Halomods Community Portal: This site. This community. - Halomods Community Portal

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

This site. This community.

#41 User is offline   Shoutrvb 

• Friend
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:14 AM

Shit, I don't even know where to begin. Seeing all of these posts has made me smile, and it really takes me back. This place has been such a huge part of my life that I cannot even begin to cover all of how it has impacted me. I recall making my first account on Halomods.com in late 2004, but joining files.halomods.com at the beginning of 2005, and things just took off from there. I was homeschooled back in those days, and yes, I was rather socially awkward. The Files forum became somewhat of a new home for me, and I remember spending so much time -- time, that should have been spent on school work, spent instead on becoming apart of what would later be one of my main career and academic foundations. Crazy, right? HaloMods was my other side, my double life, and it instilled me with such confidence and vigor. You guys instilled me with such confidence. Even Tural, whom I considered an asshole from the beginning, I grew to respect. Regardless of my differences with anyone here, we were all fighting for the same team, and I truly felt like I was apart of an amazing team. After my first month here, I decided to run for the Guardian positions (back when we had those) because I wanted to be apart of of the machine that made HaloMods tick. Correction, I needed to be apart of it. The purpose of a Guardian was to guide users and help in anyway possible, and I can vividly recall PM'ing and AIM'ing users after users information and getting to know so many people. Soon, I got to know people like Cobby, INSANEdrive, ArmedCivilian, Shadowkhas, Apoc, Ketchup_Bomb, Mac_User, Leg0, Evolved, TheMadModder, Cuda, Phil, Phenomena, destroyer, and so many more (I even remember most of your original names ;) ). The list is ridiculous, and it's just mind-boggling how many true friends I feel like I picked up after a short time here. The list grew, and I can easily say that I've had good conversations with the majority of the people here, and can firmly claim many of you as personal friends. Though I don't post here often anymore, and I'm rarely on AIM or MSN, some of you have kept up with me on Facebook and other means, and it makes me feel glad that those friendships haven't passed. - On that note, others are welcome to PM me about my Facebook for those who wish to keep up there.

Nearly 7 years later, I'm soon to be 20, and I plan to attend SCAD in Savannah GA for Motion Media Design; a skill and passion, founded right here at HaloMods. I was never a great modder, but the bank of knowledge I've acquired here could never be bought, and it has driven me so far. Being around greats has been what has driven me. Hopefully this place sticks around for just a little longer.. I'd love to come back a few years from now and return just what this place and its people have done for me. As sappy as that sounds, remarkably, it's true. HaloMods changed and massively influenced my life. -SHOUTrvb/Myles :kic:

/P.S. Tural, I never thought you to be truly an asshole, you just pissed me off from time to time. However, it's safe to say that many here went through times of being total dicks to each other. Like you said, we were practically kids back then, and 7 years later, I can consider you as someone I practically grew up with. :highfive:

#42 User is offline   LlamaJuice 

• Camera Whore.
  • PipPip
  • LocationSeattle Wa

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:29 AM

^^I hung out at SCAD with a member of Modacity. I dunno if he ever was a member over here back in the day or not, but... this community lead me to that one... and a lot of the friendships carried over. Thanks to this place I got to see what Savannah GA was like and got to meet up with some super awesome people.

You guys rock. <3

EDIT: The guy I met up with was Reaper Man btw.

This post has been edited by LlamaJuice: 12 September 2011 - 05:29 AM

#43 User is offline   Prototape 

• Wot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:01 PM

I was bitter before, now I'm too tired for bitter.

Yeah, this place was pretty awesome. And you guys were all a great part of my life. I spent an unhealthy amount of time here back in the day, and I don't really regret it because I've learned stuff from here that I appreciate. It's funny how everyone came here for modding, but everyone mentions this website opened them up to art in some shape or form. It's the case for me as well, but pretty much just digital art. I've never really had a problem with the physical stuff.

This place opened up a world to me of electronics and the like. I spent a year in college for electronics engineering, but I'm kind of realizing I really... really hate it. So I'm switching my major to environmental science, but it didn't hurt to try. I think I'd rather keep computer stuff as a hobby anyways, but it was this website that opened me up to that. Blessing and a curse, mostly a curse because now everyone wants me to fix their computer ;_;

But at this point, I have a hard time feeling nostalgic. I'd spent too much time on nostalgia since Halomods started to die down in activity, and I think I'm just tired of it. Internet stuff has become pretty irrelevant to me, and I haven't played a video game in a couple of months now. It's something I'm kind of growing out of, like many of the other members have, and as I'm sure a few of you are doing right now. I'm pretty much high on life and it's a shame for me to spend time inside playing a game or being on the computer when I could be out taking in my surroundings and looking for opportunities. Recently I've been looking into getting a temp job in Antarctica and stay there for a season, but who knows if I'll even get it. I suppose the point is I'm trying. You wouldn't have seen me do that a couple years ago, or even last year. Due to the aforementioned college major switch, I want to get a look on what's in store for me.

So, essentially, I owe it to this website for shaping who I used to be. But, I'm growing into a completely different person, but I wouldn't be where I'm at now without who I used to be. That person was someone who spent hours and hours working on mods that I never released, to making sigs, talking to you guys, and would spend a long time on the computer or playing video games. Someone who cared too much about the internet. I was really introverted and scared to try new things in life. I would choose the internet over more important people in my life. I'm not saying it's all I'd do, but eh. It's a mistake I made and learned from, and I'm grateful for it. It didn't really cause problems but there were opportunities that I turned down because of it.

Also, I owe it to you guys for teaching me grammar :3 I used to be awful.

So really, thanks for the good times and the bad times. I look back on the fun I had here and appreciate it, and laugh at the fights I'd get myself into with a few of the members here. I believe I needed this place to get me on the right track and get through school so I could go to college. Before this place, I didn't care about education, I just wanted to have fun. So being a part of this place had it's benefits.

So to my internet pals (you know who you are), you're all really good guys and it's been fun. To all my old foes, same applies, and thanks for calling me out on my ridiculous shit. Believe it or not, some of the things you guys said to me sunk in. Not in a bad way, but in an "Oh lawd I'm being ridiculous" way. Now I'm a bit more reserved because of it.

So, that's pretty much all I have to say. My thoughts were scattered, but what do you want from me, it's early. I'm going back to bed. kaythanksbye

This post has been edited by Prototape: 12 September 2011 - 01:07 PM

#44 User is offline   Tural 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

Sup I'm flying to Savannah tomorrow, staying until Saturday. I'm going to meet Thirst and it's going to be super awesome! Yeah!

#45 User is offline   AumaanAnubis 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationCollege Station, Tx

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:15 PM

Man, I wish I had the patience to think-of/post all the sentimental stuff that a few of you have.

I wished so fucking hard I could've contributed more to this place. I owe it(you guys) a lot. I was not as nearly involved with the community or as skilled with modding as I would've liked to be. But hey, it was fun.

God, hate these emotional posts. So many things to say, neither the guts nor the patience to say them. You guys rock. Hope I meet some of you one day.

This post has been edited by AumaanAnubis: 12 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

#46 User is offline   shadowkhas 

• "Advanced" "Member"
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationSL, UT

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:34 PM

View PostPrototape, on 12 September 2011 - 01:01 PM, said:

Recently I've been looking into getting a temp job in Antarctica and stay there for a season, but who knows if I'll even get it. I suppose the point is I'm trying. You wouldn't have seen me do that a couple years ago, or even last year. Due to the aforementioned college major switch, I want to get a look on what's in store for me.

That's fucking awesome.

And I know the feeling of looking back on the past and being glad that you've grown beyond it.
CHRIST I was such a moron. (This is a process that will happen continually whenever you look back on yourself 5 years ago)

I'm mostly glad for forming friendships with people that are good to have in my life, because they'll call me out on my bullshit and not skirt around anything. Having ridiculous debates with Tural, Veegie, and GTAF (among others, I'm sure) on IRC about plenty of issues (some pointless, some worth their words) has taught me to think more critically about my beliefs and why I have them.

Tural, go to Utah so that we can go to In-N-Out Burger and be fat.

This post has been edited by shadowkhas: 12 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

#47 User is offline   Shoutrvb 

• Friend
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:48 PM

View PostTural, on 12 September 2011 - 01:29 PM, said:

Sup I'm flying to Savannah tomorrow, staying until Saturday. I'm going to meet Thirst and it's going to be super awesome! Yeah!

Definitely can't get away from class, but fly out sometime early next summer and we can have an HM reunion.

#48 User is offline   Tural 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:02 PM

make me nerd

#49 User is offline   Prototape 

• Wot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:30 PM

View Postshadowkhas, on 12 September 2011 - 10:34 PM, said:

That's fucking awesome.

And I know the feeling of looking back on the past and being glad that you've grown beyond it.
CHRIST I was such a moron. (This is a process that will happen continually whenever you look back on yourself 5 years ago)

I'm mostly glad for forming friendships with people that are good to have in my life, because they'll call me out on my bullshit and not skirt around anything. Having ridiculous debates with Tural, Veegie, and GTAF (among others, I'm sure) on IRC about plenty of issues (some pointless, some worth their words) has taught me to think more critically about my beliefs and why I have them.

I thought so too, I just stumbled across the program and was like "Oh hey there". Filling out my application right now, I really hope I get something :<
Yeh, I used to be really concerned with how I acted around here, but I've pretty much decided I am who I am and I'm happy with that. Back in the day I was a weird hybrid of myself and what I thought people wanted me to be, and I ended up looking like a tard :P

View PostShoutrvb, on 12 September 2011 - 10:48 PM, said:

HM reunion.

An image just flashed through my head of all the HM members in one room. Oh lawd.

#50 User is offline   Tural 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

View PostPrototape, on 12 September 2011 - 11:30 PM, said:

An image just flashed through my head of all the HM members in one room. Oh lawd.
It'd have to be one huge room.

Get it cause everyone is so fat.

#51 User is offline   Prototape 

• Wot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:25 AM

I see what you did there.

#52 User is offline   INSANEdrive 

• INSANE "Maxiumus" drive
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationCell Block #Q

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:55 AM

View PostShoutrvb, on 12 September 2011 - 05:14 AM, said:

Shit, I don't even know where to begin. Seeing all of these posts has made me smile, and it really takes me back. This place has been such a huge part of my l[ ........ room with a moose.......]cause I wanted to be apart of of the machine that made HaloMods tick. Correction, I needed to be apart of it. The purpose of a Guardian was to guide users and help in anyway possible, and I can vividly recall PM'ing and AIM'ing users after users information and getting to know so many people. Soon, I got to know people like Cobby, INSANEdrive,[ ......and some other people and stuffs..... ]and so many more (I even remember most of your original names ;) ).
/P.S. Tural, I never thought you to be truly an asshole, you just pissed me off from time to time. However, it's safe to say that many here went through times of being total dicks to each other. Like you said, we were practically kids back then, and 7 years later, I can consider you as someone I practically grew up with. :highfive:

Go me. Gotta ask though...What did I do? And what is a cobby? Isn't that a dog on tv? Weird.

Edit: Oh...and since your the ba-jillinth to say that Halomods gave you cause to be a designer...you get to tell me what about it inspired you to pursue such.

View PostTural, on 12 September 2011 - 11:02 PM, said:

make me nerd

Here ya go... :downs:
So...what exactly sparked this thread any way? Be it a rogue thought or just a moment of mortal realization of self?

This post has been edited by INSANEdrive: 15 September 2011 - 04:58 AM

#53 User is offline   DoorM4n 

• A Remnant
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

You know, this has always bee a mystery to me, and I think it's time for me to ask this question. I have always been curious about this.

Ironforge and kornman (and a handful of others) pretty much made what modders do. Does anyone have any background information on them? For instance, how old they are, and what kind of jobs they have, and what they are doing now.

This post has been edited by DoorM4n: 15 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

#54 User is offline   Tural 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:41 AM

Iron_Forge is older. He smokes, lives in Canada, and works in a hospital.

That was the information I had a few years ago. No confirmation, that's just what he had casually mentioned to me.

Don't know anything about Kornman except that xbox7887 said he and kornman are similar in age.

#55 User is offline   shadowkhas 

• "Advanced" "Member"
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationSL, UT

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:27 AM

View PostTural, on 16 September 2011 - 12:41 AM, said:

[...]just what he had casually mentioned to me.

And everyone else who read the Rant thread/whatever that was in. >_>

#56 User is offline   Prototape 

• Wot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:57 AM

I'm flattered Doorman but I'd rather not have people pry into my life.

Loljk.

#57 User is offline   derp 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:02 AM

I want WES back :/

#58 User is offline   DrXThirst 

• PipPip
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

Me and Tural met and it was awesome! Yeah!

No, but seriously, we went to this town with nothing. They were excited about their mall with like 3 stores and their police station was in their mall.
Shit was hilarious.
And we ate at Applebees. 2 for $20 steaks, fuck yes.
And we went to the movies and saw Contagion and shared sweetarts. <3 hahahahaha

This post has been edited by DrXThirst: 16 September 2011 - 08:30 PM

#59 User is offline   Prototape 

• Wot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:21 PM

Me and Cox's adventure was more exciting. We punched sea lions.

In their butts.

This post has been edited by Prototape: 16 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

#60 User is offline   Patrickssj6 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:35 PM

View PostTural, on 16 September 2011 - 12:41 AM, said:

Don't know anything about Kornman except that xbox7887 said he and kornman are similar in age.

Korn's birthday is on the 21st of April...1 day after Hitler's xD

and his name Shawn. All I know.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic