#1 User is offline   Prey 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:39 AM

Orbit
Version: b1.1
Author: Prey

This project ended up pulling me in two directions; concentrate on the rendering which is the bit I'm interested in, or concentrate on the functionality which is the bit my target audience(hey guys) is probably interested in?.. In the end I think I did equal amounts of concentrating, but you be the judge!

Change Log
-------------
b1.0 --> b1.1

- DXT compressed textures will now inject into the map properly.

Orbit is a 3D, halo 2 map renderer and editor, and is the successor to my previous application Prophet. Here's some images of what you can expect:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

So hopefully I've peaked your interest. The app is attached to the bottom of this post, along with source if your a wantin. What follows is now a bit of a tutorial on how to use:

Load your map
Maps load much faster with the new internal design. Mainly, models and textures are now cached so there's never two of one thing. This has cut down load times and memory usage substantially, by half at least I think.

The goto feature
The coords, lightmap, skin and spawns tabs all have the goto feature. It allows you to zoom from your current location to a specific point on the map, be it a bookmark or object you're editing. Bookmarks are there in case you have places on your map you want to come back to at a later date (just remember to save the bookmark!)

The lightmap editor
Nothing you haven't seen before, but this time edit's will show up in the render window almost as soon as you change a value. I say almost, as when you have all lightmaps selected there can be a 3 second delay.

The skin editor
Here's a (or rather, the) feature from Prophet, but this time round much more fine-tuned. Whereas Prophet only let you edit what it though was the diffuse map, or the bump map, etc (and it wasn't always right), now Orbit will show you all a shader's bitmaps and just tell you in brackets what one it is using for what.

One thing to note about this tab is the Import button: It can inject textures that are bigger or smaller than the texture it is replacing, meaning you can inject anything anywhere! But do remember though you must keep the format the same.. i.e. don't inject DXT1 over a DXT2, etc, otherwise it may break your map.

Spawns
Select a spawn and move it around with the IJKL, UO keys. What's nice is the movement is relative to your camera position, so it's pretty easy to move spawns wherever you want.

Save
No explanation needed here I think: just check what you want to be saved and click the button.

The render window
The main reason I started this project was to better my skills with the XNA framework (a 3D toolkit), so the renderer was really my main focus. I got sidetracked along the way though adding in all the editing tools, so I didn't get to everything :( not yet a least anyway. Sooo what is implemented, new stuff-wise?:
    - Transparent geometry, for the most part, can be seen through properly.
    - Alpha textures, and the bump map's alpha channel, are combined with diffuse textures for transparency in the right places.
    - Detail textures are rendered.
    - Only default model permutations are loaded.
    - More light is applied to textures, to mimic in-game textures

Frame Rate
It's only recently that I've realised, halo 2 instanced geometry, is geometry that should be drawn using instancing :) This is a way of rendering lots of the same models in different places, with almost no overhead at all (by shifting all the work on to the gpu). This isn't implemented in this release, but I will implement it in any future version which lead to a huge gain in frames.

FAQ
It's not working!!!
There's two pre-requisties required to run this aplication.
1. The .Net Framework 3.5 and
2. The XNA Runtime 3.1

Well I think I've touched on everything, so enjoy.

Special thanks to brok3n halo, tf6, XIU, Starglider, Photonic, MJP, jwatte and rentreg for their help.

Binary (Orbit b1.1)
Source (Orbit b1.1)

#2 User is offline   DoorM4n 

• A Remnant
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationHouston

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

Definitely useful! Great work, Prey! I'm glad to see you are posting your tools here! :)

#3 User is offline   Prototape 

• Wot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:23 PM

Nice to see you back doing some more apps Prey, this looks great.

#4 User is offline   ultama121 

• PipPip

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

... Damn. As it is I thought Prophet was pretty insane back when it was released. This takes it to another level. :V

#5 User is offline   TCK 

• Script, AI, UI widgets, cutscenes, solo gameplay.
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationSC

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:53 PM

Seems great, dude! So in the near future of this program can we expect AI editing capability? (I'm not entirely sure what's available already with the H2EK, as I'm just now beginning to try out some H2 stuff.)

#6 User is offline   NotZac 

• ¡!¡!¡!¡!
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:05 PM

View PostTCK, on 07 May 2011 - 09:53 PM, said:

Seems great, dude! So in the near future of this program can we expect AI editing capability? (I'm not entirely sure what's available already with the H2EK, as I'm just now beginning to try out some H2 stuff.)

This app is for Halo 2 Xbox, not Vista. Sorry mate.

#7 User is offline   TCK 

• Script, AI, UI widgets, cutscenes, solo gameplay.
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationSC

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:07 PM

Ah I could have sworn the tag said that...

#8 User is offline   theycallmechad 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

This looks fantastic! Makes me want to fire up the old Xbox and learn to skin again....

#9 User is offline   Mike 

• Pip
  • LocationHamilton Township, NJ

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:02 PM

Great app prey!

#10 User is offline   DarkShallFall 

• SandBox Guru
  • PipPip
  • LocationGrand Rapids MI

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:28 PM

You should add lightmap bitmap extraction and injection. Good job though.

#11 User is offline   Se7ensins 

• Pip

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

Awh sweet!
I'm gonna make my own version of this and call it my own!
Thanks!

#12 User is offline   bumlove 

• Learning to program, women and children first
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationT' West Ridding of Yorkshire

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

View PostSe7ensins, on 15 July 2011 - 02:39 PM, said:

Awh sweet!
Thanks!

Sounds like the Se7ensins ethos :blink:

This post has been edited by bumlove: 15 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

#13 User is offline   Hdroller 

• Pip
  • LocationNebraska HERP DERP

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:38 PM

i can't get it to work :( i installed both the things, twice. do you need 3.5 specifically or can u use 4.0. does it make a difference. I reeeaaaally want this to work.

#14 User is offline   bumlove 

• Learning to program, women and children first
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationT' West Ridding of Yorkshire

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

View PostHdroller, on 20 July 2011 - 04:38 PM, said:

.......do you need 3.5 specifically or can u use 4.0.

I was about to say v4.0 should be fine but I've just tried mine after upgrading to .nfw v4 and I get an exception as soon as I choose a map I might try the debug version and see what happens, although "prophet" did the same thing worked for ages, then it just didn't

#15 User is offline   Hdroller 

• Pip
  • LocationNebraska HERP DERP

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

immediately when i try and run it, it immediately goes unresponsive. It pisses me off.

#16 User is offline   Winger 

• Grunt Breeder/Hunter Worm Breeder
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:52 AM

If AI is added into your multiplayer map, will this be able to move their spawns/respawns easily?
It would be great if this could add AI into your maps.

This post has been edited by Winger: 24 July 2011 - 02:54 AM

#17 User is offline   mojobojo 

• Pip

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:17 AM

Hmm, I am having a bit of a problem. I have the redist, and the actual 3.1 SDK installed. When I run it, or compile and run it from source I get a FileNotFound exception.

#18 User is offline   Xerax 

• Double Faggot
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:17 AM

View Postmojobojo, on 08 August 2011 - 07:17 AM, said:

Hmm, I am having a bit of a problem. I have the redist, and the actual 3.1 SDK installed. When I run it, or compile and run it from source I get a FileNotFound exception.

Try installing VS2010 SP1, and then the latest version of the XNA game tools.

#19 User is offline   Prey 

• PipPip
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

View PostDarkShallFall, on 09 May 2011 - 06:28 PM, said:

You should add lightmap bitmap extraction and injection. Good job though.

If I update it, I don't see why not.

View PostSe7ensins, on 15 July 2011 - 02:39 PM, said:

Awh sweet!
Thanks!

?..

View PostHdroller, on 20 July 2011 - 04:38 PM, said:

i can't get it to work :( i installed both the things, twice. do you need 3.5 specifically or can u use 4.0. does it make a difference. I reeeaaaally want this to work.

View Postbumlove, on 20 July 2011 - 07:13 PM, said:

I was about to say v4.0 should be fine but I've just tried mine after upgrading to .nfw v4 and I get an exception as soon as I choose a map I might try the debug version and see what happens, although "prophet" did the same thing worked for ages, then it just didn't

View PostHdroller, on 20 July 2011 - 08:45 PM, said:

immediately when i try and run it, it immediately goes unresponsive. It pisses me off.

I'm running .net4.0 and I just tested it and it runs fine. Do you have the xna3.1 or 4.0 runtime installed? If so, is there any way you can give me more info about your error?

View PostWinger, on 24 July 2011 - 02:52 AM, said:

If AI is added into your multiplayer map, will this be able to move their spawns/respawns easily?
It would be great if this could add AI into your maps.

Not sure, I have never looked into AI, even when I was actively modding :) Perhaps try adding AI and see if you can? As for adding AI inside the app; if I ever update it I guess I could look into it.

View Postmojobojo, on 08 August 2011 - 07:17 AM, said:

If you ran it from source and got the error, does it say which file? And what .net and xna version do you have?

#20 User is offline   mojobojo 

• Pip

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:58 AM

View PostPrey, on 08 August 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

If you ran it from source and got the error, does it say which file? And what .net and xna version do you have?

I have it set to "Debug" and "Mixed Platforms", the xna framework 3.0, 3.1, and 4.0 are installed. I could not upgrade the project to VS 2010 for XNA 4.0 though.

An unhandled exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in Orbit.exe

Additional information: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework, Version=3.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6d5c3888ef60e27d' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

What is confusing me is that I have everything installed. So it shouldn't give me this error.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic