• You cannot reply to this topic

Stubbs
Stubbs the Zombie

#1 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0
  • Group: Administrators

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:19 AM

For those of you who have played Stubbs the Zombie, Matt Soell has written some behind the scenes about the game (with possibly more to come in the future).

For those of you who haven't played the game...stop playing all these unoriginal zombie games, especially CoD zombie crap (apparently the only good reason to buy CoD these days?), and play the game. The engine behind Stubbs is based on the original Halo engine. If you're that shallow, that should be reason enough to at least try it. Buy it for Xbox1 (and play it on your 360), PC or Mac. Fun fact: it used to be on Steam. Sad fact: it's no longer on Steam.

I own it on all three platforms, but your best bet at actually getting it to run may be with the Xbox. PC users can try this tutorial, which got the game (I own the CD SKU, not Steam) working on my Win7x64 ATI-card machine. YMMV

I would lov to add some support for the PC release in OpenSauce sometime in the distant future. Internally, the engine used a DirectX8 API to OpenGL wrapper on the Mac and PC (they didn't get to fork HaloPC's codebase, or maybe it was a dev decision not to. Aysper did the actual port IIRC). This means that a lot of what we do for CE won't translate to Stubbs. Fun fact: A lot of the networking code still appeared to be largely intact (albeit, H1X-era).

Anyway, thought I'd share that link and make a proper Stubbs thread for those that care. Two birds, one stone ;p

Also, check out Ray's the Dead. It's like Stubb's spiritual successor. Since, you know, a giant dirty mouse owns the actual Stubbs now.

This post has been edited by kornman00: 20 November 2013 - 07:08 AM
Reason for edit: nvm, you can actually run it on the PC!

#2 User is offline   nintendo9713 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:11 AM

:0, never got a chance to play it, but that's awesome none-the-less.

#3 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0
  • Group: Administrators

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

I've been mostly using twitter for news/updates regarding Stubbs.

My current plans as far as OS support goes:
  • Fix mouse from appearing outside the game window (DONE)
  • Windowed mode (IMPLEMENTED but, still need to add command line arg)
  • Add a -adapter command line arg, like in HPC (TODO)
  • Re-enabling the in-game console, so you can toggle cheat_deathless_player and such (WIP)

#4 User is offline   DoorM4n 

• A Remnant
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationHouston

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:33 AM

I think it's disappointing that the game didn't get much attention. Halo was always stealing the limelight from the other titles. :P Thanks for posting this thread, as you have caused me to seek a copy of the game. I remember beating campaign in four and a half hours one night, and I haven't touched it since. I hope the PC version is just as fun though!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic