Halomods Community Portal: WaeV's Programming Adventures - Halomods Community Portal

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Code
WaeV's Programming Adventures

#41 User is offline   WaeV 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationCosmos

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

View Postnintendo9713, on 02 September 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

That's really cool WaeV!

Thanks! :)

I'm thinking about what the interface should be like, and am toying with a few possibilities. Here's a mockup with Halo embedded inside the modding tool's window: http://i.imgur.com/1cVrtiw.png

I'm also looking into hooking into the Halo console, so I can run Python code directly from in-game.

#42 User is offline   nintendo9713 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

That's really badass. I never had much interest in real time modding, although I can still remember the anxiety I got 8 years ago after making an hour of changes all over HMT / Sparkedit and going to test waiting to see it load and the aftermath.

I understand changing it in real time, but is it permanently saved after? Such as if I run your tool with bloodgulch.map, change AR [proj] to rocket and exit everything and load the game without your tool, it will still be swapped?

#43 User is offline   WaeV 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationCosmos

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

Halo doesn't copy the map back to disk, so by default changes aren't saved; no. Since this is all scripted, however, it should be easy enough to just log what scripts were run, then re-run them on a .map file.

Currently working on runtime cloning of tags. If that works, I'll look into runtime tag importation from maps on disk!

This post has been edited by WaeV: 05 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

#44 User is offline   nintendo9713 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:43 AM

Still very awesome none-the-less, and if you can import from other maps tags in real time, that will be like having a giant playground.

I assume that swapping in real time affects multiplayer whether you're hosting or client? As neat as it'd be to have dynamically changing weapon variations...

This post has been edited by nintendo9713: 06 September 2013 - 05:45 AM

#45 User is offline   WaeV 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationCosmos

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

View Postnintendo9713, on 06 September 2013 - 05:43 AM, said:

I assume that swapping in real time affects multiplayer whether you're hosting or client? As neat as it'd be to have dynamically changing weapon variations...

I think it's much like regular modding in that the host is king. A client will see their own mods, but the host will keep correcting them.

I'd love to see an entire gameful of people with runtime editing networked together - when anyone makes a change, it is propagated to everyone else who's playing.

#46 User is offline   nintendo9713 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

At my undergrad university, our CMPS lab had a network drive and I at first had Portable Halo (had a few maps) on there but it eventually involved to HaloCE_setup.exe, a text file with 16 legitimate keys, and a custom maps folder.

It took longer to copy the maps to the custom maps folder than to install everything and we probably LAN'd minimum twice a week since every computer had access to it.

If I was still there I'd definitely be interested in seeing how this affects real-time, such as randomly swapping [proj] that they can't see sot hey have to guess what's going on (not seeing needles come out the AR and people are just exploding).

#47 User is offline   WaeV 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationCosmos

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:54 AM

Demo images!
Sorry the text isn't very readable; imgur resized these on me.

Choose Halo's resolution with the sliders
Posted Image]

Once you have the desired resolution, click launch
Posted Image]

Observe Halo and the Python console
(the 'console' is pretty hacked together right now; that may change in the future)
Posted Image]

Load the map, observe the needler's projectile reference
Posted Image]

Presto change-o! See the projectile has changed
Posted Image]

#48 User is offline   nintendo9713 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

That's amazing! I wish I would have had this when learning programming years ago. I would love to have this for campaign, getting pinned down, turn AR[proj] into rockets and pistol into a10-beam-proj (or a tank shell) in real time. (I would finally be able to beat a halo on legendary solo.)

#49 User is offline   WaeV 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationCosmos

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

Are we the only two in this whole forum?

#50 User is offline   nintendo9713 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

I imagine there are many lurkers for nostalgic purposes. I'm always on a computer as a graduate student so I check the forum twice a day. I still talk to 2 'active' people with halo modding on Skype, but it's just for fun. None-the-less, this has had to have been a great experience for you and I would definitely tinker with this (I've somehow managed to make though 5 years of computer engineering without using Python, and if I had to learn it I'd prefer through a fun way such as this). I wish I could have been a part of the team that was reverse engineering halo in 02/03. I thank kornman00 for keeping as many docs alive as possible because now with the knowledge, it's extremely interesting to me.

#51 User is offline   WaeV 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationCosmos

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

You should swing by www.opencarnage.net! That's where most of the ModHalo.net regulars have migrated to. The Halo 1 community has actually spiked in activity recently, up to what I'd say is a medium simmer.

I don't remember exactly how or why, but OpenCarnage and MacGamingMods have sort of collided and partially fused, and there's quite a handful of active programmers in our community now. We usually hang out in IRC at irc.gamesurge.net, channel #macgamingmods.

The Mac version of Sparkedit, called Swordedit, has had some big improvements to its rendering engine, and we're trying to port it back to Windows. Zero2 has been releasing a bunch of cross-platform (Mac, Windows) tools for map protection, exploration, etc. We also have three or so mods in active development.

#52 User is offline   nintendo9713 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:50 AM

I'll check it out for sure, I love to see what people are doing with the game now. I wish I didn't have to jump around to see new content but that's the internet.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users