Halomods Community Portal: This site. This community. - Halomods Community Portal

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

This site. This community.

#21 User is offline   DEElekgolo 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:03 AM

Hi I suck.

#22 User is offline   derp 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:10 AM

View PostDEElekgolo, on 08 September 2011 - 01:03 AM, said:

Hi I suck.

No, we like you.

#23 User is offline   DEElekgolo 

• PipPip

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:23 AM

I miss Decoy.

#24 User is offline   DoorM4n 

• A Remnant
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:05 AM

Tural, I am so glad that you posted this. I think about this weekly, and I hope that at any point through this that I don't give off the wrong impression about my attitudes toward this community.

This community will forever be embedded in my heart as one of the highlighting moments of my youth. My brother made my Xbox modded, and he showed me Halomods. I made an account on Halomods when I was in 7th grade--I was 13. Halo 1 Xbox modding was wrapping up by then, and I put my foot in the door at the last minute. Halomods was a place unlike anything I had ever experienced in my short life. The surge of creativity oozed from every thread. The possibilities of designing a fantasy world inside of a game that literally changed my perspective on the world. Halo engulfed my world. Halo NMP and Halo CXE rattled my cage that I lived in. I yearned to release my creativity in such a way that I could design whatever the hell I wanted to in a world with unlimited possibilities. I remember in junior high and high school, drawing out plans to some of my mods that I released and many that I did not. Lockout underground arena and the Dawn of Warfare were drawn out on pieces of paper in my classes. I would draw where all of the machines and guns were going to be located, and I used every ounce of my imagination to escape into my infinite world. I would get home from school to sped my entire evenings radically manipulating Halo. I fortunately had dozens of friends in school that played Halo so every Friday we had about 10-15 guys come over to have a massive LAN. We would play XBC for hours at a time and we have been known to hold 36hour Halo Lan parties. Halo was my lifestyle. I have friends online that I still consider my great friends, SU8ZERO and dec1234 and zzJoezz, llamajuice. These guys all shared that same goal that you mentioned Tural. We all craved to release all of our creative energy into this medium--Halo. I breathed, dreamed, and saw Halo everywhere. I still fantasize of this world as a collection of complex tags as Halo is built in. That each and every person is intertwined within the realm of some sort of super-dimensional coding.

The halo modding days are gone, but I still crave to be back in the day when Halo modding was vibrant and full of creativity. We all wanted to make our world in Halo and achieve that goal of success in making a product that people will play and remember. I cherish those memories I have on Halomods. I still have all of my maps, all of my modding tools, and all of my signatures, notes, tutorials, and I have them backed up in case that I lost my HDD. You guys have impacted me so much that, as you guys were saying, I am the person that I am today because of you guys. You guys gave me such friendship and fun in this community that I wish it were still present. I have some of the best years of my life on Halomods so far and I don't believe that I will have anything like Halomods ever again in my life. I am sorry to admit that. However, I think there is something that I must say to you all.

A lot of us grew up on Halomods, creating friendships and bonds that will never be broken, for we share such a uniting sensation that lives in all of us. We are all modders of the #1 best selling game for arguably the best console gaming system that has ever existed. But with all of our friendship, skills honed, and community bonds, it is important to take our life stories and lessons that we have learned from here and create our own Halomodding-esque communities with the people in our real world. We all have a love for each other here with a special commonality that bonds us, and I don't want anyone to think that the great days of their lives are over. Our lives have just began, and we started them out with a surge of creativity, passion, and friendship. I think we should be the responsible adults that we are all, or growing into, and utilize the positive traits that we have gathered from Halomods. We have a lot to offer to the world, and I hope that all of you take your creativity, your unique problem solving abilities, your uncanny ability to read complex code and reverse engineer a foreign engine, and your artistic abilities and show the world that you are not just an ordinary human in this world. Halomods gave us all life traits that we have capitalized on, and it is our duty to create a loving community with the people around us by using those traits that we have honed throughout the years.

I hope that I haven't gone too philosophical or anything, but I just want everyone to keep striving to be the very best that you can be. The great years of Halomodding are over, unfortunately; however, I believe that we all have skills that have developed over the time being here and we all can create the passionate, creative, and amiable communities with the people around us. Halomods may be over, but trust me, our lives have just begun with an experience unlike anyone has ever had. I am absolutely honored to have been in the same community as you Tural, kornman, and everyone else here who modded back in the early 2000's. Spiral out guys--the world can use our people's abilities.

This post has been edited by DoorM4n: 08 September 2011 - 05:10 AM

#25 User is offline   Codykins 

• The Hug Master
  • PipPip
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

I joined around early 06 back in the day (Under a different username).
Although I rarely posted unless I absolutely needed too, I truly do miss the old days and distinct criticism that followed, apart from the tad bits of drama that was thrown out now and again. Even at a young age, modding Halo in general seemed to always spark my interest, no matter how trivial or small the mod may have been.
Now I spend countless hours, daily, developing and tinkering with maps, still trying to bend even further into the fabric of Halo's engine, whether it be HPC, HCE, H1X, or H2X.

Id'e spend day-in and day-out on the site, just exploring and soothing my fascination with the capabilities that could be applied to Halo's engine.

In short, Halomods was, and forever will be a shining icon in my heart as one of the best youthful experiences in my days.

This post has been edited by Codykins: 08 September 2011 - 07:48 AM

#26 User is offline   Xerax 

• Double Faggot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

It makes me sad that I Joined HaloMods towards the Start of the End. :(

#27 User is offline   Grimdoomer 

• PipPip

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:30 AM

I find it ironic that the same day this was posted I found my old copy of Halo 2 Hacks and looked at all the modders that were referenced in that book. Most of which I was actually able to meet for a brief period of time, before they disappeared.

#28 User is offline   DoorM4n 

• A Remnant
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationHouston

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:05 AM

What is Halo 2 Hacks?

#29 User is offline   derp 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:27 AM

View PostDoorM4n, on 09 September 2011 - 04:05 AM, said:

What is Halo 2 Hacks?

Durrp
http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0596100590

This title was created with the help of numerous gamers from the Halo community. Whether it was a trick, a glitch or a mod, Cawood went straight to the source and gathered all of the necessary information to help you complete the hack. The mod section of the book features contributions from Grenadiac, MrMurder, Iron_Forge, GTJuggler, The Swamp Fox, and many more. Halo 2 Hacks also features a foreword by Ducain (the admin for HighImpactHalo.org), Louis Wu (the admin for Halo.Bungie.org) and Grenadiac (the admin for HaloMods.com).

This post has been edited by DrCox: 09 September 2011 - 05:28 AM

#30 User is offline   Tural 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:44 AM

Damn. MrMurder. That guy was amazing. I forgot him when I wrote that second (first chronologically) message.

#31 User is offline   Prototape 

• Wot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:06 AM

View PostDrCox, on 08 September 2011 - 12:58 AM, said:

Why don't you go drive down a dirt road. :P/>

Maybe I will. Mkay?

This post has been edited by Prototape: 17 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

#32 User is offline   Tural 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

Can you guys contain your "we met irl" circlejerk to one thread?

#33 User is offline   Gary 

• ¬ 1337
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne, FL

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

View PostTural, on 09 September 2011 - 12:27 PM, said:

Can you guys contain your "we met irl" circlejerk to one thread?

I agree. Posts removed.

#34 User is offline   Cuda 

• ☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNo.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

So you guys got all brokeback in a softtop mustang in a forest. Grats. Brush your teeth.

Nostalgia Nostalgia Nostalgia.

Someone needs to find The_Hushed_Casket, Kirk, Maca, Legato and Phenomena so they too can partake in the orgy of nostalgia. This site got me into graphic design as a whole. I pirated my first copy of Photoshop 7 so I could take a crack at making halo sigs like all the other cool kids, and that turned into a single texture for a green plasma grenade on a mod with ripped content that got swiftly deleted. That ended my halo modding career. Photoshop stuck with. I ended up making sprays, decals, and textures for CSS, and a few skins for other non-Halo games. I got some work doing some graphic design work for small projects here and there since then, and I got this site for inspiring my first foray into piracy to make sigs to show off on this site. Not as deep as Tural's nostalgia bomb, that's for sure, but fuck it. I said my piece.

ty halomods.

So do we all kill ourselves now or something?

#35 User is offline   Eaton 

• Pip
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:23 PM

Ah, the memories.. I joined the site as a newbie hardly knowing anything about computers. I was just an Xbox gamer without XBL and really enjoyed Halo. I found out about the modding world in 2007 and became a part of Halo mods. I spent a lot of time with Halo 2 and was sad that I wasn't around to experience the golden years. Fortunately, Halo 3 was coming up and I was excited to be a part of the start of the Halo 3 modding age. I'm glad Detox, Veegie, etc, made progress on Halo 3. It's still one of my favorite games to this day and, like what they said in the beginning, created an awesome set of tools and plugins to give people a head start when the general public is able to mod.

Halo 3 was the start of my involvement with the Xbox 360. I met Unknown v2 on here and he was probably the reason for my transition to Xbox 360 modding. I still work with him to this day and boy does he do amazing things..

As Kornman said, hopefully 343i will embrace the modding community with the upcoming trilogy. With homebrew about to explode with this new reset glitch hack, I feel as if HaloMods will thrive again.

Remember when you RC'd me, Tural? :P You still using the custom MW2 theme I made you?

#36 User is offline   Tural 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

View PostEaton, on 09 September 2011 - 03:23 PM, said:

Remember when you RC'd me, Tural?
I think most members on the site could ask me that.

#37 User is offline   shadowkhas 

• Definitely Gay
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationSL, UT

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:16 PM

Legat0. God. What an amazing user.

#38 User is offline   INSANEdrive 

• INSANE "Maxiumus" drive
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationCell Block #Q

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:47 PM

What is this... I don't even. :blink:

(Ill post later when what I'm seeing sinks in...in-till then here is fuel for the nostalgia fire.)

View PostDoorM4n, on 09 September 2011 - 04:05 AM, said:

What is Halo 2 Hacks?

Best Book Ever. Duh.

Edit:
I have to say...after I picked my jaw off the floor, I was very much elated to read what I read. It's about freaking time I saw some posts around here that kept it real. I'll even forgive the...pegasus fairy thing that has invaded the internet. I probably should wait a-bit and post later when i can better collect my thoughts...but my brain is a buzzing and won't shut up, and stabbing it with a Q-Tip doesn't seem to be working this time. SO...I don't think I need to answer what most likely should be known by those of you who are still here, or at least the ones posting in this thread. Yes...yes I have reminisced about Halomods. You may remember some of the posts. If you don't, that's fine too. I don't think I need to mention how freaking grizzled ancient I am when it comes to Halomods. (Halomods was two weeks old approx.)Is it just me or is everyone a freekin' "graphic artist" because of Halomods? And If that's true...why do we always choose BLUE? I mean...don't get me wrong...blue is pretty bitch'n...but still...lets visually web 2.0 this shit. :kic:

Don't have much else to say...Ive mostly said it all already. I guess the only thing I have to say now is a cryptic "Its about time". Everything else I want to say you all most likely wouldn't understand anyway.

Hey, it's me.B)

This post has been edited by INSANEdrive: 10 September 2011 - 01:32 AM

#39 User is offline   LlamaJuice 

• Camera Whore.
  • PipPip
  • LocationSeattle Wa

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

This site literally took control of my life in High School. I would spend all of my time at school during study halls and such making up designs for levels for Halo 1 so I could port them to the Xbox. Every weekend I'd have a LAN party to show off whatever new maps I was working on/whatever the community was working on and because of it I was one of the super cool guys at school hahaha. "Nah dude, go over to Llama Juice's house, he has new maps for Halo!" That's when people IRL started calling me Llama too. I realized that most of my friends IRL more or less just liked me because I had neat toys, rather than liked me for me... but the people on this site, or my friends on XBL for Halo 2 liked me for me... and so I spent most of my time after school either on this forum or playing Halo 2 online with mods to toy with. (Never to cheat with, just silly proj swaps and Containment racetracks and such haha).

Since the golden days ended I moved over to Halo2Vista.net/Modacity.net and continued there... and over there I actually started a new passion.. Youtube. Eventually the two came together when I took a huge roadtrip from Florida up the east coast through Massachusetts, and then over to Wisconsin. I met a dozen or so people from the community then, and ended up having a trip that is unforgettable because of you guys.

The biggest thing that I took away from this community is the passion for creating maps and 3D art. Because of my involvement here I ended up going to college for Game Art. I ended up moving across the country to learn more about stuff that I picked up here. For that I can't thank you guys enough. This community literally changed my life in that way, and I'm so glad that it did.

The last night that Halo 2 was online on XBL I played that game until about 3 PM the next day... not wanting to say goodbye to it. When I finally was about to pass out and die I had to turn it off, knowing that I wouldn't be able to turn it back on. That moment was literally one of the hardest things I've ever done emotionally. That night I played my 10,000th match online... and I felt like I was saying goodbye to all of those wonderful years we had together. Yea, I cried a bit, I'll admit it. It was fucking sad, okay? haha. It felt like breaking up with a girlfriend of 5 years, or putting your family dog down. The fact that I had to look it in the face and turn it off and never be able to really turn it on again was a really tough thing to do.

A lot of the friends that I made because of this community I still talk to today. Hell when I was moving out to Seattle, Kornman asked if I wanted to be his roommate haha. The fact that because of this community... I can go anywhere in the world and know at least SOMEBODY within a few miles is just amazing. My shout out list from back in the day would have to be Doorm4n, Hizlo, T1xAnton, Kornman, Snafubar, and Korori. These guys were all either huge inspirations, great amounts of help, or just great friends. I know I'm missing a bunch of people... but this shit is long enough already haha.

TL;DR: I love you. You changed my life. I cried when Halo 2 went offline.

#40 User is offline   MrBig 

• PipPip

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

Makes me sad that I never contributed much to this site after being here for 7 years, my original nick being "xbox". But if it wasn't for this site, my life would have been completely different. I was introduced to photoshop here and the first thing I made was a red skin for the warthog. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't even consider art interesting, let alone want to be a concept artist in the entertainment industry, hoping to end up at Bungie or WETA, wherever they end up.

This post has been edited by MrBig: 11 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic