• You cannot reply to this topic

Site downtime "fixes"

More like kludges, but whatevs

#1 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0
  • Group: Administrators

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:06 PM

So I'm sure we all know how this site likes to get reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllyyyyyy unresponsive every few months. Some of you may or may not know, but the site is hosted on DreamHost. Using shared hosting.

Earlier, I cleaned up a bunch of old files/DBs/services from my hosting in hopes that it stops the horrific downtime we seem to get every quarter. One of those services was related to OpenSauce. We were hosting some maps that the cloud-like maps downloader service provides. Now, my hosting has unlimited bandwidth, but there were additional services that ran to support those download requests when they came in. So now there's one less 'master' server hosting maps for HaloCE, but also fewer processes competing for resources.

I also disabled IP.Blog/Content and a few other IPS apps. Most weren't used by the community or by the "staff".

Hopefully all these changes are enough to run this main forum, the HMC archive, plus a few other internal things without hitting my shared hosting resources.

Of course, I could upgrade to DreamHost's VPS and get a 300MB instance for 15/mo, but I can't justify those costs (it's like a 60% increase in hosting fees alone, on a site ran for free).

So yeah, I just figured you guys ought to know what was going on. I would say "sorry" for the inconvenience...but again, this site is hosted at no costs to you all :P.

#2 User is offline   nintendo9713 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

I know we appreciate you keeping it up. Can I ask how much it costs to keep a site/board like this running (with the Archive)? I only own one website and it's extremely low traffic and I spend like $40 a year for it all to be hosted, but there's no download files ( I offload all of it to media-fire and mega.co)

#3 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:35 AM

It's a little over a $100 for baseline shared hosting, assuming you pay monthly or for the year. Price goes down the further you buy out (up to 10 years). Then there's the domain name costs. It's unlimited bandwidth, and as I recall, storage, but with shared hosting you can't really run any major services it seems (I can't find any documentation on how much resources each instance in the shared pool gets). I have no plans to let the site fall apart, but due to the limited modding community activity, I also don't have the desire to really improve what's there :P. That and I really don't care for web development.

#4 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:53 AM

I've put the site in "performance mode" for the night due to some observed slowness with the site. Will turn it off in the morning.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic