Media
Occupy Together

#1 User is offline   Prototape 

• Wot
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:57 AM

Spent all day throwing this together. It highlights some of the events during the marches that took place, and for those who don't understand the movement, there's a clip at the beginning that sums it up nicely.

I tried to keep it so everyone can watch it, not just people who favor the movement. So, enjoy. Or... Don't enjoy. Whatever floats your boat.

I wanted to put a lot more footage in there from movements all round the world, but the song only plays for so long, and I didn't want to make it one of those 10 minute long videos. So I'll probably make more in the future.

#2 User is offline   Twinreaper 

• Old School
  • PipPip
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:28 AM

No offense...but fuck the movement. I guarantee over 50% of those lazy asses spendy weeks on end are either professional government welfare recipients or unemployed collecting lengthy checks. I'm all for equality but this is completely insane. And I am really tired of hearing complain about there being no jobs. There are plenty of jobs, the problem is that everyone has a high horse when it comes to accepting or doing a certain job type. I'm sorry you can't feed your family and afford toilet paper because you are to stuck up to clean a McDonalds bathroom or deliver pizza. Get off your asses, figure out why your in the position you are, and stop blaming companies becuase you can't find work or becaue you think life is unfair....just my 2 cents.

And before you flame me for my opinion...I am a hard working tax payer with 2 kids. I've been thru unemployment and bankruptcy. I don't blame anyone else but myself and my own poor descisions for what I and my family has been thru. You live, you learn and go out and get yours..plain and simple.

#3 User is offline   Prototape 

• Wot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

Nah man, I don't burn people for their beliefs. And I'm sure in some states, what you say is true. But in my position, I was laid off from my job that took 4 years to find. I applied for the worst jobs you can imagine, and didn't get anything back. A job is a job to me, and I enjoy hard work unlike a lot of Americans nowadays. The economy here for a person like me who focused on school rather than jobs, then was thrown into the world with only a few months of retail under my belt.. it's hard. A lot of people where I was were stuck in the same position. And, I'm sure there were those like you explained: Were too picky, live off welfare because they're lazy, etc.

The thing about this is, there's a lot of different people in it, it's hard to gauge exactly what kind of personality is behind this. I only went to my local protest to take pictures, I didn't really care for joining in on it. But once I got down to talking to people, I felt I could relate more than I thought I could have. So, I did my research on what their complaint is, whether their complaint is even valid, and before I knew it I was in the park with them. There's a lot of smart people, a lot of employed people, a lot of caring people. And there's a lot of idiots, a lot of lazy people, and a lot of people who don't even know why they're there. This thing caught the attention of a slew of different personality types, which was the goal in any case.

I hold myself responsible for my actions, and I live by a code of honor personally and professionally. But in a world where that's not what gets you by anymore, it's hard. Even if I had a job, I'd still do this, because I'm frustrated with the direction this country is going in and have been for a while. I'm scared to even continue college, because after 2 semesters I'm already $7,000 in debt, and a degree doesn't mean much these days. A lot of the guys in the camp I talked to had from Associates to Masters degrees (some had Phd's), and once they got out of college they were still waiting tables, serving fast food, but had a mountain of debt behind them. This isn't a place where your hard work is paid off anymore, it's a place where you have to step on people's backs to get anywhere. And I'm not talking in regards about those on Wall Street entirely either, in general we've become assholes who dig up things on fellow employees to sell them out for our gain. I'm just concerned about my future, and other's futures. I have to deal with a lot of stupid shit being in this movement because a lot of people don't know what they're talking about, but a lot of others do. It's just a good thing for me personally to be a part of.

I've since left the occupation in Salt Lake City because they were losing focus, if they even had one initially. Rather than protesting anymore, they scheduled flash mob meditations, started gaining interest in siding with other protests just to gain members, etc. I'm helping set up one closer to my home though, and I'm hoping it will be more successful.

This post has been edited by Prototape: 28 October 2011 - 09:13 AM

#4 User is offline   Cuda 

• ☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNo.

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:17 AM

The occupation varies in effectiveness from place to place. The one in Oakland rioted after police intervention, the one in New York is great or horrendous depending on which 24 hour news cycle you believe, and the local one in Long Beach decided to occupy a city park 6 miles away from downtown Long Beach in the middle of a nature preserve.

#5 User is offline   Xerax 

• Double Faggot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

I'm with Twinreaper. At-least most of the occupy guys in London just look like lazy ass's and on benefits. Some are worthy, but most.. nope.

#6 User is offline   Prototape 

• Wot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:51 PM

View PostCuda, on 28 October 2011 - 11:17 AM, said:

The occupation varies in effectiveness from place to place. The one in Oakland rioted after police intervention, the one in New York is great or horrendous depending on which 24 hour news cycle you believe, and the local one in Long Beach decided to occupy a city park 6 miles away from downtown Long Beach in the middle of a nature preserve.

It's funny how the Oakland police had to take down the camp due to sanitation issues, yet when they took it down they made sure to scatter all the garbage all over the place. Irony.
See that's retarded, why would they choose a nature preserve? I'm pretty sure there's other parks in the area they could have chosen. It seems like location is an issue with a lot of places. For instance, they decided to chose a park notorious for drug deals and gang activity in my Occupy area. There's problems on a nightly basis, yet people refuse to move. I spent a lot of time talking to the hobos in the park, as did a few others. One of them approached us and was like "You realize there's sex offenders here, right?", and everyone just laughed. A couple nights later, a woman was raped 2 tents away from me. Yet they refuse to move to a different park because "Oh we're doing such a good job". They've also made it a point to not report any illegal activity to police, including that rape. One of the many reasons I had to leave.

View PostXerax, on 28 October 2011 - 04:59 PM, said:

I'm with Twinreaper. At-least most of the occupy guys in London just look like lazy ass's and on benefits. Some are worthy, but most.. nope.

Key word *look*. When I look at say the Tea Party, all I saw were a bunch of redneck republicans with rifles. But when you get down to the core matters and actually talk to people, you get the whole picture. You can have your opinion and I'm cool with that, but this is the core problem is people basing their opinions off appearance. When I see a black guy, I don't think he's going to pull out a piece of KFC in front of me, scarf it down, drink some Kool Aid, then pull out a gun and rob me. While carrying a stolen TV. But, I understand how it can put you off. It put me off initially until I actually started talking to people.

Mostly, I'm not there for the people. I didn't go to make new friends and talk up some serious semantics with them. The whole time I was in the park all I did was help the media outreach group pass out fliers around the city, and I talked to dem hobos. A lot of the people there are in fact idiots, some of them are bumming off welfare, etc. There's enough smart people to balance things out, though. But that's not what the point is, I went because of the message, nothing more.

This post has been edited by Prototape: 28 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

#7 User is offline   Tural 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:04 PM

wieners

This post has been edited by Tural: 28 October 2011 - 09:04 PM

#8 User is offline   Prototape 

• Wot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:40 PM

u.

#9 User is offline   Cuda 

• ☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNo.

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:43 AM

The nature preserve was the only place where they could get a permit. to give you an idea, this is where it was.
linky Silly kids.

#10 User is offline   Prototape 

• Wot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

Le lame, but if that was their only option then so be it I suppose. Some people are opting out of actually camping, maybe they should have done the same, idk.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic