Halomods Community Portal: This site. This community. - Halomods Community Portal

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

This site. This community.

#1 User is offline   Tural 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:00 AM

Does anyone ever stop and think, "Man, this shit was 6-7 years ago"?

When I joined this site, back in roughly mid-2005, I was 14 years old. I was a bit into high school. I was a kid. I came here, I started posting about who-knows-what. Halo 2 modding. I probably wanted to cheat when I started. I cheated a few times on xlink. It was fun. I changed though. I became interested in the mechanics of it, as most people were. The main members of this community, the modders who built it, the tools they made and the things they did with them, that was exciting. It was great seeing what people came up with, and the extents to which they could do things. There's people like Detox, xbox7887, kornman (whose age I do not know, but xbox7887 says around his age [he's 24 now]) who were these young guys, kids in some cases, doing some pretty remarkable stuff with this game.

There's people I met on this site, Ketchup_Bomb, GTAF, Veegie, shadowkhas, and a lot of others, whom I talked to for years. Many of whom I still do. I talk to Veegie, Ragdoll, shadowkhas, GTAF, Zone 117, DrXThirst, xbox7887, KKC, and Detox on a regular basis still. I've known some of these people longer than my friends in real life. I consider these people, some of them, my friends. These people here know me. A lot on this site don't really. They know how I was here, how I acted (poorly), but they don't know how I really am. I acted like a complete asshole for several years of this site's existence. Some of the peak years. I did a lot of stupid things, and I made a lot of people angry. I can't pinpoint why, but it's at least partially related to having the authority over people that I did. I can apologize for the past, but there's no real point. Most of those people are gone now, and the rest probably don't care or remember. I know I can't really recall anything anyone did that bothered me, it was too long ago. The past is the past, and we've moved on.

Stupid as it may be, this site, more than high school, more than the people I knew back then, more than the friends I used to have, affected who I became as I got older. A lot of my personality, I could say developed as a result of the people on this site and the communication it provided. There was nothing really like it. This place was big, and everyone here was more-or-less good. You had this community of amazing individuals to talk to. You had this set of goals to work towards. You had a common bond with these people. There's not going to be anything really like it again. Not that I foresee, at least. It was the perfect series for this community and for these people to find. It was a fantastic set of games that garnered a lot of interest, and led to many people discovering the site. We're never going to have a console like we had, or games like we had. That period was brief, and we capitalized on it. We built this community. It was truly remarkable, looking back. It had its run, and it slowly dwindled and has nearly died out. But for what it's worth, the time it spent in the spotlight was unrivaled, and I regard it as being something that was a major part of my life when I was growing up and something I admire and am glad to have been a part of.

#2 User is offline   shadowkhas 

• Definitely Gay
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationSL, UT

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:11 AM

I hate you too hth

But yes, I agree. Despite stupid drama that happened, it was still fun learning and talking with people that shared my interests to the same (and even greater) depth.

This post has been edited by shadowkhas: 07 September 2011 - 03:13 AM

#3 User is offline   Prototape 

• Wot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:14 AM

I wish you were still a dick.

#4 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Users Awards

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:19 AM

Well damn, that was deep.

Yeah, there's really no way we can ever build up to a community like that of the HMC days (in some ways that's good, but for the most part, it's bad/sad). The only thing we can do now is make best with what we got and try to keep on trucking. The site can at least be a hub for modding the various Halo games...the Washington D.C. to the United States of Halo Modding if you will (sans the bullshit politics). Sure, stuff happens here, but there are plenty of other websites out there doing things with Halo as well.

For the future, the only thing we can really hope for is 343i realizing that there is a serious modding community out here. And with that realization, try and support us in some way. Throw us a bone, release games for the PC again. Don't fight the modding community, embrace us dammit.

#5 User is offline   Tural 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:23 AM

Also here's a post I wrote when I felt the site was nearly done. The file date is 6/13/2009. It took me a while to find it.

I removed anything that was just my anger towards SourceGuy and the relevant drama, because none of that matters now.

The Life and Death of Halomods

June 2005: I registered on this site with the intent to play some Halo 2 mods or otherwise participate in typical activities on the site at the time. At this point, I registered on the Files forum, while there was a whole separate board, the Users forum, thriving just as much with many active community members. I don’t know the admin or staff well, but at this time I do believe there was standing admins on the Users forum, such as Excal and others. Grenadiac was not very active, as he had other priorities, from my recollection. From his own pocket he supports the site for the sake of the people visiting it.

In the meantime: I spend a lot of my time in the Halo 2 boards, though most of it is dedicated to helping users find solutions to their problems in the Help Desk and Tech Questions and Problems boards. This is done along side two people I’d come to be good friends with, Ketchup_Bomb and GametagAeonFlux.

March 2006: An interesting concept comes into play. Emblems begin appearing under user’s avatars and usernames. These are mysterious, run by the active admin, Iron_Forge; someone who put countless hours into the site for the sake of keeping the community alive and thriving, spurring the community with his research and efforts into the forums. These will become one of the biggest aspects of the site, all while being so simple. They create activity, they reward users for good deeds, it is a tremendous boost to the site, and it would continue to be so until the end of days.

August 2006: GametagAeonFlux, Ketchup_Bomb, and myself are promoted to the staff rank, Lieutenant, on the Files forum due to our continued assistance in the community and our assistance to the staff in keeping the forum clean.

December 2006 – January 2007: Grenadiac and Iron_Forge present the idea to the staff that they will be merging the Files and User forums together to create one unified community. This takes place late January 2007. Many people oppose it, but very quickly it becomes apparent that it was the right decision. Activity is great, everyone is working well together, the community thrives on this change, the unification of two groups of members into one. This is the high point of my stay at the sight, as far as I’m concerned. It was a perfect solution, and it brought a plethora of great content to the site and the community.

In the meantime: Lots of time passes with nothing remarkably different to the site, the community is self-sustaining, the staff keep the site running and clean with minimal admin intervention. Grenadiac gets married, buys a new house, and starts a business. He’s taking a break from the site, mostly supporting it through ad revenue and some pocket expense.

February 2008: Grenadiac makes a thread in the news board about the potential end of Halomods due to an ad change perpetuated by Google, which will result in massive revenue loss for the site. Grenadiac informs the community that there are a few options. He can shut down the site, turn it over to someone who can pay the ~$150 out of their pocket each month, change up the server, possibly remove file hosting, or find a new way to advertise. Not much comes of this, but the server does get changed to a cheaper solution a few months later, in April 2008. This new server has some problems that result in quite a bit of downtime, but the community lives through the extended issues, and Grenadiac comes back to fix them when he can.

December 2008: Grenadiac has supported the site through 2008 up until this point out of his own pocket for the good of the site, but he cannot continue anymore.

[Removed]

January 18th, 2009: Iron_Forge posts his resignation, he pays tribute to the site and all it has been through over the years, and says we must accept the change that will come.

[Removed]

In the meantime: The site gets worse and worse. Halo modding is a dying art, due mostly in part to the Xbox 360 and its limitations on Halo 3 modding. The site is dwindling, and SourceGuy wants to find a way to keep it going. He proposes an idea to move the site to a general modding site, picking a new game to expand to in order to help the site keep going. The community is split on these sorts of ideas, and in reality, the site will never be able to get back to its original glory. SourceGuy cannot save it, nor can anyone. The best course of action would be to let the community live it up in its last few months.

[Removed]

June 12th, 2009: SourceGuy posts the idea of the site having a sort of ‘reviews’ theme, with members writing reviews for games and whatnot. This is straying further and further from what made the site successful, and what the community wants. Enter Detox, one of, if not the premier Halo 3 modder, leading the way of research with Xbox 360 development kits, along with many others, such that the information would be available if Xbox 360 modification ever became possible. He’s one of a dying breed keeping modding alive, and he’s expressed interest in modding another game with the idea of Geo’s. This could potentially bring a large boost of activity to the site, if all were to go well.

[Removed]

People:
Ketchup_Bomb, I wasn’t too fond of you recently, but I think it’s just because of the communication breakdown with your absence from the site. We had some great times back before you left.
shadowkhas: You were one of the best staff members we have ever had, an incredibly friendly person who did great things for the staff and community over the years. You were a tremendous asset to the site.
ScottyGEE: You’re in the same boat. You were staff briefly, and left on your own accord, but you were an incredibly friendly guy and a very productive member of the community, both in your communications and in your contributions to modding in Halo 2.
Detox: Your actions in Halo 3 were noble, you did everything you could to help people. The people you helped are truly grateful for your actions.
Geo: A great admin, I know you did everything you could to help the site continue.
Iron_Forge: The most important person to the site’s success, as far as my stay has been concerned. I don’t have enough words to describe all you did for the site, your impact was unmatched.

The rest of you guys that I’d like to elaborate on, but this is getting long, that were awesome as far as the site goes (Don’t be offended if I forget you, there’s simply too many people to remember every single person, nearly everyone helped the site live as it did before now, and you should all be proud of what you did): JK-47, CabooseJr, Veegie, V0Lt4Ge, kibito87, G.I.R., DrXThirst, Aumaan Anubis, turk645, INSANEdrive, MrBalll, Monkey Terd, JacksonCougar, Ombre, Pyroman, Trulife8342, FleetAdmiralBacon, Danke, -Legendary-, shade45, Locke, noscottno, xbox7887, DarkShallFall, Hawaiian Modder, Pepsi, HPDarkness, Dootuz, Xero, theycallmechad, Darco, Jean-Luc, Jordan, Malf, kornkidcrazy, xheadshotmastax, Anthony, kornman00, Zone 117, trepdimeflou, jumbosize123, Skayter, Chromega, Antheon, mxrider, Evolved, The Swamp Fox, and everyone I may have forgotten. Good luck to everyone who may not stick around, it’s been a pleasure getting to know you guys over these many years we had on the site.

This post has been edited by Tural: 07 September 2011 - 03:24 AM

#6 User is offline   Zone117x 

• PipPip

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:36 AM

You did a good job describing the anomaly that the halo modding community was. I had a great time during the few years I was involved - it was certainly a great hobby. Its likely I would not have got into programming or be in my current (good) situation if I had never been part of the halo modding community.

#7 User is offline   KetchupBomb 

• Pip

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:01 AM

I share all the same sentiments. I was really close to you fellas for years. Heck, shadowkhas and JK-47 have been to my house multiple times for de Haloz LAN partays. Great guys.

The time I spent here--and it was a lot--created fond memories that always bring a smile. It's amazing how something so simple can bring so many people together to form such strong bonds.

An addicting game, a strict forum, and some incredibly nerdy, smart ass, and intelligent guys. Who knew what a monster that combination would make?

My hat is off to you all. What a wonderful experience it was!

#8 User is offline   derp 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:16 AM

HEY GUY. I AM OFFENDS FOR NOT BEING ON THE LIST OF AWESOME PEOPLE... I WILL JUST CATEGORICAL MY SELF AS ONE OF THE "MANY OTHERS".

#9 User is offline   Tural 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:20 AM

I remember you, GreenbayGeneral. That was you right? You made/wanted to make a video in Halo 2 once. I was there.

#10 User is offline   derp 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:23 AM

I think I liked Armed Civilian the best. :P

#11 User is offline   shadowkhas 

• Definitely Gay
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationSL, UT

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:11 AM

OG files.halomods.com represent.

I actually made an account on the users forums first and forgot about it until the merge. syk

View PostKetchupBomb, on 07 September 2011 - 04:01 AM, said:

Heck, shadowkhas and JK-47 have been to my house multiple times for de Haloz LAN partays.

pwnin u

This post has been edited by shadowkhas: 07 September 2011 - 05:12 AM

#12 User is offline   derp 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:25 AM

I hung out with Mr Cawley today... And now he liein about he been punching seal butts.

#13 User is offline   V0Lt4Ge 

• PipPip

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:00 AM

Jesus, man. I remember back in 8th grade, when I made a list of cool mod ideas during my art class. Almost everything I had ever created back then was with this place in mind. The majority of it never made it off of my hard drive.

I remember one night, when I told my best friend about the "hierarchy" of Halomods, and about who I thought was cool, and who pissed me off. A funny conversation, thinking back to it.

I remember being stuck on dial-up internet for almost 6 months, and trying to softmod my Xbox because I wanted to experience Halo 2 modding so badly. I ended up deleting the entire dashboard. Explaining that to my parents was... interesting.

I remember those emblems, and how accomplished felt when I had earned the heart one. I used to sit on that help board and post in every topic, even if I only had a remote understanding of what the problem was. I'm sure I've mislead more than a few people...

I look at my friend's list on AIM and MSN, and I notice that most of the people on those lists are people that I've met on this site. For a while, ExileLord (for those of you who remember him) was definitely someone that I could have called my best friend - and I've never even met the guy face-to-face. I would be a liar if I said that this place, at one point, was my life. From every funny, serious, or dumb conversation posted on this forum, to every time actually playing with some of you guys...

Good times, my homies. Good times.

View Postshadowkhas, on 07 September 2011 - 05:11 AM, said:

OG files.halomods.com represent.

I actually made an account on the users forums first and forgot about it until the merge. syk

yeah buddy. I didn't even know the users forums existed until over a year after first finding this site. >__>

#14 User is offline   DrXThirst 

• PipPip
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:39 AM

Something about how awesome this site used to be, how it affected my childhood growth and development, and how I wish we could all get back into modding.

I would be surprised if anyone even did remember me, to be honest.

#15 User is offline   shadowkhas 

• Definitely Gay
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationSL, UT

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:26 PM

I can't forget you, DrXFuton. ;o

This post has been edited by shadowkhas: 07 September 2011 - 12:26 PM

#16 User is offline   Prototape 

• Wot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:43 PM

View PostDrCox, on 07 September 2011 - 05:25 AM, said:

I hung out with Mr Cawley today... And now he liein about he been punching seal butts.

You dented my camera, your lies are invalid ;_;

Metal reinforced my ass... :P

#17 User is offline   DrXThirst 

• PipPip
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:29 PM

Hahahaha, I will never live that down.

#18 User is offline   Tony 

• Pip

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:04 PM