Halomods Community Portal: Open Sauce - Halo Custom Edition - Halomods Community Portal

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

H1_CE
Open Sauce - Halo Custom Edition

News, updates, etc for OpenSauce on HaloCE can be found here

#21 User is offline   Gary 

• ¬ 1337
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne, FL

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

@ 0:24
Is that a depth buffer? Does that mean we could maybe bring in soft particles?

Though, I assume it would be rather difficult, but could we, you know... bring in shadow mapping for dynamic shadow casting lights? or am I kinda expecting too much now? As I know this would be a rather complicated system to implement, but would be so awesome.

I'm not a HaloPC modder, so I wouldn't really know what kind of access you have to the engine.

#22 User is offline   TheFieryScythe 

• Group: Administrators
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:58 PM

I actually did a proof of concept for soft particles a while ago:
Posted Image
Posted Image

But nothing else came of it. For anybody "in the know" who's interested, to do something like this would take some custom vertex and pixel shaders to pass screen space vertex position to the pixel shader, which would then fade the particles using a comparision of the vertex Z depth and the depth buffer. Some additions to the effect tag to add variables that control the softness (if there is space!) would be needed and hooking of the particle effect shader handling code to hook them up with the pixel shader would also be necessary.

I can't see dynamic shadow casting lights being feasible though.

#23 User is offline   Gary 

• ¬ 1337
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne, FL

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

Why didn't you continue it? That looks significantly better then what we got now?

That's too bad we can't have any dynamic shadow casting lights, but I'm not surprised, Halo is from 2001.

#24 User is offline   x86melter 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:22 PM

Since Stubbs has SecureRom 7 protection, how does this effect development with OS? Is the engine not modifiable in that protected state? I had to download a cracked version of the exe to analyze it. I'm not sure that all dumped versions have the same static memory addresses, or do they? I read up a little on defeating SecureRom and it's mostly a pain in the ass that no one wants to deal with!

Either way, I was STOKED when I saw a plethora of the same Halo 1 functions in Stubbs, so I am digging in. Yeeheeeeee!

#25 User is offline   Patrickssj6 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:21 PM

Up to 1.07 HaloCE was SecureRom'd as well. Dumps should be all the same...but many cracks are repacked.

This post has been edited by Patrickssj6: 09 August 2011 - 07:21 PM

#26 User is offline   x86melter 

• PipPip

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:36 AM

Now that I've given it some thought, it would make sense that the memory addresses wouldn't change with a new dump since static addresses are referenced every where in code, duh. But how would OpenSauce work with the SecuRom'd code or would the protection have to be stripped first?

#27 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:46 AM

Once the game is loaded into memory, the engine's code/data should all be in an a deciphered state, so you should be able to modify it. I've just never had success in running Stubbs on any of my PCs (past the nvidia splash), so I don't do anything with the PC version of the game. I've even tried using the un-securom versions of the exe that have been released, and I still have issues.

#28 User is offline   x86melter 

• PipPip

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:35 AM

I couldn't get Stubbs to run either. Maybe one day we can track this bug down. Looks like an awesome game no doubt!

#29 User is offline   Patrickssj6 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

View Postkornman00, on 10 August 2011 - 01:46 AM, said:

Once the game is loaded into memory, the engine's code/data should all be in an a deciphered state, so you should be able to modify it.

Not entirely true for most packers (e.g. packers with nanomites) but I think it's true for SecuRom.

OpenSauce would have to be modified to recognize the renamed sections etc. or a signature system would work.

This post has been edited by Patrickssj6: 10 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

#30 User is offline   Higuy 

• PipPip

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

Hey, so would it ever be possible to allow Co-Op with open suace, possibly in the future? Or if not, through some kind of external application? I realize that normally Halo CE does not support this over the netcode.

#31 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:23 PM

None of the engine extensions in OS are done based on section names. If Halo1_CE was made to support Stubbs, it would just need the memory addresses of essential code/data. However, they didn't use the codebase which was used for HaloPC, so there are a lot of structures which would be different, ignoring the fact that Stubbs has its own code modifications (which alter the code and data structures too).

Oh, and the PC build of Stubbs runs on OpenGL IIRC. So none of the GFX related stuff of OS would apply.

#32 User is offline   Higuy 

• PipPip

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:47 PM

With Open Suace would you be able to add a "Alternate Transition'in'" Block in the sound_looping tag? They have this in Halo 2.

Also, whats the latest build, and does it contain motion blur and such? I'm no programmer really, just wanted to try it out for a change.

#33 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:18 PM

I haven't reverse engineered much of the sound runtime, so IDK. Plus, if there's no padding for an extra tag_reference field, then I can't add it into OS as I won't change existing tag groups (ie, sound_looping) unless there's space for the new field

Yeah, the latest build has motion blur. It's just a shader which FS wrote IIRC.

#34 User is offline   Higuy 

• PipPip

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:04 AM

Is this the latest build:
http://www.modacity....date-2-%28RC%29

or is this:
http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

If it's the second, how do I go about installing it? Or do I have to compile it in a scenario using OS_HEK? Sorry, just haven't gone around reading much. Just saw some random people on youtube trying it out, and I wanted to try it out on Lumoira (not on their maps either it looked like).

#35 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:23 AM

We haven't put out an official release yet. We've only provided CMT with a beta build for their project as part of an agreement (basically, they help us put it thru the motions both ingame and in the tools, and we provide on-hand support in usability and bugs). I told them that they could give the beta installer out to whomever, but that if they're non-CMT, they won't get any kind of support like we're giving them. We're not going to release an installer to the public until we finalize our formats (mainly our custom tag groups) and know we've covered all the bugs we can. FS is working on some newer shader tag stuff and I'm working on some new scripting additions, so there is still stuff which is changing.

#36 User is offline   Higuy 

• PipPip

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:33 AM

Oh okay :)

Just thought it was basically open, guess not. Thanks though, looking forward to testing this out!

#37 User is offline   OwnZjoO 

• PipPip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:21 AM

It is open, in fact it has the most open and free license possible at the moment, you just need developer knowledge to be able to work with it outside of getting direct support from kornman00 or other project contributors. You are free to check out a copy using Mercurial under the source link on that page, like I said it most likely won't do much for you if you don't have a developer background.

Korn I really like what you're doing with this, it's really cool and I hope that some day I get the chance to really dig into this code. I'm too busy with school and work at the moment to really look it over, but the stuff I have looked at is pretty neat. Keep up the good work man and thanks for releasing it using a Free/Libre license.

#38 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:34 AM

Thanks OJ

I'm hoping to give some attention to the Halo2_Xbox code after I finish up the current HaloWars stuff and do a little bit more work on the Halo1_CE codebase (assuming a more serious project proposal that I'm waiting on doesn't take off). I had xbox7887 try the code back in Feb 2010-ish (I've only refractored the code since then), but for whatever reason it was crashing when we loaded the module onto the xbox (it worked at one point, I promise!). Last time I actively worked with my Xbox1 module (ie, "trainer") system was probably back in 2006, so it will be interesting to get back into that and having things work again.

#39 User is offline   SnipeYa 

• PipPip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

Will it process any faster that the original?

#40 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:37 PM

What?

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic