Tiger/Destiny

Bungie's codename for their Next Big Thing

#1 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Users Awards

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:35 AM

So Bungie's 20th anniversary vidoc was posted today. I took the time to step thru it, looking for hints on their next game/engine (in which they refereed to it as Tiger, more than likely the code name). I posted some notes on HBO, but since we need a thread for it here, I'll copypasta the info here too.

The following is a screen cap of an engineer (I presume Butcher) in Visual Studio 2010, looking at some source. How did I figure that the engineer is browsing the Tiger codebase? It has "tiger_main_loop_core" in the search box, the editor is VS2010, the source files are for C++ (Halo1's engine was C only). The active solution configuration is "test" and the active solution configuration is "engine_win32" (which may suggest Tiger will release for PC, or that is just a config for their tools). The Halo1 AI dev log which the engineer is looking at is a .txt file, not a source file.

The following is the new world editor for Tiger, Grognok (Sapien went buh-bye)

I wonder how designers/artists are enjoying having to use 3dsmax/Maya less (I'm sure it is still used for object and structure creation)...

#2 User is offline   Rentafence 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:07 AM

Ah, interesting. I didn't think much of that picture of Grognok, I just thought it was some 3d modelling package I've never seen. There were a couple parts in the video where they showed guys messing around in Max, might be interesting to see if any of those aren't Halo related.

#3 User is offline   XZodia 

• Code Monkey
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationScotland

Users Awards

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:59 AM

That editor looks awesome. If it is for PC I hope it gets released to the public =)

#4 User is offline   gruntlord6 

• PipPip

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

View PostXZodia, on 05 August 2011 - 10:59 AM, said:

That editor looks awesome. If it is for PC I hope it gets released to the public =)

They already announced it is being released on ps3 xbox 360 and pc.

#5 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0
  • View blog

Users Awards

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:22 PM

I'm pretty sure Bungie themselves haven't announced their platforms yet (Activision is only their publisher, not their boss). They've been trying to ramp up on PS3 devs (still have like 11 jobs open for them), so that's a pretty clear indication of a PS3 version. Their engine has a win32 build config, but that could easily be for their tools, not the actual game itself.

#6 User is offline   neodos 

• PipPip

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

Cool! I sure hope its a game engine for public use and pc, that'd be awesome! modders become indie developpers =P

#7 User is offline   Twis7eD 

• PipPip
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:30 PM

Nice find Kornman. Can't wait until we hear more about this project.

#8 User is offline   blitzburnz4 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:02 AM

How did you do that.....

#9 User is offline   Gamecheat 

• PipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:53 AM

So this means they've got a whole new game engine?
or will it be similar to blam

#10 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0
  • View blog

Users Awards

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:21 AM

Just as their Blam engine had roots to Marathon, their new engine will have roots to the Blam engine. They don't scrape code, so yeah, it will be similar to Blam but there will be changes. Especially since it's not just another Halo game, but something much, much more.

#11 User is offline   gruntlord6 

• PipPip

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:45 PM

View Postkornman00, on 05 August 2011 - 08:22 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure Bungie themselves haven't announced their platforms yet (Activision is only their publisher, not their boss). They've been trying to ramp up on PS3 devs (still have like 11 jobs open for them), so that's a pretty clear indication of a PS3 version. Their engine has a win32 build config, but that could easily be for their tools, not the actual game itself.

They stated they were going to launch on all the major platforms, PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.

#12 User is offline   Gary 

• ¬ 1337
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne, FL

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

I hope they use more shadow mapping like they did in Halo2, but now(since H3) that they got more local systems that seems unlikely... My dynamic shadowing obsession aside...

I'm looking forward to seeing their new IP, hopefully it will be as ground breaking as Halo1. I'm also very happy it's going to be on the PC, I hate the outdated console graphics, oh and this should also help the modding community.

View Postkornman00, on 07 August 2011 - 11:21 AM, said:

Just as their Blam engine had roots to Marathon, their new engine will have roots to the Blam engine. They don't scrape code, so yeah, it will be similar to Blam but there will be changes. Especially since it's not just another Halo game, but something much, much more.

No doubt, they just talked about how many improvements they made to the Reach engine, no way they would start over. It likely branched off during Reach development.

View Postgruntlord6, on 09 August 2011 - 12:45 PM, said:

They stated they were going to launch on all the major platforms, PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.

I think I saw that somewhere, source?

#13 User is offline   gruntlord6 

• PipPip

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:43 AM

View PostGary, on 09 August 2011 - 03:32 PM, said:

I think I saw that somewhere, source?

No idea, I recall it was in a weekly update

#14 User is offline   MrBig 

• PipPip

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

No doubt, they just talked about how many improvements they made to the Reach engine, no way they would start over. It likely branched off during Reach development.

The first time they showed stuff from this was a siggraph demo in 2009, so they have been working on it for years now.

#15 User is offline   Grimdoomer 

• PipPip

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

All those files he is looking at are in read-only mode.

#16 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0
  • View blog

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:51 AM

Because they're handled by source control (I believe they use Perforce nowadays). Unless he has one of the files checked out for editing, they're going to come up as read-only.

#17 User is offline   Xerax 

• Double Faggot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

View Postkornman00, on 21 November 2011 - 04:51 AM, said:

Because they're handled by source control (I believe they use Perforce nowadays). Unless he has one of the files checked out for editing, they're going to come up as read-only.

They don't use TFS?

#18 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0
  • View blog

Users Awards

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

I've never explicitly asked about their source control but I know they prefer Perforce experience for new hires. After all, they're a multiplatform studio (both internally and externally). I don't think TFS has a client for MacOS (which some of their sound guys use and their iOS developers would have to use as well).

#19 User is offline   Xerax 

• Double Faggot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

View Postkornman00, on 23 November 2011 - 12:57 PM, said:

I've never explicitly asked about their source control but I know they prefer Perforce experience for new hires. After all, they're a multiplatform studio (both internally and externally). I don't think TFS has a client for MacOS (which some of their sound guys use and their iOS developers would have to use as well).

Oh yeah, good point. Yeah, TFS only has the embedded client in VS and the standalone client, Windows only.

#20 User is offline   xalener 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: CMT Person

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:17 PM

I hope they use more shadow mapping like they did in Halo2, but now(since H3) that they got more local systems that seems unlikely... My dynamic shadowing obsession aside...

http://www.bungie.ne...ngResearch.pptx

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users