Halomods Community Portal: CMT's The Silent Cartographer: Evolved - Release & Beyond - Halomods Community Portal

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CMT's The Silent Cartographer: Evolved - Release & Beyond

I can't believe it myself.

#101 User is offline   woodchucker 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:46 AM

When playing the game, for some reason the CMT's The Silent Cartographer, yelo. keeps crashing.

#102 User is offline   SlashandDash 

• Pip

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:07 AM

Hello, first off I want to thank you all for the hard work you put into the map over the last three years. Amazing stuff!

Right now I'm having the same problem as pancaxe. I have everything updated and installed properly. Now the map I downloaded is a 7z file, and this might sound stupid, but am I supposed to unzip that first? If not, what could be preventing me from playing the map?

Any help is appreciated!

#103 User is offline   Masterz1337 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: CMT Person

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:52 PM

you need something to decompress it, I use winrar which you can get from rarlabs.com

#104 User is offline   TitanBP 

• Pip

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:42 PM

I know this sounds stupid, but how do i access the Map?

#105 User is offline   TitanBP 

• Pip

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:57 PM

i know this sounds stupid, but how do you access the map file? the map is not called "b30" and is instead called "b30_evolved" so how do i access it?

#106 User is offline   Spartan314 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:09 AM

You have to open up console.
Make a shortcut to Halo Custom Edition.exe
Open the shortcut properties.
add a [space]-console to the end of the directory saying "C:\\...blah lbah blah...Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition..."
Save and open up the game via the shortcut.
Hit the ` or ~ button. type [map_name b30_evolved] (no brackets)
Should start up.

If that doesn't work, just download the Universal UI here and overwrite your UI.map
Universal UI

#107 User is offline   SlashandDash 

• Pip

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:05 PM

View PostMasterz1337, on 27 March 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

you need something to decompress it, I use winrar which you can get from rarlabs.com

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier :/ thanks a ton!

#108 User is offline   zloba 

• Pip

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:21 PM

I have massive sound tearing any fix for that?

#109 User is offline   woodchucker 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:11 PM

View Postwoodchucker, on 24 March 2015 - 12:46 AM, said:

When playing the game, for some reason the CMT's The Silent Cartographer, yelo. keeps crashing.

Any help?

#110 User is offline   Spartan314 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:27 PM

Do you have an exception error? Or some kind of crash report? You should send it in to them.

#111 User is offline   Skyfire7557 

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:23 PM

Can someone help me? Whenever I try to start up this map I get a black screen and can't do anything except access dev commands.

#112 User is offline   woodchucker 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:27 PM

maybe, im not sure where the file location is

#113 User is offline   teh lag 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:09 PM

It's here:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Title : CMT Evolved Tagset
Release Date : 04-12-2015
Author : CMT
Description : The full tagset for the CMT Evolved project

-------------------

i. Information
ii. Quick guide
iii. Credits

-------------------

i. Information

This is every non-scenario-specific tag that was a part of the CMT Evolved project. (To save everyone trouble, the scenario tags are being released separately). We've also included some of our VFX source files and some fixes for stock tags.

You will need a functional tagset extracted from the stock game and all of its singleplayer maps. You will also need Open Sauce version 4.0 or later. Other than that you should be able to drop the \cmt\ directory into your \tags\ directory and everything should just work.

Be careful about the contents of \ui\ -- read the documentation to get an idea of what's going on there. ***DO NOT*** overwrite your UI tags without backing them up first!

You'll find a whole bunch of documentation in the \doc\ directory of this release. This is a hugely informal text dump containing information on the hacks, techniques, design principles, and other things that went into TSC:E and its tagset. It is meant to help clear up questions you might have about what was done, how it was done, and occasionally why it was done. It is not meant to be a comprehensive encyclopedia of each tag and all its relevant data -- if you want those kinds of details then go look in the tags.

This release is not compatible with prior CMT tag releases. Our organizational structure has changed dramatically and you will only create misery for yourself if you try to drop it in with old CMT stuff that you have lying around. You've been warned.

This release also includes some fixed versions of stock tags that break when loaded by OS 4.0 due to weird unused garbage data that they contain. These tags are the Engineer, Pilot, Halo vehicle, B30 falling box, and D40 invisible damage detector. You will find these in \tags-stock-osfix\.

-------------------

ii. Quick guide for lazy people who want to just stick the tags in a map

If all you want are the models and textures, read \doc\misc hacks\Optimizations.txt and you should be good to go.

If you want nothing more than to transpose TSC:E assets onto stock H1 gameplay, an entire tagset has been made for you that does just that. Read the bonus \tags\Evolved H1-spirit.txt and you should be good to go.

If you're using ANY .damage_effects, biped\vehicle collision geometry, or .actor_variants, you MUST read doc\design rules\Evolved damage scale.txt, or you're basically guaranteed to mix things that aren't designed to work together correctly.

If you want to transpose the Evolved tags into your map without any modification, make sure to read everything in misc hacks, and consult the units folder for information on the Hunter back guard, Brute armor system, Grunt backpacks, and Jackal shields. Also consult everything in vehicles for information on the various systems at work there (ghost boost, ball shade physics, etc.)

If you want to add new tags or put the Evolved tags alongside other tags, read everything. Everything. If you don't you are guaranteed to have a strange and un-fun mishmash of things that do not play well together. Don't be lazy and make a lopsided mess when you could instead take an hour or two a week and make everything consistent, attractive, and fun to play.

-------------------

iii. Credits

(Rather than clutter this up with everyone's name, just see credits.txt)

http://www.mediafire...release_core.7z

(This has also been submitted to the Halomaps archive)

#114 User is offline   Collin 

• Pip
  • Group: Validating

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:53 PM

View Postteh lag, on 12 April 2015 - 09:09 PM, said:

It's here:

Posted Image
Posted Image

http://www.mediafire...release_core.7z

Thank you, Teh Lag! I am that guy who wants to transpose stuff to the original H1 campaign, except I am very new to modding and I'm what I'm about to ask is going to sound stupid. Also, it may not be the appropriate place to ask, so if that's the case my apologies.

Anyhow, I understand how to extract and replace tags for a map, but where I get stuck is trying to build the cache file for the scenario. I get errors every time I do it using either Tool in command prompt or using Tool++. I plan on uploading the whole campaign redone with the TSC:E assets to Halomaps, but I definitely don't know what I'm doing and could use some help.

Thanks in advance!

This post has been edited by Collin: 12 April 2015 - 11:56 PM

#115 User is offline   RabbitFood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:46 AM

Is that all in the tag pack? Some of those weren't in TSC:E.

#116 User is offline   Masterz1337 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: CMT Person

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:47 AM

It includes some prototype weapons and other things that were cut, some of it will be seen in SPV3. (Focus carbine model and banshee model for example)

#117 User is offline   teh lag 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:03 AM

The raw BSP files are here! We split this off from the rest of the scenario-specific release because the source files alone were 450M compressed. Scripts, scenario tags, and patch v1.3 are probably coming this weekend.

Anyhow:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Title : CMT B30 Evolved BSP Raw Data Release
Release Date : 04-14-2015
Description : BSP raw data files for CMT's The Silent Cartographer: Evolved

-------------------

i. Information
ii. Quick guide
iii. Credits

-------------------

i. Information

This is every BSP source file for The Silent Cartographer: Evolved that we could track down and organize. The archive includes raw BSP and lightmap-rendering .max files, .tif textures, .psd and .xcf originals when possible.

BSP-specific data can be found in \bsp-data\.

This also includes data files for the scenario-specific objects, when we could find them. You'll find these files in \data\.

Some of our source files are (unfortunately) missing, and some were never properly organized. Maybe one day someone will be able to track down those files.

-------------------

ii. Quick guide for lazy people

Almost all of our .max source files store their images using *relative paths* instead of absolute paths. This was so we could easily send source files among members and not have to constantly re-reference textures. You will need a \data\ directory with CMT textures in it to your 3ds max image paths in order to load textures for these files.

All \bsp-data\ .max files should be compatible with Max 2012 or later; some may be compatible with Max 2010. All \data\ .max files are compatible with Max 2010; some may be compatible with Max 8. \data\ .max files are contained in a \_max8\ or \_max10\ sub-directory when possible to identify which version they're compatible with.

Generally speaking, CMT data directories are subdivided as follows:

Root directory: well-organized stuff that the game cares about (\models\ -> jms, \physics\ -> jms, \animations\ -> jma, etc)
\__src\ directory: well-organized stuff that art programs care about (\models\_max#\ -> .max, \bitmaps\ -> .tif, \bitmaps\_xcf\ -> GIMP .xcf, etc)
\__orig\ directory: poorly-organized stuff that art programs are about

\__src\ mirrors the root as closely as possible. References (like textures) to other files in \__src\ should be to other files in \__src\ -- that means we avoided referencing root textures in source max files. This helped us separate the concerns of making art and making the art match the game's formats.

If you we didn't know what to do with something, or weren't in the mood to properly organize it or internalize its references, it was dumped into \__orig\. Then at least it's explicitly "poorly-organized" as a warning for hapless travelers.

-------------------

iii. Credits

http://www.mediafire..._release_bsp.7z

#118 User is offline   teh lag 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:14 AM

View PostCollin, on 12 April 2015 - 11:53 PM, said:

Thank you, Teh Lag! I am that guy who wants to transpose stuff to the original H1 campaign, except I am very new to modding and I'm what I'm about to ask is going to sound stupid. Also, it may not be the appropriate place to ask, so if that's the case my apologies.

Anyhow, I understand how to extract and replace tags for a map, but where I get stuck is trying to build the cache file for the scenario. I get errors every time I do it using either Tool in command prompt or using Tool++. I plan on uploading the whole campaign redone with the TSC:E assets to Halomaps, but I definitely don't know what I'm doing and could use some help.

Thanks in advance!

Make sure you have OpenSauce 4.0 installed for your HEK tools, and make sure you're building your maps with os_tool.exe. (There are plenty of guides out there on how to use it). Probably you also want to use build-cache-file-ex, instead of build-cache-file. Tool++ won't work with os_tool.

Once you've taken care of those, everything should be fine.

#119 User is offline   Collin 

• Pip
  • Group: Validating

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:10 PM

View Postteh lag, on 15 April 2015 - 02:14 AM, said:

Make sure you have OpenSauce 4.0 installed for your HEK tools, and make sure you're building your maps with os_tool.exe. (There are plenty of guides out there on how to use it). Probably you also want to use build-cache-file-ex, instead of build-cache-file. Tool++ won't work with os_tool.

Once you've taken care of those, everything should be fine.

Thank you for the pointers, teh lag! I have been playing with this all week and I guess I'm just not smart enough to figure this out. I'll just have to wait till someone else does it or till SPv3 comes out. Anyways, thanks again!

#120 User is offline   teh lag 

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:22 AM

At long last.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Title : CMT B30 Evolved Scenario Tags and Scripts
Release Date : 04-22-2015
Description : All scenario-specific tags and script source files for CMT's The Silent Cartographer: Evolved

-------------------

i. Information
ii. Quick guide
iii. Credits

-------------------

i. Information

This is every scenario-specific tag and script source file that was a part of CMT's The Silent Cartographer: Evolved.

You will need a functional tagset extracted from the stock game and all of its singleplayer maps. You will also need the CMT Evolved core tagset release. You will also need Open Sauce version 4.0 or later. Other than that you should be able to drop the \cmt\ directory into your \tags\ directory and everything should just work.

You'll find a small amount of documentation in the \doc\ directory of this release. This is a hugely informal text dump containing information on the hacks, techniques, design principles, and other things that went into TSC:E and its tagset. It is meant to help clear up questions you might have about what was done, how it was done, and occasionally why it was done. It is not meant to be a comprehensive encyclopedia of each tag and all its relevant data -- if you want those kinds of details then go look in the tags.

Scripts are under the \scripts\ directory. They have their own set of documentation under \scripts\doc\. The scripts include a general readme explaining the main principles of the Evolved scripting system (readme_scripts.txt), as well as a reasonably comprehensive tutorial for working with Halo scripts (and particularly our scripts). We hope that it is useful!

We've also included a few utilities that we found useful during development. These include a tag_dump analysis tool and a basic framework for parsing + analyzing .hs files. (Both tools, and the script build system, require Python to run.)

This release is not compatible with prior CMT tag releases. Our organizational structure has changed dramatically and you will only create misery for yourself if you try to drop it in with old CMT stuff that you have lying around. You've been warned.

-------------------

ii. Quick guide for lazy people

If all you want are the tags, just plop the \cmt\ directory into your tagset and it'll be good to go.

If you also want to start modifying scripts, read the \doc\ directory under \scripts\. All of it. Otherwise, you will be lost and very confused, and may end up trying to wade through the uncommented, anti-formatted HSPP output. You don't want to end up in that situation. You'll also need Kornman00's HSPP tool, which is a port of the GPP (general pre-processor) tool for Halo's scripts. The HSPP is required by the .bat files that take our script source files and turn them into .hsc files that Sapien can compile. You can download it here: http://hce.halomaps....ex.cfm?fid=6552

You'll also likely need Python (we used 3.X during development) to build the scripts and use some of our utilities. (However, it's not 100% required and you can disable the operations that need it).

Some of our tools assume that you have certain environment variables available on your operating system. Check the \utilities\ documentation directory for more.

-------------------

iii. Credits

http://www.mediafire...ase_scenario.7z

Patch 1.3 has also been released.

Version 1.3 (04-22-2015):
- fix horrible inconsistent map behavior caused when player backtracks footpath approach to cartographer after starting down vehicle path
- fix some fp view clipping at high FOV for shotgun, plasma rifle and plasma pistol
- fix ai freezing itself if player is slow to exit server room
- fix pathfinding sphere radius values on crashed pelican
- fix over-dark pr in catacombs
- fix population issues in waterhall - carbine offset and missing door
- fix duplicate crate in pit
- fix badly-placed torch in cave
- add zoomvisr to rl and noble (zoomable) pistol
- add one final noble feature

This will likely be the final patch for the map. We've fixed all that we have the remaining energy to fix.

http://www.mediafire..._release_1.3.7z

I will be submitting these to the Halomaps archive after I get some sleep, for it has been a busy day.

There is one last source release bonus coming. We wanted to include it with this, but it's taking a bit longer than expected and we didn't want to delay 1.3 any further. Our final performance approaches.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic