Halomods Community Portal: Emulation of the console Halo Games - Halomods Community Portal

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tech
Emulation of the console Halo Games

Different style of J-Tag modding?

#1 User is offline   blitzburnz4 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:28 AM

If you were to get an emulator running to play Halo 3 on your PC, wouldn't it also be much easier to do .Map mods without the hassle of a J-Tag? What are the possibilities of this working? I'm a simple console usermap modder so this is probably a stupid idea, but I can't seem to figure out any explanations of why this wouldn't work besides different views of the stability of an emulator.

#2 User is offline   Jaz 

• Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationEarth, Near The Sun, Milky Way

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

View Postblitzburnz4, on 01 August 2011 - 05:28 AM, said:

If you were to get an emulator running to play Halo 3 on your PC, wouldn't it also be much easier to do .Map mods without the hassle of a J-Tag? What are the possibilities of this working? I'm a simple console usermap modder so this is probably a stupid idea, but I can't seem to figure out any explanations of why this wouldn't work besides different views of the stability of an emulator.

I'm guessing it's not been done because of the infrastructure of the xbox. The Dolphin Emulator for the wii lags a lot because the wii's got it's own software and coding, which is very hard to emulate. Not sure if the same case is true for xbox though.

#3 User is offline   Shock120 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

There is Project Xenia currently on development/hold.
Having everything on the PC would be more convenient.

This post has been edited by Shock120: 01 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

#4 User is offline   blitzburnz4 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:48 AM

View PostShock120, on 01 August 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

There is Project Xenia currently on development/hold.
Having everything on the PC would be more convenient.

So..it would be better for J-Tag modding?

#5 User is offline   Gary 

• ¬ 1337
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne, FL

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:42 AM

Don't go quoting me on this, but:

I would assume, if you were able to create a program that can emulate the X360 hardware, you would need a very good computer to run it(While the X360 is not that powerful, emulating slows the whole emulated system). It would make Halo1/2/3/Reach modding far easier and more efficient, no more having to deal with the xbox hardware.

Sorry, but I don't completely understand the process of "J-Tag"ing a console. But I assume that it just allows unsigned code to run on the xbox(Please correct me if I'm wrong). So, if you were to emulate a X360 you might have to do the software part of "J-Tag" to allow the program to do unsigned code, unless the emulator does it natively.

#6 User is offline   bumlove 

• Learning to program, women and children first
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationT' West Ridding of Yorkshire

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

Very few pc's are "hard" enough think about it xb1 750Mhz processor 64MB of shared memory, to run the same game on a pc (with the o/s) requires at least 2-3 times the processor and many many times more ram, I don't know x360's stats but I'm guessing you'd need 6GHz of processing and at least 3GB of ram
This is probably why there is not a H3PC

#7 User is offline   Cobby 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:16 PM

View Postbumlove, on 02 August 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

Very few pc's are "hard" enough think about it xb1 750Mhz processor 64MB of shared memory, to run the same game on a pc (with the o/s) requires at least 2-3 times the processor and many many times more ram, I don't know x360's stats but I'm guessing you'd need 6GHz of processing and at least 3GB of ram
This is probably why there is not a H3PC

As I recall, The halo engine as of Halo 2 upwards was based upon C++, given that in mind I would assume it would be possible to port it to the PC without having to emulate the xbox 360.
This in mind though, a processors clock speed isn't the most important factor, especially when you could have a lower clocked processor capable of processing more instructions per cycle.
The xbox 360 may use a 3.2ghz tri-core CPU, but considering processors have advanced much in the time of the xbox's launch, I would imagine those extra instructions processed per clock cycle would at least help bind the gap together.

This post has been edited by Cobby: 02 August 2011 - 02:20 PM

#8 User is online   XZodia 

• Code Monkey
  • LocationScotland

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

View PostCobby, on 02 August 2011 - 02:16 PM, said:

As I recall, The halo engine as of Halo 2 upwards was based upon C++, given that in mind I would assume it would be possible to port it to the PC without having to emulate the xbox 360.
This in mind though, a processors clock speed isn't the most important factor, especially when you could have a lower clocked processor capable of processing more instructions per cycle.
The xbox 360 may use a 3.2ghz tri-core CPU, but considering processors have advanced much in the time of the xbox's launch, I would imagine those extra instructions processed per clock cycle would at least help bind the gap together.

Just because something is written in c++, doesn't mean its portable.

#9 User is offline   Cobby 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:56 PM

View PostXZodia, on 02 August 2011 - 02:52 PM, said:

Just because something is written in c++, doesn't mean its portable.

Never said it did, only said it would be easier than say for instance a language purely designed for nothing but consoles in mind.
Besides, from what I understand, every Halo engine besides Halowars has been a iteration of the previous engine but with new upgrades and addons, one would assume that there would be a underlying similarity between the various iterations.

This post has been edited by Cobby: 02 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

#10 User is offline   Gary 

• ¬ 1337
  • LocationMelbourne, FL

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:47 PM

@bum, that's called a piss pour port. When a game is built for specific hardware(any console game), it requires a bit of work to make it run well on a completely different platform.

It's not like those(console) games are taxing on modern hardware(if ported properly and are at the same settings(low AA, low res, etc.) as their console build.

Only reason the computer would need more power is because of all the overhead and other process running on a desktop OS.

#11 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0
  • Group: Administrators

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:47 PM

Arguing the high-level language is pointless in all cases. Even if some kind of magical language existed that a console manufacturer made just for their platform, the only thing that would really matter is the compiler/linker, as that is what produces the native code.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users