Halomods Community Portal: Anybody want to make something cool in H1? - Halomods Community Portal

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

H1_CE
Anybody want to make something cool in H1?

#1 User is offline   Xerax 

• Double Faggot
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

I'm bored and havn't got anything todo at the moment. Does anybody want to work on a small little project on H1CE? I've never really don't much in H1 apart from simple swapps. Only stuff on H2<.

My AIM is: caiimeaiexx. If anybody wants to help, pm me (i'll be appearing offline).

#2 User is offline   Pepzee 

• PipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:44 PM

This sounds interesting. I cannot help at the moment because I'm very busy with other projects. But you should be more specific on what you want to make. Singleplayer? Multiplayer? Tagsets? BSPs?

I'm interested to what your thinking of. That way other people can see if they want to help.

#3 User is offline   Xerax 

• Double Faggot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:07 PM

I'm just in the process of converting c10's BSP interiorb into MP. Thinking of some sort of wave flood mini-game. Who knows, should be a fun learning experience :P.

#4 User is offline   Pepzee 

• PipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:16 PM

Food-mini game sounds good. But if you are going to use AI then I suggest using singleplayer instead of multiplayer. Just because you can do more with the AI and have more tagspace.

Regardless of that though. Most anything to do with AI involves scripting. Do you know how to script?

#5 User is offline   Xerax 

• Double Faggot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:37 AM

View PostPepzee, on 07 August 2011 - 11:16 PM, said:

Food-mini game sounds good. But if you are going to use AI then I suggest using singleplayer instead of multiplayer. Just because you can do more with the AI and have more tagspace.

Regardless of that though. Most anything to do with AI involves scripting. Do you know how to script?

Can I do 4 player SP?

And I've never scripted H1 before, i did a bit on H2.

#6 User is offline   Pepzee 

• PipPip

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

View PostXerax, on 08 August 2011 - 08:37 AM, said:

Can I do 4 player SP?

And I've never scripted H1 before, i did a bit on H2.

You mean where 4 people connect online and play with each other? Sadly that won't work because AI don't sync over a 56KBs internet system. Basically There isn't enough bandwidth for the game to utilize to send data for the AI. So on one computer the AI will be doing one thing and on another the AI will just be standing there. Here are some pictures someone made along time ago on this issue:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The only way you could have any sort of co-op is to port the map to the xbox. Kirby made a way around the AI syncing issue, but it's very gimmicky and doesn't even work that well. I don't think it's worth the effort to try though. If your curious to see the AI sync kirbys way download: here

As for scripting, H2 and H1 scripting should be near identical, so you shouldn't have any problems there.

Sorry for the long description. However I wish to get the point across that AI do not sync(A lot of people don't get this concept), therefore you cannot have any sort of 4 player SP map with AI.

This post has been edited by Pepzee: 08 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

#7 User is offline   Xerax 

• Double Faggot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:50 PM

View PostPepzee, on 08 August 2011 - 04:41 PM, said:

You mean where 4 people connect online and play with each other? Sadly that won't work because AI don't sync over a 56KBs internet system. Basically There isn't enough bandwidth for the game to utilize to send data for the AI. So on one computer the AI will be doing one thing and on another the AI will just be standing there. Here are some pictures someone made along time ago on this issue:
The only way you could have any sort of co-op is to port the map to the xbox. Kirby made a way around the AI syncing issue, but it's very gimmicky and doesn't even work that well. I don't think it's worth the effort to try though. If your curious to see the AI sync kirbys way download: here

As for scripting, H2 and H1 scripting should be near identical, so you shouldn't have any problems there.

Sorry for the long description. However I wish to get the point across that AI do not sync(A lot of people don't get this concept), therefore you cannot have any sort of 4 player SP map with AI.

Thank you for the description. However, i do remeber a mod called Area51, which had AI. How was that done?

#8 User is offline   Pepzee 

• PipPip

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:21 PM

View PostXerax, on 08 August 2011 - 07:50 PM, said:

Thank you for the description. However, i do remeber a mod called Area51, which had AI. How was that done?

Area 51 is basically a SP mod in MP format. For instance if I went in Sapien right now and changed it from MP to SP there would be no difference. Except the fact that there would be more tagspace and more commands to utilize.

But your asking how the mod itself was created so I'll try to answer that. Someone went in Sapein(A HEK tool) and added in AI starting positions. Thus allowing AI to spawn. But if I were to start a server and host that map, and other people join, the AI would not sync , thus making the mod useless for MP.

Like I said, anything to do with AI is best in Singleplayer. Anything to do with fighting other players and killing each other is best in Multiplayer.

Do you know how to use the console in HCE? It's how you start SP maps.

Also could you show me some script from Halo 2? I'm curious to see how it looks. I'll show you some script that I created yesterday for HCE if you interested.

Thanks.

This post has been edited by Pepzee: 08 August 2011 - 09:33 PM

#9 User is offline   Xerax 

• Double Faggot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

View PostPepzee, on 08 August 2011 - 09:21 PM, said:

Area 51 is basically a SP mod in MP format. For instance if I went in Sapien right now and changed it from MP to SP there would be no difference. Except the fact that there would be more tagspace and more commands to utilize.

But your asking how the mod itself was created so I'll try to answer that. Someone went in Sapein(A HEK tool) and added in AI starting positions. Thus allowing AI to spawn. But if I were to start a server and host that map, and other people join, the AI would not sync , thus making the mod useless for MP.

Like I said, anything to do with AI is best in Singleplayer. Anything to do with fighting other players and killing each other is best in Multiplayer.

Do you know how to use the console in HCE? It's how you start SP maps.

Also could you show me some script from Halo 2? I'm curious to see how it looks. I'll show you some script that I created yesterday for HCE if you interested.

Thanks.

Ah okay, i remeber playing it online. Must be my memory (I was about 11 back then o-o). I only used Sapien in H2V, so i didn't get to play around with AI. But i did some AI stuff in Halo3: ODST.

I do, and i've watched enough of CMT's videos to know from those alone :P.

For scripts, I don't really have any H2X stuff. But leor does, but this is just one i found quickly.
(script continuous rox_respawner 
(begin 
(sleep_until (= (ai_living_count ai_squad) 0)) 
(sleep 150) 
(ai_place ai_squad) 
) 
) 

#10 User is offline   Pepzee 

• PipPip

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

View PostXerax, on 10 August 2011 - 12:26 PM, said:

Ah okay, i remeber playing it online. Must be my memory (I was about 11 back then o-o). I only used Sapien in H2V, so i didn't get to play around with AI. But i did some AI stuff in Halo3: ODST.

I do, and i've watched enough of CMT's videos to know from those alone :P.

For scripts, I don't really have any H2X stuff. But leor does, but this is just one i found quickly.
(script continuous rox_respawner 
(begin 
(sleep_until (= (ai_living_count ai_squad) 0)) 
(sleep 150) 
(ai_place ai_squad) 
) 
) 

Good, the script for H2X is the exact same as the script for HCE. I wasn't sure about that. However you could plug that script into HCE right now and it would work.

Also it's good that you know how to use the console. A lot of people have no clue how to use it and end up trying to start a SP map in MP, and then wonder why the game exceptions.

So do you know how to set up the scenario? Have you already gotten the BSPs in sapien? Do you need help with anything?

#11 User is offline   Xerax 

• Double Faggot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:00 PM

View PostPepzee, on 10 August 2011 - 05:16 PM, said:

Good, the script for H2X is the exact same as the script for HCE. I wasn't sure about that. However you could plug that script into HCE right now and it would work.

Also it's good that you know how to use the console. A lot of people have no clue how to use it and end up trying to start a SP map in MP, and then wonder why the game exceptions.

So do you know how to set up the scenario? Have you already gotten the BSPs in sapien? Do you need help with anything?

I'm thinking about making my own custom map. Since i can't find any of the SP BSP's that are right for the type of gamestyle i want. I know how to use 3ds max, but never made a map for HCE, only H2V. So i'll look at tutorials for the HEK.

#12 User is offline   Pepzee 

• PipPip

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:18 AM

View PostXerax, on 10 August 2011 - 06:00 PM, said:

I'm thinking about making my own custom map. Since i can't find any of the SP BSP's that are right for the type of gamestyle i want. I know how to use 3ds max, but never made a map for HCE, only H2V. So i'll look at tutorials for the HEK.

I really don't have any experience in modeling for HCE, however I would assume that the two would be near identical with different exporters.

You can use any BSP out there and convert it to SP, as long as it isn't protected of course. Just look: here There are a ton of maps with good BSPs. It may take a little digging though.

#13 User is offline   Hr3shy 

• PipPip

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:29 AM

if you need any bsp help i can help ya out a bit, im best at doing cliffs and ground but i can do a little hard surface if need be.

#14 User is offline   Xerax 

• Double Faggot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

View PostPepzee, on 11 August 2011 - 12:18 AM, said:

I really don't have any experience in modeling for HCE, however I would assume that the two would be near identical with different exporters.

You can use any BSP out there and convert it to SP, as long as it isn't protected of course. Just look: here There are a ton of maps with good BSPs. It may take a little digging though.

Even if I don't use a complete BSP from there, I can still use some of the model assets. Thanks!

View PostHr3shy, on 11 August 2011 - 03:29 AM, said:

if you need any bsp help i can help ya out a bit, im best at doing cliffs and ground but i can do a little hard surface if need be.

I was thinking a little of a sort of Breakpoint feel (http://cdn.gamerant....-Breakpoint.jpg). Basicaly an indoors built into a glacier (forunner style). And the flood attacking and comming through vents in the walls (like the library). But i'll re-install 3ds and see what I can come up with :P

#15 User is offline   OwnZjoO 

• PipPip

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:02 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure I had seen a mod where LAN coop worked(by worked I mean didn't freeze instantly). I might still have the patch(es?) somewhere if you want them.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users