Halomods Community Portal: Humanity's Descent Halo Indie Game - Halomods Community Portal

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

H1_PC\Mac
Humanity's Descent Halo Indie Game

The Official Thread for the Halo Indie

#1 User is offline   roxasguy 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationMontrose, CA

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:52 PM

Hello, people of Halomods. I'm roxasguy, the head of Skydive Industries, a non-profit indie game studio. I am here to ask for assistance on our upcoming title, Humanity's Descent.

(I apologize if this was posted in the wrong section. If so, please move.)

What is this game?

A Halo Indie. It's been in development since late 2009 in the Unity3D engine. However, it wasn't until late 2013 taht the development speed started to boost. This game will feature a full length original campaign fit for the Halo universe. It includes a new cast of characters, enemies, weapons, and locations. The multiplayer will experiment with many variations of space combat.

Why are you posting this, exactly?

I am posting this topic here because it is populated by developers who have experience in Halo-style assets. That makes you guys one of the most eligible people.

What would we help with?

Well, you can choose. Here's a list of the open jobs:

3D Modeler
Animator
Sound Engineer
Texture Artist
Unity3D Particle Artist

Now, here's the jobs that are currently filled. NOTE, just because we already have one of the following people, doesn't mean we won't accept more!

Environment Artist
Composer
Concept Artist
Programmers
Story Author (Myself)

(The only job that we cannot accept more people for is the Story Author.)

Is there anything to show us of the game?

Yes. Here's various concept images for possible multiplayer maps.

Devil's Canyon

Posted Image

Asgard

Posted Image

Desolation

Posted Image

Are you guys allowed to make this Halo game?

Yes we are. We, among others, are permitted to do so under specific rules given by Microsoft Studios. You can view them for yourself here: http://www.xbox.com/...developer/rules

How do I contact you?

Either reply here, PM me, or email me at roxasguy@gmail.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Halo © Microsoft Corporation. Humanity's Descent was created under Microsoft's "Game Content Usage Rules" using assets from Halo. It is not endorsed by Microsoft and does not reflect the views or opinions of Microsoft or anyone officially involved in producing or managing Halo. As such, it does not contribute to the official narrative of the fictional universe, if applicable.

#2 User is offline   nintendo9713 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:44 PM

Well, that's pretty neat. I assumed this was a spam post, but all 3 concept art pictures have 0 results from reverse image search along with you guys actually having a website (although it's obviously brand new).

I've been developing in Unity for over a year now, and I've modded Halo for 7 or 8 years. The first thing I did was convert all my old Halo models into .fbx for testing purposes. Now, I don't know what business model you have for non-profit recreation of a game that's been recreated quite a lot, even if it has your own little twist.

I will assume it will take more than concept art to talk someone with the skill of 3D Modeling / Animation to work on a free project. Doing it to "boost your portfolio" isn't an artist's favorite words.

Now if for some reason I wanted to recreate Halo in Unity, I would use TornadoTwin's FPS Control asset package, rip all the models and textures from the game, then tweak everything accordingly. While being time consuming, it wouldn't be very creative, and it's just not that useful given the level of modding for the game.

If you're heading an indie game studio, I'd strongly suggest creating your own Intellectual Property, and work towards something with a business model and not a tally mark on a portfolio.

Also, I once made a 2D halo warthog gunner game, and I love it. Here's an album: http://imgur.com/a/GPLAy

This post has been edited by nintendo9713: 26 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

#3 User is offline   roxasguy 

• Pip
  • LocationMontrose, CA

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:40 AM

nintendo9713, on 26 May 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

Well, that's pretty neat. I assumed this was a spam post, but all 3 concept art pictures have 0 results from reverse image search along with you guys actually having a website (although it's obviously brand new).

I've been developing in Unity for over a year now, and I've modded Halo for 7 or 8 years. The first thing I did was convert all my old Halo models into .fbx for testing purposes. Now, I don't know what business model you have for non-profit recreation of a game that's been recreated quite a lot, even if it has your own little twist.

I will assume it will take more than concept art to talk someone with the skill of 3D Modeling / Animation to work on a free project. Doing it to "boost your portfolio" isn't an artist's favorite words.

Now if for some reason I wanted to recreate Halo in Unity, I would use TornadoTwin's FPS Control asset package, rip all the models and textures from the game, then tweak everything accordingly. While being time consuming, it wouldn't be very creative, and it's just not that useful given the level of modding for the game.

If you're heading an indie game studio, I'd strongly suggest creating your own Intellectual Property, and work towards something with a business model and not a tally mark on a portfolio.

Also, I once made a 2D halo warthog gunner game, and I love it. Here's an album: http://imgur.com/a/GPLAy

Hello! Sorry for the SUPER late reply. Apparently the email notifications don't work... :/

This project ran from fully custom code in it's early days, but after what we call the "Crash of 2011", we have been using UFPS to gain time. In all honesty, the TornadoTwins' FPS Control is the worst package I've seen on the asset store that I've actually used in terms of FPS packages. UFPS provides an insane amount of customizability and control, and not to mention source code, all for a very nice price.

But anyway... We have plans to talk things over with the big guys at Microsoft about funding and things like that, as well as presenting a few gameplay vids. Wish us luck! ;)

As of now however, gameplay must remain confidential. I'm sure you don't want to see a game that looks exactly like Halo: Reach anyway, since we're using Reach inspired placeholders.

Also if it helps you sleep at night, we're working on a few smaller projects and one new IP alongside this one.

We still have our plans set for releasing to the Windows PC. Xbox One is still in our interest of course, but this will be discussed when we present the rest of our stuff.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic