Halomods Community Portal: User Introductions - Halomods Community Portal

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

User Introductions

New user to Halomods? Introduce yourself here!

Poll: User Introductions (118 member(s) have cast votes)

What modding "era" are you from?

1. Voted Grizzled Ancient (Halo 1 Xbox) (27 votes [22.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.88%

2. Old Skool (Halo PC, Halo 2) (85 votes [72.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.03%

3. Fresh Face (Halo 3 and later) (6 votes [5.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 User is offline   theycallmechad 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

View PostAequitas, on 01 June 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

Hello, hello! I was feeling a bit nostalgic tonight and decided to check and see if Halomods ever came back. To my surprise, here it is! It's nice to see some familiar old faces (names).

I was a big Halo fan from the beginning. When the French version of Halo 2 leaked online I downloaded it and figured out how to softmod my Xbox. I'd already paid for it, so I had no moral qualms with pirating it. After playing through it and since I now had a modded Xbox, I decided I should see what this Halo modding thing was all about - I was pretty sure that I'd been glass-walled a few times on Xbox Connect and XLink Kai. I came in during the early days when the new map file structure was being reverse engineered. It was hard work but fun and challenging and I was hooked. Doing everything with Hex Workshop became pretty tedious so I taught myself to program and started writing applications to automate things. I joined The Fantastic Six and had some good times. I made mods and applications. Some mods I made for the applications. Some applications I made for the mods. Some I shared. Some I didn't. I shot warthogs out of plasma pistols on Xbox Live. I had fun with signatures on the forum. I made the Serenity Repository. After mostly wrapping up with my Halo hijinks I got a degree in computer science. I'm currently a lead server software engineer at a social gaming company in San Francisco.

I'm still impressed by the cleverness of many of my Halo modding cohorts and I hope you're all doing well.

;o)

Aequitas [TF6]

Aequitas,

Nostalgia has hit me hard this morning as well, it seems.

Indeed your contribution to the modding community was great; however, don't fail to mention your greatest: Uber Bitmap Tool: Normal. I had completely left modding (who am I kidding, I was a texture artist, not a "modder") when you gave a select few of us access to this amazing tool. I jumped back in. I am still blown away by its simplicity and effectiveness. Sure, other programs out there could do it, but not in the way yours did.

I'm happy to hear you are doing well. I'm amazed at the collective talent those of Halomods had. If you smart people had any real brains, you would have gotten together and opened your own game studio. I would have purchased and played your games. With the modelers, programmers, scrip writers, and texture artists (myself excluded) in this community, you guys would have produced some pretty sweet content.

Thanks again for your contributions. My best pieces of work couldn't have happened without your tools.

-Chad

(man, I used to think my signature and avatar were cool. This dark blue background and my sloppy photoshopping back in the day make them look like crap now!)

This post has been edited by theycallmechad: 01 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

#222 User is offline   Aequitas 

• Pip

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

View Posttheycallmechad, on 01 June 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

(man, I used to think my signature and avatar were cool. This dark blue background and my sloppy photoshopping back in the day make them look like crap now!)

After people started getting into signatures, I wrote a script that would look at the http referrer, scrape that page for other users' signatures, and randomly slice theirs together to generate mine. If either a http referrer from the halomods domain wasn't available or there weren't any other signatures on the page, it would just build something random from the signatures it'd already cached. I even made a little admin interface where I could browse and invalidate its cached signatures and their metadata. It was a fun weekend project.

#223 User is offline   masterchief 

• Pip

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

masterchief reporting

#224 User is offline   MEGAVKNG 

• PipPip

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:17 AM

I joined a while back, but i came back since everyone at halomaps acted smart by using the n word.

#225 User is offline   killzone64 

• Pip

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:59 AM

just preparing for halomaps death, i have been mapping for halo ce for 4 years now, mostly porting assets but i also have made some custom stuff. thought i might drop by here to show off some of my work in progress projects away from the negativity of halomaps...

#226 User is offline   MEGAVKNG 

• PipPip

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

View Postkillzone64, on 26 October 2013 - 03:59 AM, said:

just preparing for halomaps death, i have been mapping for halo ce for 4 years now, mostly porting assets but i also have made some custom stuff. thought i might drop by here to show off some of my work in progress projects away from the negativity of halomaps...

I assume that would apply to modacity too.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic