Halomods Community Portal: ODX and The Weapons [56k WARNING] - Halomods Community Portal

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ODX and The Weapons [56k WARNING]

FP Animation Updates

#1 User is offline   ODX 

• PipPip
  • Group: CMT Person

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

So yes it is true: my skills have been picked up by CMT and I'm already pretty far in since I'd been working with the weapons beforehand. Nothing you may see here is final, as I'm sure there's other weapons in development I've yet to hear about but for now here's some basic animation updates with what I have so far.

View these with Firefox if you can, but if it becomes a hassle then I'll try to upload through videos. Some .gifs may seem sped up more than the animation should be, others may be slower but comment on whatever you like. I'll be periodically uploading my current animations and then giving updates every so often with new WIPs.

-Sniper-
Spoiler

-Carbine-
Spoiler

-Spiker-
Spoiler

-SMG-
Spoiler

This post has been edited by ODX: 28 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

#2 User is offline   Pepzee 

• PipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:38 PM

Well, the animations look absolutely fine to me, I can't find anything wrong with them, they look like they are ready to go in-game right now. Except you missing the empty reload where you pull the bolt back. Other than that, I can't spot anything wrong, good job.

#3 User is offline   ODX 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

As much as I'd probably like to include an -empty reload, I'd rather not. It's not that I'm lazy and don't want to put in the effort, but it really serves no purpose other than aesthetics. Here, I'll explain what I mean:

That sniper-full animation there is 67 frames. Let's say I have an -empty, and it's 80 frames. I compile them both into Halo and play the game.

Now, when I shoot off just one shot and reload it will do the reload-full animation yes? The problem now though is that even though it's only 67 frames... I can't shoot until 80 frames have passed (from the reload-empty).

In essence, both reloads will take the same amount of time as the -empty (or maybe just the longer one, I have to check up on that sometime) which therefore makes it useless and a nuisance to have an -empty reload unless I screw it up so much to make it 67 frames. Theoretically I could if I'm told I have to, but right now I'd rather focus on finishing the animation sets themselves.

This post has been edited by ODX: 27 July 2011 - 04:55 PM

#4 User is offline   JackalStomper 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

FP Animation updates by me can be found here:
http://www.halomods....ns-56k-warning/

They look good, but even at a casual glance some glaring issues come up.

For one the bi-pod is reacting way too much from the given movement in nearly all the animations. Not only does this look tacky but it's noisy, it can mislead or distract a player during game play. You should dampen it a little.

Another thing I'm noticing is that there's almost no weight compensation or any sort of antics for the movement.

Posted Image

Go find a large broom, a heavy stick, or anything of similar weight and size and try to hold it at the very end. While keeping it at that angle. It's not fun, and it's not how you would naturally hold it if given a choice is it?

Lets look at how Bungie did it

Much more natural, and your wrist won't fracture while reloading to boot!

Not much else to say, other than the melee having some awkward upwards movement in frames 18 to 23.
Ohh and the grenade throw. The arm just stops, it can still do that but smooth it out a little, as it is now it looks downright unnatural.

This post has been edited by JackalStomper: 27 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

#5 User is offline   Pepzee 

• PipPip
  • View blog

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

Alright, I get it now. I take it there won't be any idle animation either?

Most of the carbine animations are good. The melee seems a little awkward to me though, like when you melee it seems like the top of the gun comes up a little to high and might smack you on the side of your face. All of the others are fine in my eyes though. Keep it up!

#6 User is offline   ODX 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:37 PM

There's idles I just didn't bother to post them.

#7 User is offline   D4rfnader 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:55 PM

Look's good, loving the sniper reload!

#8 User is offline   Jaz 

• Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationEarth, Near The Sun, Milky Way

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:13 AM

The spiker shouldn't really be reloadable at all. It fires massive spikes that shouldn't even fit in those cartridges you showed. o.O

Other than that, awesome animations.

#9 User is offline   ODX 

• PipPip

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:59 PM

Hey, I didn't make the model nor the design. I just move it around to look cool.

#10 User is offline   Pepzee 

• PipPip
  • View blog

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:09 PM

I say refine the spiker reload a little more, it doesn't seem to show enough, it's like the clip magically falls out and you quickly push it back in. And what I mean by show more is angle the gun when he reloads. that's one of the things I like about reload animations is that you get to see the side of the gun from a different perspective.

The SMG melee also seems to be a little to fast, like this one is double speed or something. Nothing big though could just be me. Other than that all animations are perfect.

This post has been edited by Pepzee: 28 July 2011 - 04:10 PM

#11 User is offline   ODX 

• PipPip

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

Apparently I exceeded the limit of images in the first post so from now on I'll just make a new post with any updates. Here are the AR animations. Mainly I'm thinking of scratching the melee and reload and going new, opinions?

-Assault Rifle-
Spoiler

#12 User is offline   Hotrod 

• PipPip
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

View PostJaz, on 28 July 2011 - 08:13 AM, said:

The spiker shouldn't really be reloadable at all. It fires massive spikes that shouldn't even fit in those cartridges you showed. o.O

Supposedly the cartridge is full of metal balls or something that get extended when passing through the barrel of the gun.

Animations look great though!

#13 User is offline   Ifafudafi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:03 PM

On those Spiker anims: I miss old stab animation from ages ago; I always thought it made more sense, looked cooler, and didn't straight up copy H3. Any chance we'll get that back?

#14 User is offline   ODX 

• PipPip

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:38 PM

Actually back when I was reanimating some of the Sigma weapons, I did a stab melee for the spiker:
Posted Image
Been thinking about bringing it back so now I think I will just for you ;P

#15 User is offline   Echo77 

• PipPip
  • LocationInstallation 04

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:57 AM

View PostODX, on 28 July 2011 - 06:38 PM, said:

Actually back when I was reanimating some of the Sigma weapons, I did a stab melee for the spiker:
http://i1015.photobu...if?t=1311878280
Been thinking about bringing it back so now I think I will just for you ;P

Stab and twist, not twist and stab. :o

#16 User is offline   Delysid 

• PipPip

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:56 PM

I would keep it twist and stab. It would look very odd animation-wise to have it stab and twist, imo (at least the way I think you're wanting it to look). Also I'd like to request that you make the AR melee more like it was in Halo: Combat Evolved. In the other Halo games I always felt like the animations were kind of just slopped together/rushed. Meleeing like you have it and like it is done in H2/H3 doesn't even make sense honestly. I think it's worth it to put in that little extra time to have a very good looking product.

#17 User is offline   MythicUltra 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

View PostDelysid, on 31 July 2011 - 08:56 PM, said:

I would keep it twist and stab. It would look very odd animation-wise to have it stab and twist, imo (at least the way I think you're wanting it to look). Also I'd like to request that you make the AR melee more like it was in Halo: Combat Evolved. In the other Halo games I always felt like the animations were kind of just slopped together/rushed. Meleeing like you have it and like it is done in H2/H3 doesn't even make sense honestly. I think it's worth it to put in that little extra time to have a very good looking product.

There wasn't a spike rifle in Halo 2.

The animations are looking fine as they are now. I like the new spiker melee; keep it as twist--stab.

#18 User is offline   ODX 

• PipPip

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:35 AM

I don't even understand what you guys are saying about this "twist and stab" business, so I'm just going to keep to the style I have for the spiker melee I did when I was randomly reanimating Sigma's weapon set.

View PostDelysid, on 31 July 2011 - 08:56 PM, said:

Also I'd like to request that you make the AR melee more like it was in Halo: Combat Evolved. In the other Halo games I always felt like the animations were kind of just slopped together/rushed. Meleeing like you have it and like it is done in H2/H3 doesn't even make sense honestly. I think it's worth it to put in that little extra time to have a very good looking product.

The AR melee has been changed but it's just the diagonal one now. Personally I think Halo 3's animations are the proper Halo animations (and game), so that's what I base myself off of. Halo 1 is too constrained to realism for my exact tastes. That isn't to say the animations are bad or anything (they aren't), but Halo 3 is where a lot of my inspiration comes from so that's how my animations are likely to be.

Besides, I already have the Carbine and Sniper doing a melee that way and I'd rather keep a variety.

#19 User is offline   ODX 

• PipPip

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:35 PM

Made a new SMG Throw-Grenade animation:
Posted Image

It's a mix between my throwing animation and Lag's style of having the gun go off screen (but all done by me still). Tell me if you think I should:
1) ...make them all like this
2) ...make a few of them like this (smaller weapons)
3) ...go back to the style I was originally doing

This post has been edited by ODX: 05 August 2011 - 02:33 AM

#20 User is offline   SeanTheLawn 

• Pip

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:33 PM

That looks great, but don't make them ALL like that. I like variety. So choice number 2.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users