Halomods Community Portal: UI Textures - Halomods Community Portal

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UI Textures

I can help.

#1 User is offline   00m9 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 31-January 12

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

So I've made some great UI textures that greatly resembles Halo Anniversary. The problem right is that I don't know how to import it to CE. As a gift, I would like to contribute my talents on UI texturing to CMT's new UI if you CMT members are interested. Here is the video. http://youtu.be/zsOzatXdGx4

This post has been edited by 00m9: 03 February 2012 - 09:30 PM


#2 User is offline   LegioOfShadows 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 03-December 11

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

My god!

How did you do this? Actually, I don't wanna know. But this is epic. The button layout is great, never seen in a halo game, and...

God, I love that ring. Is that the rign from Anniversary? I don't have the game, so I wouldn't know.

But... dang boi, u left me speechless.

#3 User is online   Jaz 

  • Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 27-July 11
  • LocationEarth, Near The Sun, Milky Way

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

Needs work. Blurry textures, and the layout needs to be modernised. A streamlined UI doesn't mean you only have three buttons.

You also need to stick to CMT's style. Your style doesn't really fit SPV3 very well.

No offence, but you need to do a lot of work on this before it's anywhere near working well with CMT's mod. At the moment, it's a different style, and it's not very high quality.



( Yeah, CMT's work is awesome so if you're gonna make a UI for them, it needs to be just as awesome or awesomer ;) )

#4 User is offline   LegioOfShadows 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 03-December 11

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

SPV3's style? At the moment, all we have is a snowy landscape, cool weps, and covenant interior.

How is that in any wa a 'style?' Perhaps wait for more before you give such criticism, Jaz.

How is it not high quality? That looks EPIC, and it resembles Anniversary, butt he good parts.

Anyway,I think he's just showcasing his epic skillz. I think he just made it, and had an idea to serve CMT.

Good choice, boi.

#5 User is offline   00m9 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 31-January 12

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:28 AM

Thanks LegioOfShadow. You understand my view.

Jaz, I understand your critism, but it seems very unresonable. If you ever modded halo texture files, they only can go so high in quality. Surely I wish I can insert higher resolution or better model, but I simply don't have the resource to allow me. Here is just show what I can do simple with a skin over, not making a marketable product. If you can show me how CMT should look better, please do something to enlight me. I would be gladly to see your awesomer work.

#6 User is offline   renegade 

  • Part-Time Spartan
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 19-October 11
  • LocationEarth

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:08 AM

I think Jaz meant that the graphics (the Reach-font text, sticking to a streamlined, gradient design with silver and blue etc) isn't exactly like the CMT-SPV3 HUD or what he thinks is "CMT's style".
(I would agree, except... yeah, I don't think CMT has a set 'style', either.. I don't think "blue and blocky" is what CMT intended their style to be, at least...)

If anything, I think the button layout could use some more work... I'll be looking forward to seeing how you MEANT to lay it out. :)

Other than that, I think your UI looks good -it's as best as your personal style and the Halo engine will let you do, I think.

As for the Halo model, if you're alright with me modeling using Google SketchUp, I could try to make a better 3D model?
(Though you will need to make your own textures for it and convert the 3D model from either SketchUp, AC3D or Blender..)

-I had something like this for an idea. What do you think?

Posted Image


#7 User is offline   scopedknife 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 03-December 11

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

View Postrenegade, on 04 February 2012 - 02:08 AM, said:

I think Jaz meant that the graphics (the Reach-font text, sticking to a streamlined, gradient design with silver and blue etc) isn't exactly like the CMT-SPV3 HUD or what he thinks is "CMT's style".
(I would agree, except... yeah, I don't think CMT has a set 'style', either.. I don't think "blue and blocky" is what CMT intended their style to be, at least...)

If anything, I think the button layout could use some more work... I'll be looking forward to seeing how you MEANT to lay it out. :)

Other than that, I think your UI looks good -it's as best as your personal style and the Halo engine will let you do, I think.

As for the Halo model, if you're alright with me modeling using Google SketchUp, I could try to make a better 3D model?
(Though you will need to make your own textures for it and convert the 3D model from either SketchUp, AC3D or Blender..)

-I had something like this for an idea. What do you think?

Posted Image

that's great, lets see what lag thinks of it.

View Post00m9, on 04 February 2012 - 12:28 AM, said:

Thanks LegioOfShadow. You understand my view.

Jaz, I understand your critism, but it seems very unresonable. If you ever modded halo texture files, they only can go so high in quality. Surely I wish I can insert higher resolution or better model, but I simply don't have the resource to allow me. Here is just show what I can do simple with a skin over, not making a marketable product. If you can show me how CMT should look better, please do something to enlight me. I would be gladly to see your awesomer work.

damn it, I was thinking of changing the textures to some really hi-res ones that I got from skyrim-HD. :/

#8 User is offline   TrantaLocked 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 20-December 11

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:38 AM

Jaz, while I do like the CMT HUD used in the newest screen shots, this UI has as good or better production quality.

#9 User is offline   Amit 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 21-September 11
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

The menu is confusing. Stock Halo menu looks better. Also, you should not label your own work as "CMT Concepts" because it sounds like this is being put out by CMT. Just called it Halo CE UI concept and present it to them.

What I've said has little constructive criticism, but I like what you're doing. How about you position the menu items more like in here (minus the xbox bullshit):


This post has been edited by Amit: 09 February 2012 - 07:01 AM


#10 User is online   Jaz 

  • Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 27-July 11
  • LocationEarth, Near The Sun, Milky Way

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

@Amit

Finally, somebody's talking sense!

#11 User is offline   Docer 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 17-December 11

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

View PostJaz, on 11 February 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

@Amit

Finally, somebody's talking sense!



lol he's right

back in the topic is very good. but is not the CMT's UI. you should change the name

#12 User is offline   BobtheGreatII 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: CMT Person
  • Joined: 13-February 12

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

I actually really like the UI that Amit posted. That's a neat concept. Unfortunately I think it would only work if you had everything to the side like that. If only there was a way to set up the Pillar of Autumn to fly by the camera like that. Animated scenery perhaps? I can't remember all of the rules for UI's though.

#13 User is offline   Amit 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 21-September 11
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:27 AM

Maybe it doesn't have to fly by. Maybe it's possible to give the illusion that it is moving past the screen by using camera movement to feign it. But then comes the problem of making it become smaller and smaller as it approaches Alpha Halo.

This post has been edited by Amit: 15 February 2012 - 03:28 AM


#14 User is offline   BobtheGreatII 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: CMT Person
  • Joined: 13-February 12

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:14 AM

I definitely think that a CMT UI is in order once all of the levels are released. Something classy and simple.

#15 User is offline   Timo 

  • Admin
  • Group: Moderators
  • Joined: 15-January 11
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:14 AM

View PostJaz, on 03 February 2012 - 11:05 PM, said:

Needs work. Blurry textures, and the layout needs to be modernised. A streamlined UI doesn't mean you only have three buttons.

You also need to stick to CMT's style. Your style doesn't really fit SPV3 very well.

No offence, but you need to do a lot of work on this before it's anywhere near working well with CMT's mod. At the moment, it's a different style, and it's not very high quality.



( Yeah, CMT's work is awesome so if you're gonna make a UI for them, it needs to be just as awesome or awesomer ;) )


Unfortunately Halo's UI works by taking a 640x480 "box" and stretching it to the resolution you use. I've spent a fair amount of time tooling around with UI tags and never found a way around it. No matter what you do, a UI will always look a little fuzzy in resolutions higher than 640x480. You can kind of work around it by using text rendered by halo (instead of bitmaps) but it's pretty ugly and aliased.

#16 User is offline   Spartan314 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 06-August 11

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

:o
Even with anti-aliasing with video card?

#17 User is offline   Timo 

  • Admin
  • Group: Moderators
  • Joined: 15-January 11
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:30 AM

Nope. Look at any of the text past the main menu and you'll see what I mean. I guess aliasing was the wrong word - none of the text is jaggy, but it's all soft without any nice defined edges.

#18 User is online   Jaz 

  • Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 27-July 11
  • LocationEarth, Near The Sun, Milky Way

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

View PostTimo, on 23 February 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

Unfortunately Halo's UI works by taking a 640x480 "box" and stretching it to the resolution you use. I've spent a fair amount of time tooling around with UI tags and never found a way around it. No matter what you do, a UI will always look a little fuzzy in resolutions higher than 640x480. You can kind of work around it by using text rendered by halo (instead of bitmaps) but it's pretty ugly and aliased.


Does OS have any features available to assist with this?

I remember seeing an OS UI on Modacity(Yes I know I've mentioned it like 100 times, but it's awesome!), but there was no mention of why exactly it's actually an 'OS' UI. Surely there must be something in OS that assists with UIs?

#19 User is offline   renegade 

  • Part-Time Spartan
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 19-October 11
  • LocationEarth

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:49 AM

I hope OS does allow that -then the menu can actually look decent!

In the meantime, I'm sorry for it being ten days late (real life kept me from completing the 3D models), but I finally finished a simple version of the updated Halo ring!

I think this level of details is enough for the UI's purposes -after all, the total circle is made of 120 segments, and the inside curve is made of 12 vertices... It might almost be too much; sorry if it is.
(though the original ring had about 150 segments for a full circle)

Right now, the ring is modeled to look similar to the Halo 3 version of the ring; the Anniversary version will take a LOT more time and might cause low-end computers to crash upon completion, but it'd look epic.
Should I continue to make it Anniversary-ish (which will take a lot longer to do), or would you like the current model as-is?

-oh right. Here's a quick look at the model! 'hope y'all like it!


Model is currently in a 1/1000 scale -so every kilometer on the real Halo is only one meter in this model. Will change in final version if requested.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by renegade: 27 February 2012 - 12:06 AM


#20 User is offline   Timo 

  • Admin
  • Group: Moderators
  • Joined: 15-January 11
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostJaz, on 24 February 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Does OS have any features available to assist with this?

I remember seeing an OS UI on Modacity(Yes I know I've mentioned it like 100 times, but it's awesome!), but there was no mention of why exactly it's actually an 'OS' UI. Surely there must be something in OS that assists with UIs?


I'm honestly not sure, you'd have to ask kornman. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to Open Sauce's potential.

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users