Halomods Community Portal: TSC:E and SPv3 at 60fps? - Halomods Community Portal

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TSC:E and SPv3 at 60fps?

Is it possible? If so, how can we do it?

#1 User is offline   JungleHunger 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:50 AM

Hi CMT members, I can't remember where I saw this but I recall reading that CMT creations (TSC:E and SPv3) can be played at 60fps, even though the Halo engine, even with OS, is limited to 30fps. I wanted to ask if someone who knows how to set this up can show myself and others who aren't savvy in halo modding and are interested in how to achieve this how to get this working? If it's not possible I am in no way disappointed, these projects are of such a high quality that reaching a higher fps isn't a top priority. Thanks in advance if someone knows how to help.

I can't express how impressed I am by CMT and how grateful I am that we still have people like you to keep our community together! Merry Xmas and a happy, productive new year to you all!!!

This post has been edited by JungleHunger: 28 December 2014 - 06:36 AM

#2 User is offline   Beaucephal 

• PipPip

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:20 PM

Generally speaking, 60fps animations aren't possible. There are hacks and workarounds for it but nothing so far that's in any way feasible to implement. There have been a few proof-of-concepts floating about that generally involve re-animating everything to play at half-speed, and then setting game speed to 2. However, this causes problems with the physics, so that again has to be accounted for, a task that nobody as yet has managed to surmount.

tl;dr version - CMT have never considered doing 60fps animations, because currently it is not possible.

#3 User is offline   Masterz1337 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: CMT Person

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

Both mods can run at 1080p, 60 FPS just like the MCC. You can do it via the UI and is very simple to set up.

#4 User is offline   Jaz 

• Sky Walker
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationEarth, Near The Sun, Milky Way

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:04 PM

But are the animations timed for 60fps? I believe it was kirby or maybe Ifafudafi who said something about playing the game in 30fps because that's how the animations are actually timed.

#5 User is offline   kornman00 

• SourceGuy 2.0
  • Group: Administrators

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:00 AM

You may be able to get 60FPS+, but the engine will always run out at 30 game-ticks a second. I believe even for H1 in the MCC this is still the case. It wasn't until H2 when they made the game update rate be configurable at runtime.

#6 User is offline   Masterz1337 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: CMT Person

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:39 PM

Korn is correct.^ That's why H2 in the MCC plays different than the Xbox original with some of the weapon ROFs being a bit faster than they use to be.

#7 User is offline   Beaucephal 

• PipPip

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:37 PM

View Postkornman00, on 29 December 2014 - 01:00 AM, said:

I believe even for H1 in the MCC this is still the case.

MCC H1 is weird. They definitely retooled a LOT of stuff to run at 60fps, but not everything. As best I can tell, cutscenes run at 30, but actual gameplay and game-specific animations have all been rejigged to run at 60.

https://www.youtube....h?v=qIuXBqNxcF8

https://www.youtube....h?v=wwIFX-1N8Sk

#8 User is offline   JungleHunger 

• Pip

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:23 AM

Beaucephal said:

Generally speaking, 60fps animations aren't possible. There are hacks and workarounds for it but nothing so far that's in any way feasible to implement. There have been a few proof-of-concepts floating about that generally involve re-animating everything to play at half-speed, and then setting game speed to 2. However, this causes problems with the physics, so that again has to be accounted for, a task that nobody as yet has managed to surmount.

tl;dr version - CMT have never considered doing 60fps animations, because currently it is not possible.

kornman00 said:

You may be able to get 60FPS+, but the engine will always run out at 30 game-ticks a second. I believe even for H1 in the MCC this is still the case. It wasn't until H2 when they made the game update rate be configurable at runtime.

Thank you, that's the answer I was looking for. That's what I thought about doing Beaucephal with the game speed concept, but for me that would be modding at a level I'm not currently at (I really don't know much about the halo engine, hence the questions). I do appreciate the info though!

Beaucephal said:

MCC H1 is weird. They definitely retooled a LOT of stuff to run at 60fps, but not everything. As best I can tell, cutscenes run at 30, but actual gameplay and game-specific animations have all been rejigged to run at 60.

https://www.youtube....h?v=qIuXBqNxcF8

https://www.youtube....h?v=wwIFX-1N8Sk

Wow, that is quite odd. Although I guess it kinda makes sense, kinda... Posted Image Is this what CMT have done? As in made several things run at 60fps, while keeping other things, like cutscenes and what-not, at 24-30fps?

Also, Happy 2015 to you all from Aus! Posted Image Good luck with all your future projects, whether it's inside or outside the Halo CE engine! Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic