Halomods Community Portal: Open Sauce - Halo Custom Edition - Halomods Community Portal

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

H1_CE
Open Sauce - Halo Custom Edition

News, updates, etc for OpenSauce on HaloCE can be found here

#41 User is offline   Jaz 

• Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationEarth, Near The Sun, Milky Way

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

How hard is it to apply normal maps? If it's not incredibly hard, could I try applying them to the default maps?

#42 User is offline   teh lag 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

The process is extremely easy: there's a new block field in the shader_model tag; you add an element to it which then represents "this tag uses the OS shader enhancements". The block then contains fields to reference a specular-color map, a normal map, detail-normal maps and various settings for all three of those.

It's not really something you can just "apply" to a map though - you of course need the actual normal-map first, and this is all tag stuff like anything else so you need to compile a map to put it ingame.

#43 User is offline   Jaz 

• Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

teh lag, on 26 August 2011 - 03:00 PM, said:

The process is extremely easy: there's a new block field in the shader_model tag; you add an element to it which then represents "this tag uses the OS shader enhancements". The block then contains fields to reference a specular-color map, a normal map, detail-normal maps and various settings for all three of those.

It's not really something you can just "apply" to a map though - you of course need the actual normal-map first, and this is all tag stuff like anything else so you need to compile a map to put it ingame.

Ah okay. Well, I'll try to learn how to use normal HEK first then I guess.

#44 User is offline   Gravemind 

• Pip

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:03 AM

i know with OS its possible make things happen when you press a certain key (such as the OS menu when you press F7)
so would you be able to make a sort of "key map" for scripting? like key events, such as "on_key_press(int key_code)" so that you can run certain scripts when a certain key is pressed. itd be pretty useful.

another thing, how much room is left in the buffer of the weapon tags? would you be able to add a "3P weapon" toggle which would change to 3P view when the weapon is picked up? (or even activate a certain camera_track tag set in the yelo globals, so that you could put the camera in whatever position, rather than predefined)

i know you said on the last page that you weren't taking requests, but these things would be extremely useful and i'd love to see them in the final release. you've done extremely well so far with OS, good luck :)

#45 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:33 AM

Allowing scripts to directly access the keyboard input and hardcode to specific keys is far, far less than ideal. Eg, users can't remap such input. I'm also not very interested in doing scripts which can only be used in campaign (with the exception of what is already there, and helping CMT out).

I forget how much useless padding is left within the weapon tag. However, I'm not interested in modifying an existing tag's structure for such a specific feature (in most cases, including a new tag block\reference\data field would render the tag unusable with the stock HEK). I've talked to CMT about adding a new flag (which the stock HEK would probably whine about, but ultimately ignore) that says "hey, I'm a third person weapon", and the game would then switch to a third person camera and such. I actually don't remember the outcome of that talk ATM, but since I'm not actively working on it, I think they/we/I didn't really see it worthwhile enough (ie, used enough in multiple weapons)

#46 User is offline   Gravemind 

• Pip

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:34 PM

did you ever find out if it was possible to allow vehicles to attach to each other without rendering the vehicle unusable? like allowing "vehicle" tags in the "attachments" section, or even with the "attach" script function, so when they attach you can still enter and use them

#47 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:57 PM

Um, I believe object_attach still allows vehicles to continue operating as normal. IIRC, CMT used it for doing their vehicle boarding stuff.

#48 User is offline   Gravemind 

• Pip

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:14 AM

when i used object_attach the first vehicle worked fine, but the attaching vehicle wasnt able to be entered unless you were already in it or if you used a scripted entry. like how halo2 and 3 have the turrets as attachments to the main vehicles for easy permuations

#49 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:28 AM

Halo2+ doesn't use object attachments for such setups, it uses model variants defined via the (object) "model" tag, which Halo1 doesn't have.

#50 User is offline   Gravemind 

• Pip

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:34 AM

yea thats what i meant, attached in a general way, not the actual "attachments" section.
also, how does the dual wielding work in OS? will it have the "press ... to dual wield ..."? and will it keep the ammo ammounts right and such?

#51 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:37 AM

The faux dual wielding system isn't implemented in OS. The idea was originally prototyped by zteam. I only added the tag definitions for it as a future possibility. If it was ever implemented, it would be as close to later halo games as possible.

#52 User is offline   Gravemind 

• Pip

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

"faux" dual wielding? and by as close to later games as possible to you mean that it will have proper ammo counting?

#53 User is offline   Patrickssj6 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:01 AM

SnipeYa, on 24 August 2011 - 11:35 AM, said:

Will it process any faster that the original?

Oh thee suckup on thy kornmans arse

kornman00, on 24 August 2011 - 04:37 PM, said:

What?

#54 User is offline   Jaz 

• Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:43 PM

Will there be any support for higher resolutions in OS? Vidmode messes up chat.

#55 User is offline   ChokingVictim 

• PipPip
  • Group: CMT Person

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:06 AM

Gravemind, on 30 August 2011 - 08:48 AM, said:

"faux" dual wielding? and by as close to later games as possible to you mean that it will have proper ammo counting?

First, hey guys, it's been awhile. Here's a quick demonstration, it's really rough though. I do hope to finish it eventually, but i need to figure a few things out first. There's a few other recent things on my youtube channel showing Open Sauce work I'm doing for CMT. Dual wielding is a side project since CMT can't spare the tagspace required for it.

This is only a proof of concept, I'm fully aware of the flaws shown in this video.

This post has been edited by ChokingVictim: 15 September 2011 - 01:18 AM

#56 User is offline   Gravemind 

• Pip

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:14 AM

ChokingVictim, on 15 September 2011 - 01:06 AM, said:

First, hey guys, it's been awhile. Here's a quick demonstration, it's really rough though. I do hope to finish it eventually, but i need to figure a few things out first. There's a few other recent things on my youtube channel showing Open Sauce work I'm doing for CMT. Dual wielding is a side project since CMT can't spare the tagspace required for it.

This is only a proof of concept, I'm fully aware of the flaws shown in this video.

well the concept looks good considering how rough it is. but what i meant is, what exactly is 'faux' dual weilding? are there different types of dual weilding?

-video-

-video-

^ sorry about that, i tried to edit the post and it went all screwy... but anyways, whats faux dual weilding?

#57 User is offline   ChokingVictim 

• PipPip

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:39 AM

It doesn't work like halo 2/3's dual wielding system on the technical side, but on the user end (if this were to be fully implemented) you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. So in a sense it's "faux dual wielding". You could already kind of do this with scripts but only for item_collection tags placed on the map, using open sauce I can do it with any weapon on the map even if it's dropped by a player or ai.

This post has been edited by ChokingVictim: 15 September 2011 - 02:41 AM

#58 User is offline   Boba 

• im a blonde anime girl
  • PipPip
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:38 AM

Really cool, man. :D

Great to see you back, too!

#59 User is offline   Gravemind 

• Pip

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:33 AM

ChokingVictim, on 15 September 2011 - 02:39 AM, said:

It doesn't work like halo 2/3's dual wielding system on the technical side, but on the user end (if this were to be fully implemented) you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. So in a sense it's "faux dual wielding". You could already kind of do this with scripts but only for item_collection tags placed on the map, using open sauce I can do it with any weapon on the map even if it's dropped by a player or ai.

oh that kind of faux, i get it now lol cant wait to see a fully functional version :D

#60 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:30 AM

UPDATE!

Let 9/22 be known as the day that Halo1 saw its first custom message delta (essentially HPC's networking packet setup) be successfully sync'd.

That is, I finally figured out the problem that was causing my custom network code (code which just builds off Halo's existing network code) tests to fail.

jcap helped me test the changes about 10 minutes ago. The test sync'd to his machine perfectly.

What does this mean? MP can be updated to sync more data. Devices machines? Could now potentially be sync'd by code, not by script hacks. It really is limitless. Well, the ideas are only limited by someone's knowledge of the engine and where specific code is executed (ie, you need to know where to place code hooks to time your game changes just right...like when a client joins a game, you would need to update their device machine's state then).

My only regret is that I didn't realize the (really simple) problem until now...a time where I'm presented with the opportunity to work on a serious non-Halo project. Hopefully I can finish the custom networking model before I have to fully move on so that new networking packets can be easily (ie, without having to know too much of the low-level stuff) added by OS developers other than me.

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic