Halomods Community Portal: Official Update, 12/2/11 - New Media Inside! - Halomods Community Portal

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Official Update, 12/2/11 - New Media Inside!

#1 User is offline   Ifafudafi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: CMT Person

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:20 AM

So, the more discerning among you might have noticed that there's been something of a shortage of publicly shown content lately, and that's for a couple of reasons. The first is that our artists are close to finishing off the heavy-lifting for our first release (The Truth and Reconciliation), diverting our focus toward gameplay balance, encounter design, and other things that can't really be demonstrated with small, easy “here's-a-picture” updates. Not that we'll be cutting off the flow of information; there's a shiny new trailer at the bottom of this announcement (wait, don't leave yet!), and we've got some more concrete details on our first map release a little further down the post.

The second reason is that CMT has undergone a massive and fundamental internal shift in the past couple of months. The changes and reasons for them are numerous (and, to some, perhaps a bit obvious); it would take more time than it’s worth to explain them all - we've completely reworked the way we handle internal communication and testing, for one - but the two end results are that we've experienced a dramatic improvement in consistency, organization, and development speed, and that we've rebuilt the team's hierarchy to look something like this:

Spoiler

If you tl;dr'd (shame on you), this means that Masterz has stepped down as Team Leader and has handed the reins over to Teh Lag. Lag's guidance has been instrumental toward bringing both the team and the project to where they are today; the change is supported by every member of the team. Masterz has his own reasons for agreeing to step down, which he can share when/if he cares to (no need for all that in a formal update).

So now that we've got that out of the way, here are the details I promised about public release #1: our plan is to release A50 in its entirety - Brutes, new BSPs, and all - around late January/early February. Until then, a steady drip of new media and material will continue to be provided; now that many of the mod's core components are in place and functional, we can delve deeper into the elements, processes, and lines of thought behind SPv3's development, giving you guys in-depth looks into what makes the mod as unique and expansive as it is.

Below is one such video – it provides a recap of what we’re setting out to do, an overview of some of what can be expected in A50, and a first look at the updated level (and some for-real gameplay!)

We'll have another formal announcement in about a month or so with more precise information on the upcoming release. Until then, enjoy the video, and keep your eyes trained on Halomods for the latest updates and information.

#2 User is offline   LieuRob 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:38 AM

This is amazing, im more psyched about this than any other game coming out at all. It looks brilliant.
Keep up the good work :D, I cant wait for this to be finished.

#3 User is offline   Hotrod 

• PipPip
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

It's unbelievable how much you guys have done with OS to make this game look amazing for its age. Once you're done doing the environments inside the ship, some people might mistake this for Halo 2.

#4 User is offline   Jaz 

• Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationEarth, Near The Sun, Milky Way

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

Will you be maintaing Truth and Reconciliation's stealth features? I recently played through the campaign for the first time and loved the Truth and Reconciliation stealth options. Sneaking around the covenant camp is incredible, and after that I even kept my sniper for the entire ship scene, massacring my marines, then sneaking through the corridors and assassinating anything I saw.

Other than that,

Awesome work guys. Love the bsp changes, though I think you should rethink the snow. Just because it's night, that doesn't equal snow.

This post has been edited by Jaz: 02 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

#5 User is offline   DarkHalo003 

• PipPip

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

Love the Shotgun! Can't wait to see what you guys do with all of the WIP! The ODSTs definitely look nice as well.

#6 User is offline   Pat167 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:31 AM

I know this will give my computer a heart attack but I still look forward to it. I love the reticle change of the plasma rifle and the return to the original sniper reticle. (although the square one shown in in the HUD thread wouldn't be bad). And I instantly fell in love with the entire scene with specular enabled. Any uninformed participator could easily mistake this for a retail game by bungie. Bravo is the least I can say. I hope to see more because this is something more than promising. For the first minute or so I could swear I was watching a redone halo 3.

#7 User is offline   Smythe 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:57 AM

Every time i see those rocks my heart flutters, they look simply amazing.
New ODSTs are very nice, looking forward to seeing more of that Grunt.

Also i was wondering what you'd be doing with new segments in TaR? i'd like to see a section where there were multiple ways to take on an engagement through different corridors and such. Or even through the ventilation shaft you see briefly in Keyes.

#8 User is offline   LegioOfShadows 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

Are you guys gonna redo the T&R exterior? Because right now, with all of those sweet textures, it just looks like a load of bird poop on your freshly polished Aston Martin. But of course you will. Otherwise, Halomaps would eat your brains.

Also, if you are going to have custom segements of it, might I recommend fighting through a dark cave?

#9 User is offline   MythicUltra 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

Everything looks good. Hope that everything will be at the same level at release.

Masterz1337 said:

Our mod has always been about choice. It can be played great any way you want. Also Needler is planned to be pink again.

I liked the blue needler though. It was one of the first things that stood out to me with SPv1.

But if everything comes down to a pink needler, release the blue needler?

This post has been edited by MythicUltra: 03 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

#10 User is offline   probros69 

• Pip

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

Is there something wrong with the spiker reload animation? It sems that when you reload, you're not taking anything out or putting anything back in.

This post has been edited by probros69: 03 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

#11 User is offline   scopedknife 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

Much better than I expected. <3

#12 User is offline   Pat167 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

The blue needler would be something that noone else has released. I think it should stay 1. Because if just plain looks cool.
2. It is like a trade mark of CMT. 3. It just fits. Makes it feel like your really playing a whole different game.

#13 User is offline   Deliman 

• PipPip
  • Locationa cage in yo mammas bedroom

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

Those blood effects in the video for the various covenant etc. look WAY too bright and misty imo, the decals too. They resemble splashes of plasma more than they do blood, and the grunt blood is a bit too dark of a blue dontcha think?

also is cmt going to be applying blood that dries like in spv2? Or was that hurled out the window when ifafuda-...err..you took the reins for effects?

and yes I'm a perfectionist when it comes to effects, it's both a blessing and a curse

One more thing, has it ever been considered to make injured bitmaps for each ai so when a certain part of the ai or the ai as a whole takes enough damage they won't look squeaky clean and blood free? It's been one of my greatest annoyances with the halo series. If a body is dead, it should LOOK dead. and since injury decals aren't possible I figured maybe you could just change the actual textures to appear injured.

This post has been edited by Deliman: 03 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

#14 User is offline   Faceman2000 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

Pretty sure the Brute blood is WIP, I can't see any other reason it would like that.

#15 User is offline   Masterz1337 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: CMT Person

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:57 PM

We made the decision for brute blood to glow because it is a good visual cue that you're impact damage. Elites have shields, grunts and hunters have glowy blood, jackals have the shield which moves around when they get shot. Obviously, the brute blood in it's current state still needs it's bitmaps reworked.

#16 User is offline   Deliman 

• PipPip
  • Locationa cage in yo mammas bedroom

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:12 PM

View PostMasterz1337, on 06 December 2011 - 10:57 PM, said:

We made the decision for brute blood to glow because it is a good visual cue that you're impact damage. Elites have shields, grunts and hunters have glowy blood, jackals have the shield which moves around when they get shot. Obviously, the brute blood in it's current state still needs it's bitmaps reworked.

why not have sparks appear on the brute? considering that they usually have some armor on at all times, sparks appear where you shoot them would make more sense, and also give them a power-armor type feel.

#17 User is offline   EdSnaider 

• Heroic Challenger
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationMexico

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:09 AM

Want to see more! :cool:

#18 User is offline   teh lag 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

Many of youmay have noticed that we haven't been putting out much new media in the last few weeks. We'll have a formal update for you all in time; we've been struggling with a few things internally. It has been quite a while since our last update though, so have some pics. There's light at the end of this crazy tunnel, don't worry guys.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   Gary 

• ¬ 1337
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne, FL

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:20 PM

Looks beautiful. Keep up the great work.

Also, is there some sort of rigging error with the cyborg? The legs look... off.

#20 User is offline   Pat167 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

Warning : This game is not recommended for those who have epilepsy!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users