives; a Gauss rifle would infringe on that territory, adding very little variation for a lot of development cost. I will, of course, touch up the Gauss hog when the time comes - the overwrought look-mom-I-can-use-a-thesaurus description you provided (please tell me you didn't write that) is pretty much detailing the effect as it exists in H3/R, which I'm not certain if I want to stick to yet. (I can't do distortion in H1 anyway, unless Korn/FS/Kirby have programmed something into OS that I don't know about)

E: Then let's say the carbine isn't changed in that aspect. Is there a proportion between the damage done by a BRG burst and a Cov Carbine round? I just hope that I can rely on a Cov. Carbine until the end of a level on the higher difficulties when my BRG runs out of ammo.

I haven't looked to closely into it as technically Masterz is supposed to be handling the gameplay side, but as far as I can gather, what I detailed above should be the proper dichotomy between the two guns: if you can pop heads quickly and consistently, the Carbine should serve you just as well if not better than the BRG.

#13 User is offline   Masterz1337 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:53 AM

As far as tagspace goes, we have less than we ever did before, but we may have made a new discovery that could give us a substantial amount more in all maps, and one thing in a50 that could free up a lot of space too.

#14 User is offline   MythicUltra 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:02 AM

Either way -- this is just my method of just plainly saying "I am excited and can't wait for further updates."

Also, we won't be looking at major environment changes from SPv2 right?

(Noted the jungle-theme of B40/C40 + snow for A50).

E: Have to learn all those SAT vocabulary words. One way to learn is to use them. =P

This post has been edited by MythicUltra: 29 July 2011 - 07:08 AM

#15 User is offline   Faceman2000 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

I personally feel that the Carbine becomes over looked and under used specifically because of the cleaver vs. scalpel gameplay. Why use a more difficult weapon (even if it is more effective) than use a slightly less effective weapon that is simpler to use? You could argue ammo conservation, but there are so many battle rifles on the average map that ammo is rarely a problem. The grenade attachment also makes the battle rifle a better choice.

I would probably prefer to see a needle rifle or similar weapon (ASCM's Impaler perhaps?)

#16 User is offline   Ifafudafi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

View PostFaceman2000, on 01 August 2011 - 03:57 PM, said:

I personally feel that the Carbine becomes over looked and under used specifically because of the cleaver vs. scalpel gameplay. Why use a more difficult weapon (even if it is more effective) than use a slightly less effective weapon that is simpler to use? You could argue ammo conservation, but there are so many battle rifles on the average map that ammo is rarely a problem. The grenade attachment also makes the battle rifle a better choice.

I would probably prefer to see a needle rifle or similar weapon (ASCM's Impaler perhaps?)

It's a playstyle thing; I, for example, prefer the Carbine. I like being able to precisely aim each individual shot and pop quickly between targets; others, such as yourself, may prefer the BRG's harder but clumsier punch and pick it instead. That's fine; it's simply a means to let players use guns that better fit their preferred method of head-popping.

Also note that long-range combat pretty much didn't exist in HCE; the Sniper Rifle could land with you for a couple of missions but the Covenant had no real way to counter it. By introducing weapons at that range, we need to make sure that the Covenant has an answer, and the Carbine fits that role perfectly, matching the BRG in range while behaving differently enough to make it a suitable alternative for certain-minded players.

A problem has been that the BRG (what with three shots and a GL) has likely been a little OP; it's effectiveness will probably be scaled down a bit to match other guns, and we're looking into giving the Carbine a secondary function to hold its own weight against the BR's GL. IIRC, there's also an effort being made to spread out human ammo a bit more conservatively, but that's a hard thing to balance properly without considerable playtesting.

Oh, and because of all the cloning that happened in SPv2, we're trying to make an effort to avoid straight-up copies of H3/R weapons, hence why you won't likely see a Needle Rifle analogue any time soon.

#17 User is offline   Faceman2000 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

I remember reading that the flood campaign had found a way for infections forms to infect dead bodies, similiar to Halo 3. Have you looked into this?

#18 User is offline   Hotrod 

• PipPip
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:28 PM

One thing that really confused me in SPv2 were the Hunter's guns since they all looked the same (and they all looked sort of ugly). So on that note, I have three questions for you guys.

1. Will the Hunter weapons get a remodel?
2. Will the different versions have different models this time around?
3. And while I'm at it, will Hunters themselves get a visual upgrade as well?

#19 User is offline   Gary 

• ¬ 1337
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne, FL

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

View PostFaceman2000, on 03 August 2011 - 03:10 PM, said:

I remember reading that the flood campaign had found a way for infections forms to infect dead bodies, similiar to Halo 3. Have you looked into this?

Honestly, this looked very easy to do in Halo3, there was no real "infecting" or "transforming". By the looks of it, the AI was scripted so that when enough food infection spores latched onto a body, the NPC would:

1.Stop real AI
2.Play an animation
3.Spawn a model that's animation made it look like it was expanding(looks like a flood infection going through the body). Might also spawn some effects.
4.Delete the Marine NPC and spawn a flood NPC in a new starting animation that starts in the same position the marine's animation would of been in.

That's an assumption though, no idea if that is how it was done.

#20 User is offline   teh lag 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

View PostFaceman2000, on 03 August 2011 - 03:10 PM, said:

We haven't as of yet - if I remember correctly this required quite a bit of scripting for each involved unit, and given how many actors can be in a level like The Library or Two Betrayals I don't know if it would be practical. We really haven't given the Flood much thought at this point, we're not working on any levels with them yet.

View PostHotrod, on 03 August 2011 - 04:28 PM, said:

One thing that really confused me in SPv2 were the Hunter's guns since they all looked the same (and they all looked sort of ugly). So on that note, I have three questions for you guys.

1. Will the Hunter weapons get a remodel?
2. Will the different versions have different models this time around?
3. And while I'm at it, will Hunters themselves get a visual upgrade as well?

1. Possibly but unlikely; however the plan is for those weapons to be held in third-person so the ugliness will be hidden by our lies. At the very least however I do expect there to be some distinguishing features added to each gun variant.
2. Well, I pretty much answered that one too there.
3. To an extent; again it's unlikely we'll make a whole new model but we're definitely giving them some tweaks here and there, and like everything else they should have some normal map goodness if you're using Open Sauce.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic