• You cannot reply to this topic

HaloWars
KSoft.Tool

Tool for modding Halo Wars ERA files

#41 User is offline   mobius1 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:01 AM

I found that I can edit the "Line Of Sight" in the file objects.xml under the LOS value.
	<Object name="unsc_bldg_airPad_01" id="0" dbid="139">
		<LOS>55</LOS>
	</Object>

#42 User is offline   sam 

• Pip

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostNova, on 14 September 2011 - 01:36 PM, said:

Thanks for your amazing work. I have a small problem though whenever I try to expand a decrypted era file I get an error in the command prompt saying Encountered an error while trying to read the ERA: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'KSoft.LowLevel.dll' or one of its dependencies but the file is in the same directory as the tool. I already have the .xex patched and all the decrypted file so I would appreciate your help.

I am having same issue, I have put the ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll in the same extracted directory of ksoft.tool which also has the ksoft.lowlevel.dll. I have followed all the directions on the readme.txt. Installed 4.0 and 2010 x86 redistributed files. Do I need to put the ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll anywhere else? I have tried this program on windows xp 32 bit version, windows 7 64 bit, and windows 8 64 bit, but I keep on getting error on the command line. Anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

#43 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0
  • Group: Administrators

Users Awards

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

Since it's the "holiday season", and since I'm tired of having to see people complain about this issue, I went ahead and made a new build of KSoft.Tool. I did some testing on my end and I'm pretty sure none of you will run into the 'file not found' crap.

Let me know if there are any major issues with the new build.

Ho, ho, ho

#44 User is offline   sam 

• Pip

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:43 AM

View Postkornman00, on 25 December 2012 - 12:50 AM, said:

Since it's the "holiday season", and since I'm tired of having to see people complain about this issue, I went ahead and made a new build of KSoft.Tool. I did some testing on my end and I'm pretty sure none of you will run into the 'file not found' crap.

Let me know if there are any major issues with the new build.

Ho, ho, ho

Thank you for the update. I could not get the new version to work in xp/win7 but it worked fine on windows 8, so the problems were on my end. Thanks again. Happy new years!!!

#45 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

It didn't work on Win7, but worked on Win8? That's actually depressing to hear lol

Your Win7 machine may not have .NET 4/4.5 installed...pretty sure Win8 comes with everything up to and including .NET 4.5 installed already (and I think 4.5 may not even be supported on XP). Hopefully that is the case, as I was hoping to fix the problems other people were having.

Anyway, glad to hear it's working for you!

#46 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

I might add a Wwise file package/sound bank extractor/parser to KSoft.Tool in the coming months. I've figured enough of their .pck/.bnk formats to reverse engineer the stream file names.

The HW alpha build used a build of Wwise from 2007 which predates some revamping they did to the .bnk files. This is good in that there's some extra information that is useful in the sound banks themselves, but bad in that I have to add support for a build of Wwise which didn't get used in many (interesting) games that I know of.

It's too bad the Wwise authoring tools are good at their job and know what files are needed with what banks. Else I could get to some of the cut campaign dialogue which was in the game during the HW alpha build.

#47 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

t-t-t-triple post!

With the current prototype, I'm able to extract over 10k sound files from the game's sound package, with only a little over 500 of them not properly named (I don't process enough of the bank hierarchy to resolve some sound names, esp. music). Since some sounds can be found in multiple sound banks, so I just associate the sound with the first sound bank it's in (preferred behavior 99% of the time).

#48 User is offline   mobius1 

• PipPip

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

Shoot! No longer works for me
ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll was not found with this .exe! I'm probably going to
crash soon...
KSoft.LowLevel.dll was not found with this .exe! I need this DLL in order to run!

#49 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:08 AM

You kinda need to extract all the files from the archive (and to the same place) before you can use the .exe...

#50 User is offline   mobius1 

• PipPip

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:03 AM

Okay, it has admin problems

#51 User is offline   Outlaw185 

• No Idea
  • Pip

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

I can't get it to work it says
"SharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll was not found with this .exe! I'm probably going to crash soon...
Ksoft.LowLevel.dll was not found with this .exe! I need this DLL in order to run!"

My computer is windows 7 64-bit and I have .NET 4.5.

#52 User is offline   mobius1 

• PipPip

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:08 AM

The dlls are there, but the KSoft.tool refuses to run even the required dlls are within the directory.

#53 User is offline   Kili 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostOutlaw185, on 06 August 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

I can't get it to work it says
"SharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll was not found with this .exe! I'm probably going to crash soon...
Ksoft.LowLevel.dll was not found with this .exe! I need this DLL in order to run!"

My computer is windows 7 64-bit and I have .NET 4.5.

Try to install/enable .NET 3 or 3.5 and add directory with those DLLs to the system PATH (Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced > Enviromental Variables, at the end of Path variable add path to directory with DLLs). Then try to restart Windows and try again.

#54 User is offline   Outlaw185 

• No Idea
  • Pip

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:15 PM

I got it working. I needed to install the 2010 Redistributable program I had 2008.

#55 User is offline   mobius1 

• PipPip

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:46 AM

CD to the Download folder!

#56 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

New version has been released. Added support for Halo Wars sound extraction (you will need towav.exe to turn them into something you can play) and improved the Reach/Halo4 game variant tool

#57 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

I made public (under the MIT license) a cleaned up version of the Halo Wars backend code to KSoft.Tool earlier this month. You can find the Mercurial repo here. It's pretty unlikely that I'll be making anymore commits to this specific codebase, aside from bug/compatibility fixes within the existing code.

The codebase has two other KSoft framework dependencies:
KSoft BCL
KSoft.Wwise (for various audio interop)

If you're intending on trying to build codebase, you'll need to setup your depots in a specific manner (since I don't futz with submodules or w/e Mercurial calls them) and install a few VS extensions.

If you're interested in tracing the ERA-related code, you can start by looking in Test.KSoft.Phoenix/Resource/EraFileTest.cs. If you're interested in the game save guts, you can start by looking in KSoft.Phoenix/Resource/GameFile.cs, while all the actual contents/values found in game saves existing under the KSoft.Phoenix/Runtime/ folder. Be warned though that I never finished fully reversing the game save (too large of an undertaking, since it's all variable length data), so it's not something you can just start hacking away with. Which is unfortunate because the camera settings are at the very end of the save buffer, and IIRC you can modify them to permit the same no-limits I had in this video.

I also support serializing a large chunk of the game's XML content (this work was done when I wanted to do an app called "Serina" to help you simulate build strategies). You can start tracing the code in Test.KSoft.Phoenix/Games/HaloWars/HaloWarsTest.cs (see: HaloWars_LoadTest()) and you can find all the content-classes in the KSoft.Phoenix/Phx/ folder.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic