Halomods Community Portal: How would one optimize/upgrade their computer to handle CMT? - Halomods Community Portal

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How would one optimize/upgrade their computer to handle CMT?

#41 User is offline   Amit 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

The i5 is overkill for Halo, even this mod, but it's better overall for newer games. You will not be disappointed with the i5-2320. However, that HD6450 will be very disappointing.

#42 User is offline   Spartan314 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Ok lol. But is my previous graphics card (Nvidia Geforce 210) better to use than the AMD Radeon HD 6450, or should I stick with the Radeon?

#43 User is offline   Jaz 

• Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationEarth, Near The Sun, Milky Way

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

View PostSpartan314, on 10 April 2012 - 10:39 PM, said:

Ok lol. But is my previous graphics card (Nvidia Geforce 210) better to use than the AMD Radeon HD 6450, or should I stick with the Radeon?

Stick with the Radeon.

#44 User is offline   VoidsShadow 

• The Exalted Servant
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:38 AM

Go for the top! Go save up and get the best graphics card available: http://www.geforce.c...geforce-gtx-680
This is the best GPU available. Keep a keen eye out for when it is in stock again! I can't believe they ran out!

#45 User is offline   BobtheGreatII 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: CMT Person

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

View PostVoidsShadow, on 11 April 2012 - 05:38 AM, said:

Go for the top! Go save up and get the best graphics card available: http://www.geforce.c...geforce-gtx-680
This is the best GPU available. Keep a keen eye out for when it is in stock again! I can't believe they ran out!

This is extreme overkill for Halo. It will be great for newer games, but a waste of money if you don't push it.

On the nvidia side, you may look at the GTX 400 series or the 500 series.

Currently I'm running 2 gtx 470's in SLI. But I'm also a PC gamer, so I tend to use them quite a bit. You can find them rather cheap now.

#46 User is offline   Amit 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:40 AM

View PostBobtheGreatII, on 11 April 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

Currently I'm running 2 gtx 470's in SLI. But I'm also a PC gamer, so I tend to use them quite a bit. You can find them rather cheap now.

If you could find them at all. Pretty sure all the GTX 470's went the way of the Phenom II X4 955 series and related CPUs. The GTX 400-series is too power hungry anyways.

#47 User is offline   Spartan314 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

So when the new computer gets here, I can swap out the PSU and the GPU with no worries right?

#48 User is offline   BobtheGreatII 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

View PostSpartan314, on 13 April 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

So when the new computer gets here, I can swap out the PSU and the GPU with no worries right?

Power supply shouldn't be an issue. Depending on the motherboard and the power supply. Some newer motherboards require a 20 +4 pin connector but can run with just 20, and some will just require a 20 pin connector. It's sort of strange. As for the GPU, the same thing goes. As long as it matches whatever slot is on the motherboard it shouldn't be an issue. As long as you're not mixing up AGP, PCI, or PCI-E you should be okay.

#49 User is offline   Jaz 

• Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostBobtheGreatII, on 14 April 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

Power supply shouldn't be an issue. Depending on the motherboard and the power supply. Some newer motherboards require a 20 +4 pin connector but can run with just 20, and some will just require a 20 pin connector. It's sort of strange. As for the GPU, the same thing goes. As long as it matches whatever slot is on the motherboard it shouldn't be an issue. As long as you're not mixing up AGP, PCI, or PCI-E you should be okay.

He needs to have counted up the power supply requirements before actually getting the PSU, though, doesn't he? Otherwise it'll overload.

#50 User is offline   BobtheGreatII 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

It sounded like he already had one. And you can run a computer on a lesser power supply, it just won't work very well, if at all. Personally I have a Corsair 1000 watt power supply.

#51 User is offline   Jaz 

• Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

I need your help, guys.

I'm planning to get a new computer so that I can finally run VISR, and run ultra+graphics on Skyrim and other games.

My budget limit is £310. (Or $492 if you're American)

Suggest away!... please :)

#52 User is offline   Amit 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

View PostJaz, on 16 April 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

I need your help, guys.

I'm planning to get a new computer so that I can finally run VISR, and run ultra+graphics on Skyrim and other games.

My budget limit is £310. (Or $492 if you're American)

Suggest away!... please :)

With that budget, you're not gonna get much of a gaming machine, much less an ultra capable PC for Skyrim, but you can build the foundations of a mainstream gaming machine. And since you live in the UK, prices are most likely gonna be bullshit. Go with the most bang for your buck components. If you can still find any of the Phenom II X4 line from AMD, you should probably grab it because they are the best performing chips in their price range. Unfortunately, most have those have disappeared quickly after the new Bulldozer chips have been released. In that case you'll want to go for either an Intel i3-2120 or AMD FX-4100 based build to keep the cost down (performance is still excellent for gaming, but multithreaded performance goes out the window). Also, with hard drive prices the way they are now, you'll want to reuse any current drives you have to save money. I should think you should be fine with a Radeon HD 6870 (prices are cheap in Canada, around $160 CAD = £100). RAM should be pretty cheap too, I picked up 8GB of Kingston 1600Mhz memory for $50 back in november, but go with 4GB to keep costs down. You shouldn't really have performance issues with that standard amount. As for the motherboard...that will depend on which CPU you decide to go with. Generally Intel chipset motherboards are more expensive than AMD chipset motherboards for some reason. There are some decent boards between £55 and £70 for both Intel and AMD motherboards. Make sure that the chipset on the motherboard you choose supports the CPU you chose.

This post has been edited by Amit: 16 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

#53 User is offline   Jaz 

• Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:02 AM

http://www.dabs.com/...-hdmi-7NH9.html

How good is that compared to the 6870?
I'd much rather use Nvidia products as I'm aware of how unstable and unsupported ATI is.

E: There's a slightly more powerful version too?
http://www.dabs.com/...=55050000&src=3

E2:
Started finding components and went way over my budget before I even found a hard drive and cd drive. xD

Did my own research and figured out the 6870 is far more powerful than the 550 ti, but unfortunately as happens with a lot of retailers, the currency conversion's been corrupted and taxed along the way, so the card's ended up being, well around the same price from Canada but with a £ symbol instead of a $. xD
(Well, slightly less for a weaker version, but still starts at about £130-£140, then goes up to about £160)

This post has been edited by Jaz: 17 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

#54 User is offline   Amit 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

View PostJaz, on 17 April 2012 - 05:02 AM, said:

http://www.dabs.com/...-hdmi-7NH9.html

How good is that compared to the 6870?
I'd much rather use Nvidia products as I'm aware of how unstable and unsupported ATI is.

Who fed you those lies? All GPUs are stable unless you start overclocking them. And ATi releases driver updates regularly, just like ATi. Generally, if you go with an ATi GPU you are getting the bang for your buck. ATi GPUs are more efficient overall. They use less power, generate less heat, and are usually quieter than nVidia cards due to less heat. nVidia cards are mostly raw performance, usually better overclocking, and they come at a high price.

The HD 6870 is in a whole other tier than the 550Ti and is priced accordingly. The GeForce 550Ti is a great card for the price, though and I definitely think you you buy it if you can afford it. I run a Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 Vapor-X and I can play Battlefield 3 on a mix of high and ultra settings at 1680x1050 with an average of 35-45 FPS. The 550Ti is better than my GPU, so that should give you peace of mind that if you buy it, you will be able to play most games on high settings (granted the CPU is good enough as well).

E: There's a slightly more powerful version too?
http://www.dabs.com/...=55050000&src=3

Ignore these special editions. They hardly offer anything over the regular version. £10 more for a 10 Mhz increase? That's next to nothing and I see the same cooler on both those GPUs so that means there is no advantage of using one over the other. Having the same cooler and GPU = having the same maximum overclock potential.

E2:
Started finding components and went way over my budget before I even found a hard drive and cd drive. xD

I warned you. Currently, you cannot afford to buy a new hard drive. You will have to reuse your current one. That goes for the Optical drive and Operating System, too.

Did my own research and figured out the 6870 is far more powerful than the 550 ti, but unfortunately as happens with a lot of retailers, the currency conversion's been corrupted and taxed along the way, so the card's ended up being, well around the same price from Canada but with a £ symbol instead of a $. xD
(Well, slightly less for a weaker version, but still starts at about £130-£140, then goes up to about £160)

Yeah, a lot of BS, isn't it?

This post has been edited by Amit: 18 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

#55 User is offline   Jaz 

• Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostAmit, on 18 April 2012 - 03:07 AM, said:

The HD 6870 is in a whole other tier than the 550Ti and is priced accordingly. The GeForce 550Ti is a great card for the price, though and I definitely think you you buy it if you can afford it. I run a Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 Vapor-X and I can play Battlefield 3 on a mix of high and ultra settings at 1680x1050 with an average of 35-45 FPS. The 550Ti is better than my GPU, so that should give you peace of mind that if you buy it, you will be able to play most games on high settings (granted the CPU is good enough as well).

Found a 3.2Ghz triple core CPU to go with it.

Gonna buy the rest of the computer first though, and need to sell some games to get the GPU. I have tons of stuff I can sell on ebaY to raise my budget though :D

Oh and my monitor's 1333xsomething I think so I don't actually need as much power as a 6870 provides, though I might move up to a higher resolution monitor eventually. Hopefully though, by then games will be so optimized that a computer half as powerful could run 'Ultra', if companies start bothering with real optimization.

Oh and before you ask, yes, I've checked power usage and I've checked all ports. I've been looking at the motherboard+CPU combo for about a year now, just been looking for a GPU mainly. Oh and I found a great deal on really good quality RAM. Turns out RAM's gone down in price tons since I last searched. It used to be £14 for quite low quality 4GB RAM. Now it's £20 for some of the highest quality 4GB RAM available at 1600Mhz.

This post has been edited by Jaz: 18 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

#56 User is offline   Amit 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:07 AM

View PostJaz, on 18 April 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

Found a 3.2Ghz triple core CPU to go with it.

Meh, good enough for now, but it'll start to show its age soon enough. Should be fine for the next year or so.

Oh and my monitor's 1333xsomething I think so I don't actually need as much power as a 6870 provides, though I might move up to a higher resolution monitor eventually.

That's a good strategy there. I'm following the same thing. My resolution is 1680x1050 (mid-range now) and I plan to upgrade my monitor to a 1920X1200 (the new standard) resolution monitor when my GPU kicks the bucket, which should be in a few years. I'm guessing the resolution that you use is 1366x768? That's rather small, but not a problem. The 550Ti should tear through games at that res.

Hopefully though, by then games will be so optimized that a computer half as powerful could run 'Ultra', if companies start bothering with real optimization.

Don't count on that ever. More games are released these days as unoptimized garbage. Warhammer 40k: Space Marine, however, was probably the most optimized game I have played in a very long time. It played so consistently across multiple setups that I scarce believed it to be the Essence engine that runs Company of Heroes.

Turns out RAM's gone down in price tons since I last searched. It used to be £14 for quite low quality 4GB RAM. Now it's £20 for some of the highest quality 4GB RAM available at 1600Mhz.

RAM is pretty damn cheap these days, but the best RAM wouldn't be so cheap as that. I'd say the best set of 4GB 1600MHz RAM sits around £34, but those versions are overkill. GSkill makes some of the most reliable and well performing mainstream gaming RAM for around your price range. What you need to keep in mind is that most CPUs don't support using clock speeds higher than 1333Mhz so the motherboard will underclock the RAM to that automatically. You probably won't even be bothered to complain because it'll be fast enough for your needs. In the future if you upgrade to a CPU that supports those faster speeds, the MB will use them. My RAM is 1600MHz, but runs at 1333Mhz due to that CPU limitation. No big deal. I just tightened the timings of the RAM for efficiency and carried on.

#57 User is offline   Jaz 

• Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

View PostAmit, on 21 April 2012 - 04:07 AM, said:

Don't count on that ever. More games are released these days as unoptimized garbage. Warhammer 40k: Space Marine, however, was probably the most optimized game I have played in a very long time. It played so consistently across multiple setups that I scarce believed it to be the Essence engine that runs Company of Heroes.

When game developers notice what's going on with modders and other third parties, I'm pretty sure they'll realise optimisation is worth it.

There's a mod for Skyrim that's kinda like a post processing lag reducer. It optimizes code while the game's running and really efficiently without quality loss. It boosts fps by a massive 40fps for some people!

So, yeah, optimisation isn't that unbelievable.

#58 User is offline   Amit 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

What I'm saying is that optimization used to be key (among many other important things) in PC games. That seems to have dropped off drastically in recent years. Developers often don't have the time to optimize games due to the Publisher's time constraints on them to push the game out the door. That or they just don't want to put in the effort and time to make it a better game. Most publishers have taken a notice of modding and done their best to suppress it so they can saturate the market with bullshit DLC. The few good publishers like CD Projekt and Bethesda Softworks have sought to reverse that and let the players control the game. I believe Bethesda did not optimize Skyrim more than they already did because they knew he modders would have more time to go in and make the best tweaks that they could.

#59 User is offline   Spartan314 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

The computer gets here tomorrow. (FINALLY)
And looking over the order, I realized it was an i3, not an i5 processor :(
This is still okay, right?

#60 User is offline   Amit 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Yeah man. The i3's are still great for gaming, but since they are dual-core, you won't enjoy the same amount of multi-threading performance you'd get out of the i5.

This post has been edited by Amit: 25 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users